Post Your Favourite Slow Cooker Recipes

I'm rediscovering my slow cooker. I love the way you throw a bunch of raw stuff in it and in 8 hours you have a meal fit for a king.

I'll start you off with this insanely good pot roast recipe. Best I've ever had - hands down. The sauce is a great balance of sweet, salty, and spicy. Kept sneaking off the kitchen to taste a bit of it with a spoon.

Amazing Balsamic Umami Roast Beef

Ingredients:

• 1-3 lb. beef roast (I used a chuck eye roast)
  • 1 1/2 C beef stock
  • 1/3 C balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 C cabernet sauvignon or other dry, red wine (add extra 1/3 C stock if not using wine)
  • 3 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 3 chopped garlic cloves)
  • 1-3 tsp. salt (to taste)
  • 1/4 C brown sugar or substitute (I used Splenda brown sugar)
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley (or around 3T fresh chopped parsley)
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions:

1. Turn slow cooker to low heat.

2. Whisk all ingredients except beef roast and parsley in the bottom of your Crock Pot or slow cooker. Whisk until everything is mixed together and broken down.

3. Place roast in the center of the pot so that it is surrounded by liquid.

4. Roast the beef in the slow cooker on low for 10-12 hours, turning the roast halfway through cooking if possible.

5. Remove the roast with tongs (it will be very tender, so it will likely break apart) and shred with two forks.

6. Ladle a few spoonfuls of the liquid over the top of the beef. Top with parsley. If desired, after removing the roast, turn the slow cooker to high heat and remove the lid. This will thicken and condense the sauce.

Minor translation required Please.
What is red pepper flakes? Do you mean chili flakes?
1-3 lb roast??? I assume you mean from 1 to 3 lb roast?
These might seem obvious however only to those used to your nomenclature.
We don't have brown splenda up here in OZ. I suppose a few drops of Parisian essence added to the white splenda would work the same?

We don't have brown splenda up here in OZ. I suppose a few drops of Parisian essence added to the white splenda would work the same?
Oh sorry! Yes I remember talking to an Australian once and needed a translation myself when I was confused about what "Copha" was.

Yes, chili flakes.
Anywhere from 1 to 3 lb roast is correct.
Any kind of brown sugar or substitute would be fine. I might use a tiny bit less than what the recipe calls for though.

My wife and I use the crock pot ALL THE TIME! It literally never gets put away. If I'm not grilling, she's putting stuff in the crock pot. Sometimes we do both at the same time!

• 1 to 2kg chuck roast or chuck steak
  • 600mil beef stock
  • 75mil balsamic vinegar
  • 75mil merlot or shiraz (add extra 75mil stock if not using wine)
  • 45mil extra virgin olive oil
  • 40mil soy sauce
  • 25mil Worcester sauce
  • 15mil dijon mustard
  • 3 chopped garlic cloves
  • 5 to 15g salt (to taste)
  • 60g brown sugar or substitute (don't use splenda too expensive at Coles or Woolies)
  • 3 sprigs, lose the stems of fresh chopped parsley (never used dried)
  • three shakes of Coles extra hot Cayenne
  • Hold the flakes, just add more cayenne
  • 10g black pepper
Honestly though you could hold back on the salt as the soy and Worcester would do just fine.

I am such a terrible cook that this is my favorite crock pot recipe, with thoughts and decisions:
well I have to cook something
haven't used the crock pot in months
wonder what's around here that I can cook in it
oh -- that ____ I saw at the bottom of the basement freezer
let's see -- what else can I throw in
at the 'fridge -- oh, that!
and that
and these
and those
what can I flavor it up with
that'll do
and these'll work
oh -- and water
plug it in
go to work
come home -- I can smell it all the way out here
sure hope it tastes as good as it smells
YAY! SUCCESS AGAIN! I CAN NEVER FIGURE OUT HOW THAT HAPPENS!
that'll be good again tomorrow
good
I won't have to cook tomorrow

I am such a terrible cook that this is my favorite crock pot recipe, with thoughts and decisions:
well I have to cook something
haven't used the crock pot in months
wonder what's around here that I can cook in it
oh -- that ____ I saw at the bottom of the basement freezer
let's see -- what else can I throw in
at the 'fridge -- oh, that!
and that
and these
and those
what can I flavor it up with
that'll do
and these'll work
oh -- and water
plug it in
go to work
come home -- I can smell it all the way out here
sure hope it tastes as good as it smells
YAY! SUCCESS AGAIN! I CAN NEVER FIGURE OUT HOW THAT HAPPENS!
that'll be good again tomorrow
good
I won't have to cook tomorrow

What you have just described is the actual essence of a good cook.

To take what is available and make something delicious IS cooking.

You do not always have to have the finest ingredients. A lowly piece of cow tongue can net you more profit than a grass-fed, aged filet. And when done right will make a Michelin star chef cry tears of joy.

What you have just described is the actual essence of a good cook.

To take what is available and make something delicious IS cooking.

You do not always have to have the finest ingredients. A lowly piece of cow tongue can net you more profit than a grass-fed, aged filet. And when done right will make a Michelin star chef cry tears of joy.
Ah, well, you're sweet. Just read this to my husband. He laughed. He knows me. :D

I have 6 Beef Cheeks preped and sealed under vacuum. They are going into the slow cooker on med (85deg) for 8 hours.
They'll come out as silky smooth muscle meat.....yum.

• 1 to 2kg chuck roast or chuck steak
  • 600mil beef stock
  • 75mil balsamic vinegar
  • 75mil merlot or shiraz (add extra 75mil stock if not using wine)
  • 45mil extra virgin olive oil
  • 40mil soy sauce
  • 25mil Worcester sauce
  • 15mil dijon mustard
  • 3 chopped garlic cloves
  • 5 to 15g salt (to taste)
  • 60g brown sugar or substitute (don't use splenda too expensive at Coles or Woolies)
  • 3 sprigs, lose the stems of fresh chopped parsley (never used dried)
  • three shakes of Coles extra hot Cayenne
  • Hold the flakes, just add more cayenne
  • 10g black pepper
Honestly though you could hold back on the salt as the soy and Worcester would do just fine.
It's true, you don't need the added salt probably. The brown sugar Splenda I should point out still contains sugar. I hadn't been aware of that. I didn't want to shell out for a full bottle of wine for this recipe so I picked up a tiny bottle of cabernet merlot. It was perfect. I did find if anything it was just a LITTLE too sweet so you might want to cut the brown sugar just a little bit.

Ox Cheeks (Side of the mouth) Maybe steer cheeks"...cow cheeks? The meat is a bit sweeter than the more common steaks you get....rump, porterhouse etc.

It's true, you don't need the added salt probably. The brown sugar Splenda I should point out still contains sugar. I hadn't been aware of that. I didn't want to shell out for a full bottle of wine for this recipe so I picked up a tiny bottle of cabernet merlot. It was perfect. I did find if anything it was just a LITTLE too sweet so you might want to cut the brown sugar just a little bit.

Yes the brown splenda adds it for baking to enhance browning which splenda does not do well.

I would say instead get some maltitol to add the splenda if you want browning without sugar. Rice malt syrup would do as well.

I've heard about that, but is a walleye a very large fish? I am trying to imagine there is enough meat to bother cooking....

Up to 20lbs. (9kg for the metric people)

So it can be pretty good sized.

The cheeks of most every animal is prized by chefs. One of those wink-wink-nudge-nudge butcher.fish monger cuts.

Before the cook shows came along Oxtail was cheap and good stock material or braising. Now they are expensive as they are thought of as gourmet.

Marrow bones suffer a similar fate. And I will not talk about how chicken wings have gone insane for prices.

Thankfully tongue, cheek and organ meats have not, save for the goose and duck livers.

Older forms of meat still have not made it back on the radar like mutton and squab (aka young pigeon).

Back