Praise God for our Senior mentors!

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Last Friday my wife and I took 3 days off to travel up northern California to visit an old friend and sister in Christ. She is 87 years old and in incredible health but lives by herself after she lost her husband two years ago on October 20, 2019.

We first met them in January 1996 when Hazel and I started attending their church. We met with them every week for study, mentoring of daily life application and getting involved with ministry in the church and doing fun things together.

We spent the whole weekend talking, listening, looking at photos and catching up. We went out to dinner, lunch, watched Dr. David Jeremiah of Turning Point Ministries and attended church with her on Sunday.

After lunch before we headed back to the Bay Area, we gathered to pray in the living room and she broke down crying which broke our hearts.

The Bible taught Hazel and me to love and exhort our elders in spirit and in truth. What really stands out is remembering who they are and what they have done while encouraging our marriage for Christ.

Please read and meditate on this powerful passage.

1 Timothy 5:1-8, Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity. 3 Honor widows who are truly widows. 4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God. 5 She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day, 6 but she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives. 7 Command these things as well, so that they may be without reproach. 8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Today Carmen receives calls from her sons, family and long time friends weekly which pleases Hazel and me.

Carmen and John were married for 66 years. During the last 24 years before John passed away, Carmen was with her husband 24/7 and enjoyed every moment in their senior years. I've asked God to bless my wife and I as we enter our senior years at 64 and 63 years of age.

God bless you all and your families.

Back