Prayer

Hello, I'd like to ask this forum if they could please answer my question. As Christians, do we need to always be in a closet and on our knees to pray to God? I ask this because sometimes I like to just talk to God when I'm alone, even about trivial things.

For example, say I'm about to go through some rigorous exercise in my P.E. class, is it proper and okay to, in a silent voice, say "Please help me get through this." ? Or if some people are quarreling down the hall is it okay to say "Please help them solve their problems." ?

Does God LISTEN to this type of prayer, or not?

Thanks.

John 15:7 NASB

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
Pray without ceasing

If you pray in public don't do it to be heard and to make you feel good.

John 15:7 NASB

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
Pray without ceasing

If you pray in public don't do it to be heard and to make you feel good.
I understand what Christ said about praying for show, which I definitely don't do. My question is does God listen to this type of informal prayer? Can I trust that the little favors I ask under my breath are heard?

I say no it's not required to be in a closet and kneel to pray. I sit in my room and talk out loud to God. So, I say again no. You don't need to pray in a certain way. Whichever way you pray is okay. And it's okay to pray for trivial things. No prayer is trivial to Him. He listens to all of our prayers.

I personally believe God will listen to anything that comes from the heart and just a lip service :) Other things don't matter much.. Attitude matters more than the method.. my 2 cents :)

Hello, I'd like to ask this forum if they could please answer my question. As Christians, do we need to always be in a closet and on our knees to pray to God? I ask this because sometimes I like to just talk to God when I'm alone, even about trivial things.

For example, say I'm about to go through some rigorous exercise in my P.E. class, is it proper and okay to, in a silent voice, say "Please help me get through this." ? Or if some people are quarreling down the hall is it okay to say "Please help them solve their problems." ?

Does God LISTEN to this type of prayer, or not?

Thanks.
God should be part of every part of our existence. We are to trust God with everything in our lives, every moment. God wants you to always have faith. We are to "pray without ceasing" (1Thessalonians 5:17). Prayers should come from sincerity and faith. Praying for what seems like little things to you, may actually be important. What if the two quarreling stop as a result of God doing something because of your prayer. What if a friendship formed that later produced great things, like the two spreading the gospel together? They may seem like little prayers now, but they may actually be great prayers.

Who but God is there to help you get through something, even if only a P.E. class. God cares about you all of the time, even in P.E. class. However, trust when you pray that God has already helped you and you will find that you are helped.

We are all in an intimate relationship with Him. Always having to shut up yourself in a closet to pray formally isn't very intimate is it? Think of it this way: you can't just talk to your father or spouse. Instead you have to put on your good clothes and go sit in the parlor before one word is said. And that applies to ALL communication. Kind of silly, right?

We know from the New Testament that Jesus was in constant prayer to the Father. How often do we read of Him going off into the wilderness to pray? Or just getting off by Himself to do so? The point was that He prayed - all the time. His surroundings didn't matter. His heart to the Father's is what did. The time He spent in communion with the Father - that is what mattered!

And come to think about it....Peter had a time of need suddenly that he prayed in. And you know what he said? “Lord, save me!”. This was when he asked Christ to let him walk on the water. He started to, but he doubted and started to sink. He didn't have time for a nicely formulated prayer or the seeking of sanctuary in the closet. Yet we know that Christ heard him! Matthew 14:22-33. Later Peter - inspired by the Spirit - wrote this: "cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7.

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16. Come boldly before the throne in your time of need! You don't have to go to the closet or be formal about it. If God would only listen to formal prayers then His Word would have said so. Instead all it says is "come in your time of need!" So come -weather at school or anywhere - and know that He hears you! :)

I will repeat a story told by a great man of God. He said he had set himself a strict pattern of prayer, literally in his closet for a certain amount of time, every day for a long period. He said he got to the point where he began to dread the time he had set as his prayer time. It got so bad one day he just called out to the Lord, and said (basically) "I just dread this time of prayer" He said the Lord spoke very clearly to him: "YOU DONT DREAD IT NEAR AS MUCH AS I DO" from that point on he changed his prayer life and style to a living and flowing conversation with the Lord.

I will repeat a story told by a great man of God. He said he had set himself a strict pattern of prayer, literally in his closet for a certain amount of time, every day for a long period. He said he got to the point where he began to dread the time he had set as his prayer time. It got so bad one day he just called out to the Lord, and said (basically) "I just dread this time of prayer" He said the Lord spoke very clearly to him: "YOU DONT DREAD IT NEAR AS MUCH AS I DO" from that point on he changed his prayer life and style to a living and flowing conversation with the Lord.

LoL. Can't help myself! I just wonder how often the Lord wants us to realize that life in Him is......life with Him. We can do every part of our lives with Him to - living in Him minute by minute and day by day! We don't need to make blocks of "God time" out of the day that become routines we dread (and He dreads even more!). We can pray, read the Word and just Love Him throughout the day...and our lives. :)

I personally believe God will listen to anything that comes from the heart and just a lip service :) Other things don't matter much.. Attitude matters more than the method.. my 2 cents :)
I really meant to say NOT just a lip service.. But I guess people would have already got my point :)

Back