Praying in Tongues

Lets also not forget that whenever someone speaks in tongues, it is also required that there will be someone to interperate what they are saying. It is not supposed to be a big secret. That requirement is in the Bible, I just can't remember exactly where right now. I envy you folks that can pull verses out of the air at will.

Steve

Steveh53

you are correct. 1 Corinthians 14:27-28, but the entire chapter needs to be read before and after verses 27-28 to fully understand what is being said.

I had to look hard for the verse myself before I found it, I knew it was 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14 but did not know exactly where. don't feel too bad.

Lets not beat around the bush any longer; There are False teachers in the Church.
2 Peter 2:1 1But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

Believe the word of God or believe the experience of man?

Be Warned and Be Sure of your claim!

1 corinthians 14:23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

1 corinthians 14:6 Now, brothers,[a] if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 7If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? 8And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? 9So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. 10There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, 11but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. 12So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

37If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 38If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But all things should be done decently and in order.

Have you never prayed for someone in the Name of Jesus and seen them healed? Perhaps you would be better off not being so hard on your brothers and sisters just because they are moving in biblically promised gifts- there is much diveresty in the body- all are not the hand, all are not the eye- etc- each one of these beautifully works towards the edifacation of the whole-selah

You know i have seen the healing power of the gift of God you responded to my testimony 2 weeks ago.
I do not want to be hard on my brothers I want them to make it easier for those searching who come into church for the first time

I choose to remove myself from this conversation- everyone have a blessed day- Larry

I don't understand why as brothers and sisters in Christ we can't point the finger to our wayward brothers and say "pull your act together".

What is accomplished by pointing fingers and insulting:confused:

Not one thing:sad01_anim:

You think there isn't some "Christian" possibly Penecostal in some other forum saying the same thing about you and your church:rolleyes:

You want to see ???????

Christian Apologetics Research Ministry, CARM.com

You want to argue and look foolish ,that is the place to do it. ;)

Sincerely
His
Cliff

hey all

ok, before you get me lined up in your sights, this has happed to me, it was in my sleep. I don't know for how long, my wife and son came running thinking something was wrong, they told me when hearing this they let me finnish and woke me up about 7:30 am. If remembering right I did not want the feeling to go away and at the same time feeling like I ran a 1000 mile marathon. this has only happened once

Lee

Sorry brother I don't know what you mean?
Were you praying in tongues in your sleep and your wife and son came running to see what was wrong?
I'm not sure if thats what you mean if it is I have no idea. I don't think anyone will get you lined up in their sights for anything bro. Weird stuff happens all the time, wether God or the devil has anything to do with it the way we interpret it or not is a different matter.
I don't know what every body else thinks but when something "bad" happens to christians we often think "Is this God or the devil causing this to happen" and even if something good happens "Is this God or luck/ temptation/ or even the devil". (not all things just some)
Trust Jesus that everything you go through is for God's purpose in your life but until that purpose is revealed interpreting them in human understanding takes some work.:israel:

I think Thirsty1 was saying that he was speaking in tongues in his sleep.
Could someone please explain the scripture referring to an interpreter if someone speaks in tongues?
As I mentioned earlier, doesn't the same scripture imply that you can speak in tongues alone with God?

I agree with Gus4pm. There are many things that are just a natural responce to a condition or situation. Kind of like if you stand in the rain ,you get wet, only we don't relaize what the condition is and therefore are supprized at the happening. That's not to say God isn't involved but that we can expect certian consistancies in His creation.
And again agreeing with "Gus"" there are many things that happen only once or so rarely that we never get an idea what their source is.The best thing to do always is assume that it is in the will of God, and that being in control allows what's best for us, good, bad or indifferant. Sometimes it's only purpose is to get your attention.
I believe the tongues spoken of by Paul in the N T are the result of such a situation.
A conditioned responce that 's purpose is solely for edification, unity, attention of those individuals or groups that pracice it. If it weren't apart of some peoples and or churches practices, that would be a surprize to me because it is spoken of in scripture.
(But let me go too far here) and say that I don't believe that this is the "tongues" that scripture is refering to as a spiritual gift.
I believe the spirital gift "tongues" is the one manifest in Acts 2,& 10 & 19. That it is manifest solely as the Holy Spirit gives utterance for the sole purpose of magnifying God. To let His purpose and presence be known. And should not be confused or combined with the "tongues Paul speeks of.

In any case it is not to be used as a sign of receiving the Holy spirit, being saved or to exalt or ellivate one person above another as many do.
Certianly it must not be used as a requirement or standard for service and or acceptance into the church or designation of leadership positions as some have choosen to do.
I have attended several churches were "tongues" is practiced and it can be a blessing to some people. But it when abused, miss used and miss represented it can cause way more damage to the faith of many individuals.
And that is what we are seeing today is the abuse of it, along with other spiritual gifts and indeed the Gospel itself in these last days.
And that should not come as a surprize to those who know God and study His word because we are told in scripture that it will happen.

Sincerely
His
Cliff

Could someone please explain the scripture referring to an interpreter if someone speaks in tongues?

As I mentioned earlier, doesn't the same scripture imply that you can speak in tongues alone with God?

Certianly Thirsty had an experience. Can't realy say if it was or was not tongues. In my case such happenings were a result of going to bed with a stomach full of spicy hot chicken wings or a particularly stressful day.
Not that God doesn't communicate to us in our sleep or that He can't manifest Himself to us any way He wants but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Violet,
Certianly scripture indicates that one can communicate to God in any manner for the Holy Spirit interceeds for us in prayer. Prayer is from the heart not the lips. There is no wrong way to pray except without sincerity and no right way to pray except with sincerity. Tongues in prayer is not an issue. If doing so in tongues works for you then surely it works for God and thats what matters after all ,isn't it???

SincerelyHis
And yours
Cliff

Ok so I am back- I am glad you love Jesus Gus4PM- I also love Jesus and in His Name I love you- I have said before I judge things by their fruit - when I pray in tongues I am filled with God's power and I am drawn closer to Him- I am most assured the devil would not do that- anyway my walk is my walk and your walk is your walk and one day we will meet in glory:D

sorry all

a little tired when I posted, well anyway my wife and son said I was speaking in tounges in my sleep. they told me they only caught the last fifteen minutes of it, it's never happened again. I have seen and heard it from Louisiana to Iowa, I figure if it's for me then it will come but I would love to know more about it.

God Bless

Lee

Greetings everyone.
In my church i am part of the worship team, but i am the only one who cannot speak / pray in tongues.
Everyone prayed for me the other evening to fill me with the spirit and be able to come out of my comfort zone and pray in tongues.
I want to pray in tongues so much but i can't.
I've tried to say what i've heard but i can't even do that.
I don't know what i should do, i have prayed for it but still im stuck.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thank you and God bless.

The bible says in Mark

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

The dictionaries meaning of Shall

shall
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ʃæl; unstressed ʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[shal; unstressed shuh
thinsp.png
l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person shall, 2nd shall or (Archaic
thinsp.png
) shalt, 3rd shall, present plural shall; past singular 1st person should, 2nd should or (Archaic
thinsp.png
) shouldst or should·est, 3rd should, past plural should; imperative, infinitive, and participles lacking. 1.plan to, intend to, or expect to: I shall go later. 2.will have to, is determined to, or definitely will: You shall do it. He shall do it. 3.(in laws, directives, etc.) must; is or are obliged to: The meetings of the council shall be public. 4.(used interrogatively in questions, often in invitations): Shall we go?

To me this is saying that all of us who say that we are born again believers washed in the blood of the lamb. At one time or another we SHALL speak! I dont agree with your church forcing it on you. It will happen in God's time. I understand what everyone is saying about how everyone won't speak but Mark 16:17 says these signs shall follow us....

There are 2 types of tongues from my understanding.

1. Is you speaking in an unknown tongue through the Holy Ghost to God.

2. Is you speaking through the Holy Ghost edifying the church only with an interpruter or if God also has blessed you to be able to interpret what the Holy Ghost has given you to say.

Someone please tell me if I am wrong but that is what I understand. To me both are great...I dont understand why people get there panties in a twist when they hear someone speaking in tongues. To me it is beautiful and I want to speak.. I think it is awesome to be able to speak to God and no one knows what your saying but him! How awesome!:israel:

The bible says in Mark

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

The dictionaries meaning of Shall

shall
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ʃæl; unstressed ʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[shal; unstressed shuh
thinsp.png
l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person shall, 2nd shall or (Archaic
thinsp.png
) shalt, 3rd shall, present plural shall; past singular 1st person should, 2nd should or (Archaic
thinsp.png
) shouldst or should·est, 3rd should, past plural should; imperative, infinitive, and participles lacking. 1.plan to, intend to, or expect to: I shall go later. 2.will have to, is determined to, or definitely will: You shall do it. He shall do it. 3.(in laws, directives, etc.) must; is or are obliged to: The meetings of the council shall be public. 4.(used interrogatively in questions, often in invitations): Shall we go?

To me this is saying that all of us who say that we are born again believers washed in the blood of the lamb. At one time or another we SHALL speak! I dont agree with your church forcing it on you. It will happen in God's time. I understand what everyone is saying about how everyone won't speak but Mark 16:17 says these signs shall follow us....

If this is the case for why all believers should speak in tongues then why don't they all do what the rest of Mark 16 says

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

If what you say is correct all born again believers washed in the blood of Jesus shall cast out devils, speak in tongues, pick up snakes, not be poisoned ever, and heal every person they lay hands on.

The fact is not all these things are for everyone but all these things were for the establishement of the church through miracles and I don't doubt still may be. Never as a pre-requiset for being called Christians

If this is the case for why all believers should speak in tongues then why don't they all do what the rest of Mark 16 says

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

If what you say is correct all born again believers washed in the blood of Jesus shall cast out devils, speak in tongues, pick up snakes, not be poisoned ever, and heal every person they lay hands on.

The fact is not all these things are for everyone but all these things were for the establishement of the church through miracles and I don't doubt still may be. Never as a pre-requiset for being called Christians

Well then your saying the bible is wrong...because what I said is exactly in the bible. Point blank it dosent matter what I think or what you think. It does however matter what the bible says... and yes all those other things can also happen I only focused on the tongues part because that is what this topic is about.

Dear Father who is in Heaven
Holy is your name
Let your kingdom come
Let your will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our tresspasses
as we forgive those who tresspass against us
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one
Amen

Back