Preparing Our Annual Family Feast

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

Our family is preparing our feast for next week's Thanksgiving Holiday. I wanted to share our family menu with everyone.

I'm cooking the turkey. Now, I'm not a cook but I have fun going to the supermarket and selecting a 13 pound turkey. The brand is Jennie-O and is so easy to prepare. The instructions on the back of the package include pictures. lol!

My wife loves to include crabs, shrimp and a honey baked ham. We are also going to add cranberry sauce, corn on the bob, biscuits, potato salad and rice.

For dessert we're having Haagen Dazs ice cream and fruit pies like cherry and apple.

Would anyone like to share their family menu for this Thanksgiving, or any occasion?

I can't even boil water. In years past, we had family and friends over and the "girls" spent all day in the kitchen making all kinds of stuff. This year, since all the kids live in other states and because of the you-know-what virus, looks like it's the wife and I. om what I have heard, it's limited to a turkey, mash potatoes, and I think a pumpkin pie. It ill be the one day this month we do carbs.... lots of carbs.

rtm

Seems as if it's alright for violent protesters, looters and building burners to have large gatherings, but it ain't OK for families to gather to praise God and give thanks. Just another politically motivated attack on godliness from the ungodly in my humble, back woods of Kentucky opinion. Y'all have a good, safe, joyous Thanksgiving and show love for each other and for God in your gatherings - use common sense and remember - your home is your castle. Defend it from those who would try to take it from you or interrupt your celebration with violence.

Our Turkey huntin' season ended on October 30 here in Kentucky. Me and my dog was hunting for a couple days and one day before the season ended, we spotted a big ole' gobbler struttin' around in a clearing. I was just gettin' ready to take a shot when my dog let out a real loud bark. That ole' turkey must have been scared, 'cause he turned to run and ran right into a Maple tree trunk and killed his self. That was the easiest huntin' I ever done - and didn't have to use my trusty shotgun at all. My wife was real happy when I came home with that bird. Dressed out it's 18 pounds and when we have our family meal next Thursday, we'll be thankful for that turkey and for that Maple tree. When the family shows up for our special day, we'll have turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and punkin' pie. And if any of them rioters show up in our county, maybe my dog can bark at them too. ;)

Y'all have a good, safe, joyous Thanksgiving and show love for each other and for God in your gatherings - use common sense and remember - your home is your castle. Our Turkey huntin' season ended on October 30 here in Kentucky. Me and my dog was hunting for a couple days and one day before the season ended, we spotted a big ole' gobbler struttin' around in a clearing. I was just gettin' ready to take a shot when my dog let out a real loud bark. That ole' turkey must have been scared, 'cause he turned to run and ran right into a Maple tree trunk and killed his self. That was the easiest huntin' I ever done - and didn't have to use my trusty shotgun at all. My wife was real happy when I came home with that bird. Dressed out it's 18 pounds and when we have our family meal next Thursday, we'll be thankful for that turkey and for that Maple tree. When the family shows up for our special day, we'll have turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and punkin' pie. And if any of them rioters show up in our county, maybe my dog can bark at them too. ;)

Hello PaducahLuke;

The turkey you took home actually ran into a tree and died? lol! That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing your delicious menu.

I'd like to stop by for coffee! ☕

Just wondering what the Native Americans do for thanksgiving is it the same tradition, or they just supply the turkeys.

I mean, if your ancestry is Native/First nations as I suppose everyone born in the USA is now a native.

It's upcoming Christmas season here, so most Christmas menus have ham in them.
I don't know why. Just seems everyone eats a huge ham for Christmas. Even if you don't like it. It's bright pink.

Other foods usually found on menu - new potatoes, strawberries and icecream, pavlova.

English people seems to have fruit cake, christmas pudding (with figs?)

And everyone gives out Cadbury Favourites mini chocolate bars. They come in this weird trapezoid shaped box. It is silly to wrap it as everyone knows already what it is.
There's also striped candy canes to hang on Christmas trees.

Chocolate oranges also only come out for Christmas. Its chocolate shaped like an orange cut into segments and wrapped in foil, and also tastes a bit orangey.

Nobody here eats turkey. The first time I had one, an American friend roasted one. It was huge. She also roasted pumpkin but didn't put it in a pie. I don't remember any sauce.

Peking Duck is a what chinese people have for special occasions, but it's only at restaurants you can have it, as it takes a special kind of roasting to do. It's kind of like the US version of KFC. You have peking duck with thin pancakes with spring onions and plum sauce. The skin needs to be crispy.

we have Terry’s chocolate orange too!!!
They’re gorgeous.
We also have a traditional turkey and all the trimmings.pigs in blankets( sausage wrapped in bacon) we don’t have pumpkin pies( pumpkins never make an appearance at Christmas over here, we have sprouts.
A glass of Sherry is custom as a toast and then we open all our presents
Xxx

I've just been persuaded to part with cash in return for two buckets of christmas cookies.
They came round to our school giving samples.
I plan to give them out to children with a special morning tea/movie session.

One is salted caramel and the other is chocolate chip.

I know you could make your own, but I'm just going to do popcorn on the day. I'm not very good at baking or rather, cleaning up after making a mess of the kitchen!

I'm such a disappointment to my mother, I don't cook or clean or do anything that a daughter does but then my other siblings don't either.
I just don't see the appeal when there's always a list of complaints whenever I make the effort. Now if I had trained in a career in hospitality I would do all these things, but I'm not in that field.

Just wondering what the Native Americans do for thanksgiving is it the same tradition, or they just supply the turkeys.

I mean, if your ancestry is Native/First nations as I suppose everyone born in the USA is now a native.

I was thinking about this and really don't know what they do for Thanksgiving. I'm sure American natives have some kind of history with the Pilgrim settlers within their tribes.

I'm only guessing but they might have turkey, chicken, fish, corn, vegetables and perhaps a pie or sweet cake of some sort.

Aside from Native American Indians, most of our families are immigrants according to our American History going back 400 years. From Europe, UK, New Zealand, Australia, Asia, Canada, Mexico, Russia, Middle East and so on...Then their children born in our country would be considered native born American.

Yea I consider myself native New Zealander, my dad is too though my mum isn't.

Might be something to read up about, though there's not much literature on the topic being published these days or available here. I've read a little about reservations here and there, but don't really know the entire history of thanksgiving myself.

I think its a good family holiday though, do you get days off work?
Here they keep saying that Black Friday is now a thing at the shops. But it never used to be an event before. That's when expensive electronic items go on sale. Not discounts on turkeys and pumpkins though.

Back