Pride

Is it just me or everyone struggle with the sin of pride? I am thankful that Holy Spirit is helping me see my shortcomings.. At the same time, I am feeling bad that am not making any improvements in that area.. Some areas which I need Holy Spirit to help me

Pride at work - Pride that God has given me more knowledge than others. Pride that I am able to accomplish so much. Pride that I am able to others when they are not able to manage things on their own
Pride when someone appreciates - this happens everywhere
Pride of being humble - When someone says I am so down the earth, pride steps in.
Pride of knowing scriptures - When my wife says I just answered her question, inside I get a feeling that I know a little more than her

On many of the above, people are just trying to be nice with me. But pride just steps in everytime. Am I beating myself too much or this is reality? How can I overcome? I know, I cannot overcome this problem on my own. How do I even approach seeking help from Holy Spirit? Has anyone successfully been able to make positive progress in overcoming pride?

I think pride is a very big issue that's hard to overcome. Like you said, even compliments can cause you to feel pride. I'm not sure where the line is. I think it's okay to be proud that you accomplished something or that you've gained knowledge in a particular area.

I'm not sure what the answer is or if what you are saying is even sinful. Take some of the Psalms, for instance. David talks a lot about his accomplishments but always says through God he achieved it. Maybe that is a way to counter it?

Is it just me or everyone struggle with the sin of pride? I am thankful that Holy Spirit is helping me see my shortcomings.. At the same time, I am feeling bad that am not making any improvements in that area.. Some areas which I need Holy Spirit to help me

Pride at work - Pride that God has given me more knowledge than others. Pride that I am able to accomplish so much. Pride that I am able to others when they are not able to manage things on their own
Pride of being humble - When someone says I am so down the earth, pride steps in.
Pride of knowing scriptures - When my wife says I just answered her question, inside I get a feeling that I know a little more than her

On many of the above, people are just trying to be nice with me. But pride just steps in everytime. Am I beating myself too much or this is reality? How can I overcome? I know, I cannot overcome this problem on my own. How do I even approach seeking help from Holy Spirit? Has anyone successfully been able to make positive progress in overcoming pride?

From a different perspective I believe "authority" can be wrongly decerned as "pride" The thing that surprised the religious leaders of Jesus day was the fact Jesus taught as one having "authority". Authority most of the time can and is seen as pride. You can see this here on this forum when you give someone a scripture that proves something incorrect, and they see it as you being prideful, and arrogant, even when it was done in love. When the Lord gives revelation concerning His Word it always brings authority with it. When that same person speaks from the heart that revelation authority also is brought forth. The Apostle Paul had many many revelations by the Spirit of God concerning the Kingdom of God which in turn brought authority to speak and cause things to happen. The Devil did not want this to happen because it spreads like fire to others, so there was given to Paul a evil spirit to try and stop him from using that authority. If the Devil can get you to believe you are just being prideful in what you know then you will not use what the Lord has given you.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2Co 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

We know Paul was never prideful because the Lord does not give grace to the prideful but only the humble.
God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. 1 Peter 5:5

Greetings:

Knowledge is poring out of all the media and is puffing up people's heads so that pride is an inevitable result.
Even now little kids can go around and correct their much more mature folks.God doesn't have to blow up the planet,
modern man's heads are going to explode anyway.

bye

Greetings:

Knowledge is poring out of all the media and is puffing up people's heads so that pride is an inevitable result.
Even now little kids can go around and correct their much more mature folks.God doesn't have to blow up the planet,
modern man's heads are going to explode anyway.

bye
Very true

You are beating yourself up too much. We all battle with it. Our flesh craves power and praise. Just use your awesome brain to remember this verse: Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone''.

We all have our differing vices but the cure is the same: Focus on Jesus

Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Rav, you and I both. Pride is a real struggle of mine. I love to evangelize and defend and try to live fully of the faith...ultimately, I want to be a saint. But pride can overtake me sometimes.

Playing devil's advocate here:

The sin of pride as it is called is one of those weights we're suppose to assume so as to keep us in a self-deprecating posture that causes one to always be at war with ones self.
What did Jesus say about pride? When he told the disciples to go forth and spread the good news, and Pentecost came upon them so that they might be possessed of all the tongues they would require in order to speak Jesus' teachings to the world, and convert every living soul to the path of righteousness.

What is that but pride acting out in itself believing there is but one way back to God?

Back