Promises I Made

Hello,
I made a few promises before to God, one of them was "I wouldn't turn on the kitchen faucet (My Mom said she "broke that promise for me") but I just seem to keep making promises, even if I don't want to. Sometimes they are just thoughts popping up in my mind, other times they are just promises made because I'm feeling pressured to make the promise, other times it is just me making the promise, other times it is just me not thinking about the promise, just making it without thinking about it at all.

Please help, what should I do?

Hi, Jordan!

Perhaps you can start by praying and asking God to pinpoint the cause of this obsessive compulsive behaviour, wait on His answer, and then ask Him to remove whatever it is, whether it is a memory or something else. Then speak to your pastor, or a wise Christian you know and ask for prayer and a bit of counsel. Then make an appointment with your doctor to follow up on it.

There is healing and great hope in Jesus!

Hello,
I made a few promises before to God, one of them was "I wouldn't turn on the kitchen faucet (My Mom said she "broke that promise for me") but I just seem to keep making promises, even if I don't want to. Sometimes they are just thoughts popping up in my mind, other times they are just promises made because I'm feeling pressured to make the promise, other times it is just me making the promise, other times it is just me not thinking about the promise, just making it without thinking about it at all.

Please help, what should I do?

It is easy to make a promise(s), but we can not guarantee we will keep them, even though we want to. I learned a long time ago to never say "never", or make any promises that I could not guarantee I would keep, especially to God. Usually when someone promises I will never do something, that is when we do them.

James 5:12 But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

Back