Prophets

Prophets

I came upon this subject and need others input. The subject is prophets in the modern day. Are there prophets of God today?
I found these verses on how to try the spirit…
1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world…
I know there are more guide lines (just don’t know where) if anyone wants to post them that would be very helpful.

And I know spirit of Prophecy to be
Rev 19:10 … for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

But as someone has opened my eyes to a no-assumption policy I found these verses...

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mar 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.
These verses warn us of false prophets that are to arise… but we (and I use that term loosely) assume that because there are going to be false prophets that there must be true prophets. And then I found these verses…

Mat 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
Luk 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Do they speak for themselves or am I trying to pry for something that is not there. Yall’s opinion and scriptural evidence would be greatly appreciated in helping me with this matter.
PS: the red bible verses are spoken by Jesus.

There were false prophets since the begging thus the Old Testament test for a prophet.
The Word of God tells us we will have prophets until the Church walks in the full stature of maturity in Christ and they were one of the five offices Christ gave to govern and edify the body:

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:

The office of Prophet is just as much a part of the New Testament Church as a Pastor or an Evangelist.

Hello,
The Prophecy Concerning Messiah could only come upto John the Baptist. The Prophecy relevant to the House of Israel is what kept progressing down with the Prophets as named through the Chronicles of Judah and Israel. To which the Church is treated by with alot of Knowledge, even to the Endtime. Thank God! The House of Israel has no prophet today, and will not have any, except John The Baptist. HE IS TO COME!
The 613 laws passed concerning lifelihood are the ritualistic demands for sanctity necessary lest Isreal succumb to the ways of the foreign nations.
The Law and the Prophets refer to these.

The others we have today are true prophets.(Not The Prophets)But they are given through Christ to direct and give word of Knowledge, and Word of Wisdom to the Church.
I have a request: You asked whether they speak for themselves? Don't you believe abit, in any, at least? =Charles

Hi, its T Man again

Sorry for my bad spelling, A prophet is nothing more than one that hears God and speaks as instructed by God without adding his/her own info.

However, many are worried about the false prophets. Jesus gave us all we need to know in the Goppels. A false prophet is some one that speaks his/her own understandings and wonders away from that which is the bible. As a Christian we all should be living in His Kingdom right now, based on His wisdom, not the wisdom of men or ideas of groups. Jesus is our leader, He is our teacher, not men or wisdom of men. We as people tend to follow men and man made ideas because we don't know any better, but the scripture are without error. Its man that has made the errors and now many fail because of this error spoken by men. I could not read or write, I never read the bible until i cried out to jesus to save me too, I cried man, because I was told we have to read the bible to be saved, I could not read so by default i was a gonner. So yes i cried out, Jesus saw me, saw my heart and spoke to me, from that day to now i only ever talk to Jesus The Holy Spirit and God on things that are His business. I don't trust men or ideas of men after hearing what Jesus said to me, its not worth losing your palce in his Kingdom. Read the Gospels bit by bit asking Jesus questions every step of the way, in this you will see and come to know that the wise men of this world are coming to nothing. I had a wise man try to trick me one day, he thought I was a false teacher, the mistake was trying to trick me, as Jesus knew his action before he opened his mouth. We where talking about names like Pastors, Bishops and Preist etc, he said but its in the bible that we are eders and called this, As I said we should not have titles. I was going to ask Jesus what i should say, the words just dropped from my mouth, i said as I heard, Who is greater, the Disciple who wrote this or Jesus who commanded us, not to be called Teacher, Father Rabbi, that we are all brothers and Sisters all equil. You know He just walked away without saying a word. Jesus is greater than anyone, and his commands are ours to follow and not change to suit our understanding. Mans understanding are shallow and have no deapth, width or Hight, the human mind can't in 20 life times take in the knowledge fo God. As for a false prophet, read the gospels over and over, slowly and medite over it talk to jesus about what you read and ask, please ask Him to teach you what to look for, it will come to you.

T Man

Hi again T! The Gospels were written primarily to lost people and the Epistles to the Church. Apostle, Pastor, etc. are not so much titles to be worn but offices given by the Holy Spirit to bring the Church to a place of maturity. Jesus Himself said His sheep would know His voice and He (in His sovereignty gave us His Holy Word as a plumb line by which to measure all truth. What I am saying is the Church need not fear for the Master has provided for and will continue to guide us by His Holy Spirit.:)

Hi, its T Man again

Sorry for my bad spelling, A prophet is nothing more than one that hears God and speaks as instructed by God without adding his/her own info.

However, many are worried about the false prophets. Jesus gave us all we need to know in the Goppels. A false prophet is some one that speaks his/her own understandings and wonders away from that which is the bible. As a Christian we all should be living in His Kingdom right now, based on His wisdom, not the wisdom of men or ideas of groups. Jesus is our leader, He is our teacher, not men or wisdom of men. We as people tend to follow men and man made ideas because we don't know any better, but the scripture are without error. Its man that has made the errors and now many fail because of this error spoken by men. I could not read or write, I never read the bible until i cried out to jesus to save me too, I cried man, because I was told we have to read the bible to be saved, I could not read so by default i was a gonner. So yes i cried out, Jesus saw me, saw my heart and spoke to me, from that day to now i only ever talk to Jesus The Holy Spirit and God on things that are His business. I don't trust men or ideas of men after hearing what Jesus said to me, its not worth losing your palce in his Kingdom. Read the Gospels bit by bit asking Jesus questions every step of the way, in this you will see and come to know that the wise men of this world are coming to nothing. I had a wise man try to trick me one day, he thought I was a false teacher, the mistake was trying to trick me, as Jesus knew his action before he opened his mouth. We where talking about names like Pastors, Bishops and Preist etc, he said but its in the bible that we are eders and called this, As I said we should not have titles. I was going to ask Jesus what i should say, the words just dropped from my mouth, i said as I heard, Who is greater, the Disciple who wrote this or Jesus who commanded us, not to be called Teacher, Father Rabbi, that we are all brothers and Sisters all equil. You know He just walked away without saying a word. Jesus is greater than anyone, and his commands are ours to follow and not change to suit our understanding. Mans understanding are shallow and have no deapth, width or Hight, the human mind can't in 20 life times take in the knowledge fo God. As for a false prophet, read the gospels over and over, slowly and medite over it talk to jesus about what you read and ask, please ask Him to teach you what to look for, it will come to you.

T Man

Amen.

Hi again T! The Gospels were written primarily to lost people and the Epistles to the Church. Apostle, Pastor, etc. are not so much titles to be worn but offices given by the Holy Spirit to bring the Church to a place of maturity. Jesus Himself said His sheep would know His voice and He (in His sovereignty gave us His Holy Word as a plumb line by which to measure all truth. What I am saying is the Church need not fear for the Master has provided for and will continue to guide us by His Holy Spirit.:)

Amen.

As Boanerges stated, we have had false prophets since the beginning of...the beginning! :D

1 John 4:3-6

From these verses, anyone who knows the Spirit of God will be able to tell the right from the wrong. It is like someone who looks at diamonds to check for flaws. They know real diamonds from fake ones.

For example...:
6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

The gifts of speaking in tongues and the gift of prophecy was only existen back in bc/ac.

Mellow.... I do not quite understand what you are presenting here... and will not ellaborate but only to say that whatever the Bible says is the true Word of God. These gifts are for us today. How do I know ? Because they are manifested in the church of today. And also I am a living witness.

Indeed Mom. Some do not move in the gifts, they are no less a part of the body and to be loved and cherished. That however doe not negate the Word of God or the gifts God has given the Church.

Indeed Mom. Some do not move in the gifts, they are no less a part of the body and to be loved and cherished. That however doe not negate the Word of God or the gifts God has given the Church.

I hear you my Son and I am not putting any one down. You know where I'm coming from. We are all the Body of Christ .... His Church and each one functions differently but all in unison.

My apologies if I came on too strong.:(:(

I do not believe every one can tell the difference between true prophets of God and false prophets... Jesus himself said the elect would be decieved...
but Jesus does warn us bec they are there...
do you guys think that a prphet who foretells the future and gets it totally wrong, if they are hearing a voice, is it possible that maybe they think its a good voice but in actual fact its a voice from the dark side disguising itself as a good one?
Bec in just using common sense here but if a good voice tells a prophet that something is going to happen and a date is given(prophets do sometimes use dates) that the good voice is right... And the bad voice will make up a story?

My friend Oogii that is not quite what He said- these were His Words:

Mar 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

He never says His chosen will be deceived.

Dusty, and anyone who it may concern.

I am speaking of a topic I read about gifts of the holy spirit. This was not meant to be my point of view. If anyone was offended here is part of the topic if needed to know what I learned:

Spiritual gift

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Gifts of the Holy Spirit" redirects here. For the seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit in the Catholic tradition, see Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
According to some Christians (i.e.Pentecostals) the spiritual gifts (or charismata) are gifts that are bestowed on Christians, each having his or her own proper gift (or gifts) to strengthen the church. They are described in the New Testament, primarily in First Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4.
Some believe their operation was limited to early Christianity. According to some Protestant denominations, certain of the spiritual gifts, for example speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues, were enjoyed only for a short time and were suited to the Church's infancy, not to later times. This view is known as cessationism. This opinion is held by John F. MacArthur, Jr., Robert L. Thomas and many other conservative main line Christian denominations. In contrast, some Christian scholars such as Zola Levitt maintain that the number of gifts cannot be determined, because, as Levitt puts it, "A spiritual gift is anything that a person can do supernaturally well."
Other groups, including Pentecostal, Apostolic, and other Holiness denominations of Christianity, take an opposing view, believing that the spiritual gifts are still given by the Holy Spirit today, and Pentecostal meetings often involve ordinary parishioners displaying the use of these gifts (1 Cor 14). In addition, sections of Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and many other Protestant denominations also continue to believe in and make use of spiritual gifts.
Emphasis on teaching about the nine gifts of the Spirit originated from Howard Carter, an early Pentecostal evangelist. This is based on the text from 1 Corinthians 12:27-30 giving the gifts and listing them as the "gifts of the Spirit". They were later taught and popularized by Lester Sumrall, who accompanied Carter on many missionary journeys in his youth. Modern Bible teachers and scholars have come to the conclusion that there are other gifts of the Spirit listed in Scripture, as seen in the chart below.

Actually the emphasis on the gifts started in the Book of Acts:D- we need the nine Gifts of the Spirit and the nine fruits of the Spirit today more than ever.
:)

Back