Psalm a day

Psalm a day

Hi all I thought I would started this thread and that we could have one Psalm everyday. Except when we come to Psalm 119 which is so longest, then we may have to do this Psalm for 3 days.
I hope you will all join me as we mediate on these Psalms together

Psalm 1​

1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

I just taught the ladies in my Sunday School Class Psalms 73,and I guess I will share~

Psalm is about Asaph, who was a levite, and a leader of David's choir.

WHEN I HAVE DOUBTS

73:1-3
Truly God is good to Israel!
to such as are pure in heart.

But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped.

For I was envious of the boastful,
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked,

Asaph began this by affirming that though God is good to those in Israel, who trust Him and are pure in heart, he himself nearly slipped in his confidence in the Lord.

He almost slipped because he was envious of the prosperity of the wicked.

This problem was so over whelming; he almost lost faith in God's goodness.

Why should the people who oppose God be better off than those who trust Him?

73:4-12
For there are no pangs in their death,
But their strength is firm.

They are not in trouble as other men,
Nor are they plagued like other men.

Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
violence covers them like a garment.

Their eyes bulge with abundance;
they have more than heart could wish.

They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression;
They speak loftily.

They set their mouth against the heavens.
And their tongue walks through the earth.

Therefore his people return here,
and waters of a full cup are drained by them.

And they say, 'How does God know?'
and is there knowledge in the Most High?'

Behold, these are the ungodly,
Who are always at ease;
They increase in riches,

Asaph explained the prosperity that troubled him.

He observed that the wicked seem not to suffer trouble as other people do.

They cover themselves with pride and violence.

Their evil devices are unbounded.

Their speech is scornful, malicious, and arrogant, as if they owned the earth.

Many people are carried away by their evil(they turn to them) and thinking God does not know of their sin.

With no cares in the world wicked, arrogant people continue to prosper.

73:13-14
Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain,
And washed my hands in innocence.

For all day long I have been plagued,
and chastened every morning.

Asaph said he was confused over the value of his salvation.

He felt that he had cleansed himself in vain because since trusting the Lord he had been plagued and chastened.

Like many saints before and after him, Asaph was puzzled that God seemed to prosper the wicked and punish the righteous.

73:15-20
If I had said, I will speak thus,
Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children.

When I thought how to understand this,
It ws too painful for me--

Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
Then I understood their end.

Surely You set them in slippery places;
You cast them down to destruction.

Oh, now they are brought to desolation, as in a moment!

They are utterly consumed with terrors.

As a dream when one awakes,
So, Lord, when You awake.
You shall despise their image.

Asaph overcame his doubts by considering the destiny of the wicked.

His words are like a confession, for he knew the treachery his words could have been to the congregation.

The entire conflict was painful to him, till the sanctuary he understood what will happen to the wicked.

God will set them in dangerus slippery places where they will stumble and fall, be cast...down in ruin, and suddenly destroyed.

When God finally sets things right the wicked will be like fantasies, counterfeits of reality. This was the negative aspect of the solution to Asaph's problem.

73:21-26
Thus my heart was grieved,
and I was vexed in my mind.

I was so foolish and ignorant,
I was like a beast before You.

Nevertheless I am continually-
with You;
You hold me by, my right hand.

You will guide me with Your counsel.

And afterward receive me to glory.

Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth
that I desire besides You.

My flesh and my heart fall;
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

The positive aspect of the solution was Asaph's conviction of his own glorious destiny.

He confessed that his perspective had been dulled by brutish ignorance.

If he had not been so ignorant, he admitted, his heart would not have been so bitter.

His true position was in stark contrast with the wicked, for he knew God was always with him and will guide him wisely with His counsel and receive him into glory.

God would guide him through his troubles so that he would enjoy honor in this life.

Aseph was probably looking for deliverance in his lifetime.

This would demstrate that he was in God's favor.

Of course, believers today know from the NT that God's punishment of the wicked and blessing of the righteous extend beyond death.

In addition, Asaph affirmed that God was his only possession in heaven or on the earth.

Though Asaph was overwhelmed, God was his strength.

Some wicked peole prosper materially but only the spiritual possessions of the righteous will last.

73:27-28
For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish;
You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.

But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord God.
That I may declare all Your works.

Asaph concluded that those who are far from God and are unfaithful will be destroyed, but that those who are near God find joy and safety.

Though he had nearly slipped in his confidence in God. He now as reassured that God was keeping him secure.

God was is refuge. His shelter from danger.

Nearness to God always help believers maintain a balanced perspective on material things on the wicked.

Ask: What kinds of circumstances today cause people to almost slip and go astray?

What doubts or difficult questions trouble people today?

Why should we be obedient Christians if we will still face suffering?

How can we keep our doubts from driving us away from God and ensure we will draw closer to Him?

Hope you enjoy....

Nice thread.

What is wonderful in all the verses of Psalms is that they were all meant to be sung. It's a pity that the melody was lost.

Singing to God is such an important thing. No wonder, Psalms is the thickest book in the Bible.

Thank you Faith for your wonderful insight and for sharing Psalm 73 with us.
God has given you a wonderful gift. Thank you John you are right they should be sung. May God's Blessing be with you both .....love Jane

Psalm 2

1Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?

2The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

3Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

4He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.

5Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

6Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

9Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

10Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

11Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

12Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Psalm 150

1 PRAISE ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalm 56 is a song of trust ascribed to the time of David's visit to Gath.

David asserted that even though his enemies waited to destroy him, he trusted confidently in the Lord who knew his sufferings. His confidence led him to anticipate praising God for deliverance from danger.

David prayed the Lord would destroy those who conspired to kill him.

Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me (David) up.
Fighting all day he oppresses me.

My enemies would hound me all day,
for there are many who fight against me, O Most High..

Whenever I am afraid,
I will trust in You.

In God (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust;
I will not fear.
What can flesh do to me?

All day they twist my words;
All their thoughts are against me for evil.

They gather together,
they hide, they mark my steps,
When they lie in wait for my life.

Shall they escape by iniquity?
In anger cast down the peoples, O God!

But because his confidence was in God, whose word he praised, he realized that he need not fear mere humans. So again the psalmist laid his problem before the Lord and prayed that God would destroy him, and dogging his steps. He had no rest from their pursuit.

David reiterated his confidence that the Lord knew about his suffering and would protect him.

You number my wanderings;
Put my tears into Your bottle.
Are they not in Your book?

Can you imagine, God recorded his tears?
God did not forget his suffering.

When I cry out to You,
then my enemies will turn back;
This I know because God is for me,

He was confident because God knew him intimately, even recording his tears. The image of his tears being collected in a wineskin means that God did npt forget his suffering. Because of that fact, he could say in full confidence, God is for me.

In God (I will praise His word),
In the Lord (I will praise His word),

In God I have put my trust;
I will not be afraid,
What can man do to me?

Vows made to You are binding
upon me, O God;
I will render praises to You,

For You have delivered my soul from death.

Have You not kept my feet from failling,
That I may walk before God
In the light of the living?

David's confidence led him to anticipate that God would deliver him from danger so that he might live obediently before Him.

As in other psalms, David was so confident God would deliver him that he wrote in the past tense: You have delivered me. So he vowed to praise God for this with thank offerings.

Thank you New2Christ and faith How wonderful is our God .....Love Jane

Psalm 3

1Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.

2Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.

3But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

4I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

5I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.

6I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

7Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.

8Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

Psalm 4​

1Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.

2O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.

3But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

4Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

5Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

6There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.

7Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

8I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5​

1Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.

2Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.

3My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

4For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

6Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

7But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.

8Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

9For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.

10Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

11But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Praise God, all of the Psalms are literally 'God-breathed,' God-Authorized Worship Hymns.

Amen Nothing apart from Christ you are so right, May God's blessings, peace and love be with you ..... love Jane

New2Christ May God's blessings be with you too.....love Jane

Psalm 6​

1O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

2Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

3My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?

4Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.

5For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

6I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

7Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.

8Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.

9The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.

10Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

Psalm 7​

1O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me:

2Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver.

3O LORD my God, If I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands;

4If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me; (yea, I have delivered him that without cause is mine enemy

5Let the enemy persecute my soul, and take it; yea, let him tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honour in the dust. Selah.

6Arise, O LORD, in thine anger, lift up thyself because of the rage of mine enemies: and awake for me to the judgment that thou hast commanded.

7So shall the congregation of the people compass thee about: for their sakes therefore return thou on high.

8The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.

9Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.

10My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart.

11God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

12If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.

13He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors.

14Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood.

15He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made.

16His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate.

17I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.

Psalm 8

1O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

2Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

3When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

6Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

7All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;

8The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

9O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Psalm 9​

1I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.

2I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.

3When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence.

4For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right.

5Thou hast rebuked the heathen, thou hast destroyed the wicked, thou hast put out their name for ever and ever.

6O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them.

7But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment.

8And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.

9The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

10And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

11Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings.

12When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them: he forgetteth not the cry of the humble.

13Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:

14That I may shew forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation.

15The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made: in the net which they hid is their own foot taken.

16The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah.

17The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.

19Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight.

20Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah.

Psalm 10​

1Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?

2The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.

3For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.

4The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

5His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.

6He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.

7His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

8He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.

9He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.

10He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.

11He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.

12Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.

13Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.

14Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

15Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.

16The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.

17LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

18To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.

Psalm 11

1In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?

2For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart.

3If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

4The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.

5The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

6Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.

7For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Psalm 12​

1Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.

2They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

3The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:

4Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?

5For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

6The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

7Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

8The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Psalm 13

1How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?

2How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?

3Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

4Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.

5But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

6I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

Back