Pursue Excellence

As I read and study more and more into proverbs , I am beginning to understand that wisdom is one of the aspects of pursing excellence

Wisdom is a big part of it. To me pursuing excellence is to excel in all areas. Not to be mediocre but to raise the standard

Not me. It flows out my mouth easy but hard to write down and lots of work to type out.

Maybe I need to pursue excellence in this area

James 1:19
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak..........

I know it is lots of work for me to type cause I can't type fast enough to express my thoughts . I guesss I too need to pursue excellence in the area of speaking cuse I always shy away . I usually ask if I can write it down and then read it ... Oh well we all have our areas of improvement and it goes back to our pursuance to excel in the weak areas .

Proverbs 22….

22:7…. The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

This is so true in our day as well but long ago in Israel the money lenders charged high interest on their loans making it hard for the people to pay so they became slaves to their creditors in order to pay off their debt . Imagine if they still did that today .

But we basically have the same things with credit cards - we become a slave to our “ Lender” as we mount up our charges

Verse 11 …. He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend.

Chapter 22 again is focusing on the heart verse 18 ….for it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have all of them ready on your lips.

And again in 23 exploiting the poor for the LORD will take up their case and will plunder those who plunder them. If we think we can get away with cheating , it may be for a season but ultimately it will come back to us .

Questions arising from Proverbs :

!..... According to proverbs how can riches be both a blessing and a curse?

2…. Why is it true that a person who holds his tongue is wise ?

Wisdom is a big part of it. To me pursuing excellence is to excel in all areas. Not to be mediocre but to raise the standard

Right on sister ... We need to raise the bar and by pursuing excellence in the areas of our life that need attention is the goal for all of us . We do not want to just remain in the same place .

The Word of God is alive and is there for us to read but not just to read but to apply to our lives . Not just to read it with our head but to let it sink deeper into our heart and it takes root into our lives.so that we will be that branch on the tree of life that flourishes and produces good fruit.

Amen .... And proverbs is a great place to learn and live by it's principles . THE Word is active and alive and we want to please God .

2 Timothy 2:15

15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

The Word of God is alive and is there for us to read but not just to read but to apply to our lives . Not just to read it with our head but to let it sink deeper into our heart and it takes root into our lives.

Spot on Dusty.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed

James 1

I know it is lots of work for me to type cause I can't type fast enough to express my thoughts . I guesss I too need to pursue excellence in the area of speaking cuse I always shy away . I usually ask if I can write it down and then read it ... Oh well we all have our areas of improvement and it goes back to our pursuance to excel in the weak areas .
I'm sure you have many strengths. I can tell, even the short time I've been here, that you have a kind and loving spirit. That is all too rare in this day and age!

I'm sure you have many strengths. I can tell, even the short time I've been here, that you have a kind and loving spirit. That is all too rare in this day and age!

Why thank you Poster . That is very kind of you to say . Now you have humbled me .:blush::blush::blush:

As we read proverbs – every day there is a fresh incite and I would encourage you to stop READ slowly and not to skip over the verses, but let the Holy Spirit draw you to the ones that are for you .

These are practical lessons for all of us to live by .

I would like to call them “ Pearls of Wisdom “ and as we meditate on them though out the day you and I will be amazed at how our attitudes and behaviours change .

Chapter 23

Verse 1-3 …. When you sit to dine with a ruler,
note well what is before you,
2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.
3 Do not crave his delicacies,
for that food is deceptive.

Dine with a ruler - put your knife to your throat --- What is the meaning of this ? To me it is a warning of not being glutonists . At the table we are being watched and also verse 3 could be a warning that a feast might be used as bribery to influence a guest and that we need to be on our guard.

There are just so many truths and nuggets in this chapter that it is impossible to pick them all out

… 4-5…… Do not wear yourself out to get rich;
have the wisdom to show restraint.
5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings
and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

Once again we are warned about placing our thoughts and deeds on riches cause it is like the saying … “ Here today gone tomorrow”

23:23…. Buy the truth and do not sell it;
get wisdom, discipline and understanding.

We are told so many times about getting wisdom , discipline and understanding.

29-35 ….. Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
30 Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange sights
and your mind imagine confusing things.
34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.
35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
They beat me, but I don't feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"

Wow …. A special warning about drunkenness and wine …. Wine might look good in the glass and taste good going down but in the end it brings destruction to our bodies and even if it leaves all the bad feelings it ultimately causes the person to want more the next morning.

Chapter 24

Vs 3…. By wisdom a house is built,
and through understanding it is established;

Love that !!!!! it takes wisdom of a husband and wife together and understanding to set it on a firm foundation and knowledge to furnish it .

Vs 13-14…. Eat honey, my son, for it is good;
honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
14 Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul;
if you find it, there is a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.

Seek and obtain wisdom and knowledge so that we can have a hope and a future in Christ Jesus.

19-20….. Do not fret because of evil men
or be envious of the wicked,
20 for the evil man has no future hope,
and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out.

Sometimes when we look at others and wonder how come they are prospering and gaining riches by cheating and evil doing it makes us wonder - but God is telling us not to worry because just like a lamp - their life can be turned off.
28-29….

28 Do not testify against your neighbor without cause,
or use your lips to deceive.
29 Do not say, "I'll do to him as he has done to me;
I'll pay that man back for what he did."

This probably where our saying comes from “ Do unto others as you would have them do unto you “ Don’t think of payback time - God will pay back those people who have wronged us .

Chapter 25

Vs 4… Remove the dross from the silver,
and out comes material for the silversmith;

Again our speech is compared to the ornaments of gold and silver . Let our speech be gentle , without malice and not quick to anger.

13-15…. Like the coolness of snow at harvest time
is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him;
he refreshes the spirit of his masters.
14 Like clouds and wind without rain
is a man who boasts of gifts he does not give.
15 Through patience a ruler can be persuaded,
and a gentle tongue can break a bone.

What beautiful descriptions of a gentle tongue . And look what a gentle tongue can bring.

21-22…. If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
22 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head,
and the LORD will reward you.

You And I know how hard it is to be kind and nice to our enemies . It is hard to treat those who do us wrong but God says we will be rewarded for our kind acts and the person who receives the kindness will probably then know what our true values and love are all about. And possibly turn him from his ways and want to embrace Our God .

Back