Question about God

Question about God

Does God have any other names than, well, God? Does He have a "true" name? I was really curious, I know some people say YHWH (I think that's how it's spelled?) or Yahweh, but are we sure that it's His true name or something. Or is His name just "God"?

Does God have any other names than, well, God? Does He have a "true" name? I was really curious, I know some people say YHWH (I think that's how it's spelled?) or Yahweh, but are we sure that it's His true name or something. Or is His name just "God"?

Yes..He has a whole bunch of names...I prefer to think of them as nicknames...He answers to all of them. I don't think anyone knows His real name...all I know is that He calls Himself "I Am"

I'll see if I can find a list with the meanings for you...

Yes..He has a whole bunch of names...I prefer to think of them as nicknames...He answers to all of them. I don't think anyone knows His real name...all I know is that He calls Himself "I Am"

I'll see if I can find a list with the meanings for you...

Yeah, like "Allah" and something else, lol.
Yes, he answers to all of the names. And, yes, I don't think anyone knows His real exact true name. Maybe we will when we get to Heaven! ^^

Thank you.

here are a few that I could find rather quickly
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Elohim[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Creator, Ruler, Absolute force, Sovereign[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ephesians 2:10[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
El-Olam[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- The Eternal God[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Genesis 21:33[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
El Shaddai[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- The Almighty Provider[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 77:15, Psalm 68:35[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Adonai[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Lord --- Master,[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 123:2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]God of apocalypse The God of Justice, Holiness and Love[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 3:14-15 Psalm 11:7, Leviticus 19:2, Jeremiah 31:3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Jirah[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord will provide[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Genesis 22;14[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Rophe[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord that heals[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 15:26[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Mkaddesh[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- He is the Good that sanctifies us (victory over sin)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]1 Corinthians 1:30[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Nissi[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- The Lord is my Banner[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 17:15[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Tsaba[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- The Lord Allmighty or God of the army[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]1 Samuel 1:3,10-19[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Tsidkenu[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord is our righteousness --- Jesus is our righteousness[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jeremiah 23:6 1 Corinthians 1:30, 2 Corinthians 5:21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Shalom[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- God is peace Jesus is our peace[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ephesians 2:14, John 14:21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Rohi[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]--- The Lord is my Sheperd[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 23, John 10:14[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Jehovah-Shammah[/FONT] --- [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The lord is here The manifestation of God's presence is here[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 48:35, 2 Corinthians 7:1-3

"Allah" is not a name for our God, the Christian God, the only God that "is"....

blessings,
Ken
[/FONT]

here are a few that I could find rather quickly
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Name[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Meaning of the Name[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Scriptures

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Elohim[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Creator, Ruler, Absolute force, Sovereign[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ephesians 2:10[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]El-Olam[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Eternal God[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Genesis 21:33[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]El Shaddai[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Almighty Provider[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 77:15, Psalm 68:35[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Adonai[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Lord, Master,[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 123:2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]God of apocalypse
The God of Justice, Holiness and Love[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 3:14-15
Psalm 11:7, Leviticus 19:2, Jeremiah 31:3[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Jirah[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord will provide[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Genesis 22;14[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Rophe[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord that heals[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 15:26[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Mkaddesh[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]He is the Good that sanctifies us (victory over sin)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]1 Corinthians 1:30[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Nissi[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord is my Banner[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 17:15[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Tsaba[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord Allmighty or God of the army[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]1 Samuel 1:3,10-19[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Tsidkenu[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord is our righteousness
Jesus is our righteousness[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jeremiah 23:6
1 Corinthians 1:30,
2 Corinthians 5:21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Shalom[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]God is peace
Jesus is our peace[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ephesians 2:14, John 14:21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Rohi[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Lord is my Sheperd[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Psalm 23, John 10:14[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Jehovah-Shammah[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The lord is here
The manifestation of God's presence is here[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exodus 48:35
2 Corinthians 7:1-3[/FONT]

Lol, lots of Jehovah!
But what if His real name really isn't Jehovah? Ooooo...hmmmm? *speculates*

Yeah, like "Allah" and something else, lol.
Yes, he answers to all of the names. And, yes, I don't think anyone knows His real exact true name. Maybe we will when we get to Heaven! ^^

Thank you.

Not what I was thinking...Allah is the Islamic god...not the same as the Christian God...

Jehovah - God
Jehovah Jirah - My Provider
Emmanuel - God With Us
Jesus -
Might God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
Jehovah Rapha - The Lord that Heals
Jehovah Shama - The Lord is Present
there are hundreds more...too many to post...

Not what I was thinking...Allah is the Islamic god...not the same as the Christian God...

Jehovah - God
Jehovah Jirah - My Provider
Emmanuel - God With Us
Jesus -
Might God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
Jehovah Rapha - The Lord that Heals
Jehovah Shama - The Lord is Present
there are hundreds more...too many to post...

I know, just making a reference. I couldn't think of anything.

Lol, lots of Jehovah!
But what if His real name really isn't Jehovah? Ooooo...hmmmm? *speculates*

well... since we have God's word given to us by God, then we can know somethings truly about God.... if we did not have the Bible then speculation is all we would ever have. But thank God we do not have to speculate!! So when the bible uses all these names for God, as each one merely describes some aspect of who God is and what He does, then we can know that these names truly are correct names for God. Are these all the names for God? I doubt it. But simply because we do not possess all the knowledge (all the names) there is to know about God, it doesn't follow that we therefore know nothing truly about who God is.

blessings,
Ken

well... since we have God's word given to us by God, then we can know somethings truly about God.... if we did not have the Bible then speculation is all we would ever have. But thank God we do not have to speculate!! So when the bible uses all these names for God, as each one merely describes some aspect of who God is and what He does, then we can know that these names truly are correct names for God. Are these all the names for God? I doubt it. But simply because we do not possess all the knowledge (all the names) there is to know about God, it doesn't follow that we therefore know nothing truly about who God is.

blessings,
Ken

I think maybe (like you have said), that these are names that some how describe God - because He is all of these.

Whatever His name is, I'm sure we'll find out one day. :D

God was to great for the Hebrews to describe or Name. They began to discribe His attributes and thus the nine coumpound Names of God. He has many Names in Scripture but allah is not one of His Names.

The Names of God
below is a list I have of the Names of God that I have compiled (some of you may have seen a partial list on another post) - I thougth you might enjoy:​

THE NAMES OF GOD​

JEHOVAH- ISAIAH 26:4 -GOD EVERLASTING STRENGTH, ROCK OF AGES​

JEHOVAH NISSI- EXODUS 17:15- THE LORD MY BANNER​

JEHOVAH SHALOM- JUDGES 6:24- THE LORD SEND PEACE​

JEHOVAH SHAMMAH - EZEKIAL 48:35 -THE LORD IS THERE​

JEHOVAH TSIDKENU- JEREMIAH 23:6- THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS​

JEHOVAH ROPHE- EXODUS 15:26- THE LORD HEALS​

JEHOVAH ROHI- PSALM 23:1- THE LORD MY SHEPARD​

JEHOVAH M’KADDESH- EXODUS 31:13- THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIES​

JEHOVAH SABAOTH- 1 SAMUEL 15:2 THE LORD OF HOSTS​

ISHI- HOSEA 2:16- HUSBAND​

BAALI - HOSEA 2:16- MY LORD​

ADONAY- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD AND FATHER​

ADONE HA ADONIM- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD OF LORDS​

EL ELYON- GENESIS 14:22- GOD MOST HIGH​

EL SHADDAI- GENESIS 17:1- THE GOD ALMIGHTY​

ANIY HAYAH- I AM- EXODUS 3:14- I EXIST (LITERALLY THE SELF EXISTANT ETERNAL GOD)​

ELOHIM- GENESIS 2:4- GREAT , JUDGE, ANGEL BUT WITH THE DEFINITIVE ARTICLE SUPREME GOD​

EL ELOE- GENESIS 33:20- THE GOD OF JACOB​

ELOI- MARK 15:34- MY GOD​

ABBA- MARK 14:36- FATHER​

EMMANUEL- MATTHEW 1:23- GOD WITH US​

G2962
κύριος
kurios
koo'-ree-os
From κῦροςkuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, (as noun) controller; by implication Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir.

Jesus

I was taught as a young boy that God has one true name, one that He Alone knows.

Because it can only be spoken in complete holiness, only He knows.

I always thought that was interesting.:)

Exodus 3:13-15 (NLT)
But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?”God replied to Moses, “I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you.”
God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.
This is my eternal name,
my name to remember for all generations

Tetragrammaton (from the Greek τετραγράμματον, meaning 'having four letters, refers to the Name written with four letters, namely יהוה, the name of the God of Israel, as preserved in the original consonantal Hebrew Bible text. These four letters are usually transliterated YHWH, YHVH, JHWH or JHVH in English.

Of course Hebrew text even today does not contain the vowel sounds so no one knows the name of God. All we have is the tetragrammaton (YHWH) to which someone added the vowels from Adoni which produced the word Jehovah.

He has many Names in scriptrue but Jasher hit the nail on the head. When Moses asked God whom shall I say sent me God replied with this:
Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

I AM- YHWH or Yayweh - the self existant eternal God.

So one that basis YHWH or as we pronunce it Yahweh is His definitive Name.

Later thranslations rendered it Jahweh which in turn was rendered Jehovah but a careful study shows there was no letter J in the Hebrew alphabet.

Back