Question about original bible?

What books were originally in the bible that king James took out and why?(Enoch, macabees,ETC.)

WHOAH!!! Hold on there little pard! :D

When you say the "Original Bible" ...well, there isn't an "Original Bible."
(Well,...actually the Pentatuche, but I know what you mean!) :)
There are manuscripts, autographa, eye witnesses, apostles, disciples, historical evidences......

Most of the 66 books we find in the modern English translations of the Bible are homologein, that is to say they were cannonised without dispute. At no time did anyone in the holy catholic and apostolic church question the authenticity or the validity of either the books or the messages contained within.

Others, are what we call antilegomena, which is to say, there have been some disputes as to the authenticity, the translation, or discussion over the relevance. "Revelation" is one example.

(FYI, I say "catholic" as little "c" universal, not to be confused with RCC.)

Everything contained within the King James version of the modern translation of the Bible, has been scrutinized by a variety of historical-grammatical methods of descernment in order to be sure that the works contained within these pages are truly inerrant and inspired by God.

That is not to state, that other documents such as Macabees, Enoch, and a wide variety of other manuscripts are not worthy of serious study, discussion, and thought, they were simply not canonized as they did not meet the very strict criteria to be viewed as such. :)

thanks
smile.gif

You are more than welcome.
Is that your only question?

That was a doozy!! of a question, filled with all sorts of great early Christian history.
I just wondered if you had something more specific in mind?? :)

Exactly which documents and such were not included in the Bible?

Most are included in what some would call the "Catholic Bible" today, and arecalled the "Apocryphal Books"

They are...
1. The First Book of Esdras (also known as Third Esdras)
2. The Second Book of Esdras (also known as Fourth Esdras)
3. Tobit
4. Judith
5. The Additions to the Book of Esther
6. The Wisdom of Solomon
7. Ecclesiasticus, or the Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach
8. Baruch
9. The Letter of Jeremiah (This letter is sometimes incorporated as the last chapter of Baruch. When this is done the number of books is fourteen instead of fifteen.)
10. The Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Young Men
11. Susanna
12. Bel and the Dragon
13. The Prayer of Manasseh
14. The First Book of Maccabees
15. The Second Book of Maccabees

There are also other "books" or "gospels" which have supposedly been discovered more recently, (20th century) and some gnostics like Elaine Pegals have attempted to introduce into Christendom like the gospel of Judas, and the gospel of Thomas.

These are books so far fetched that no serious scholor has ever given them serious credibility, however they are believed to contain the "secret" gnostic messages tyhat Jesus hid from us that have only recently been discovered by a select few.

(Like Elaine!) :D

Thank you.
I was watching the DaVinci code and they mentioned that Mary Magdalene wrote a gospel. I take it that would be one of those more recently discovered?

I was watching the DaVinci code and they mentioned that Mary Magdalene wrote a gospel. I take it that would be one of those more recently discovered?
Yes, you're absolutely right.

You see the gnostics, (Which are nothing new at all) believe in a secret that Jesus hid within His teachings.
They do not believe in thwe doctrine of Justification, or that salvation is by faith alone.
They do not accept the atonement of Christ (God) to be sufficient.
Rather they believe that God did the best hHe could, He got us as close as possible, but there is more you and I need to do to be saved.

And the "secret"! is hidden away. Some of us will discover it!

[OOOOOhh!!] [Make popcorn here!] :D

Now, Dan Brown took this to a whole new level and he and Ron Howard and Tom Hanks and others made TONS and TONS of money, by trying to convince people that the "Secret Code" was actually hidden in some of Da Vinci's paintings.

That isn't really John next to Jesus, it is Mary Magdalene, (John must have actually been hiding under the table when DaVinci snapped the photo)

Jesus and Mary had children, they are the true Challace, the communion, the secret to the way to the Father.

On and on, and on.

Like I said....It sells lots of tickets and make a select few extremely wealthy.

It's kind of like the people who think the government actually bombed the World Trade Center, and we never actually went to the moon. :)

KOO KOO ! KOO KOO! :D

Yes, you're absolutely right.

You see the gnostics, (Which are nothing new at all) believe in a secret that Jesus hid within His teachings.
They do not believe in thwe doctrine of Justification, or that salvation is by faith alone.
They do not accept the atonement of Christ (God) to be sufficient.
Rather they believe that God did the best hHe could, He got us as close as possible, but there is more you and I need to do to be saved.

And the "secret"! is hidden away. Some of us will discover it!

[OOOOOhh!!] [Make popcorn here!] :D

Now, Dan Brown took this to a whole new level and he and Ron Howard and Tom Hanks and others made TONS and TONS of money, by trying to convince people that the "Secret Code" was actually hidden in some of Da Vinci's paintings.

That isn't really John next to Jesus, it is Mary Magdalene, (John must have actually been hiding under the table when DaVinci snapped the photo)

Jesus and Mary had children, they are the true Challace, the communion, the secret to the way to the Father.

On and on, and on.

Like I said....It sells lots of tickets and make a select few extremely wealthy.

It's kind of like the people who think the government actually bombed the World Trade Center, and we never actually went to the moon. :)

KOO KOO ! KOO KOO! :D

haha, yea, I love the book and movie but only because they are a good story.

You mentioned #7. Ecclesiasticus, or the Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach above as one of the books not cannonized. Was there another Jesus?

Sweets, there have been many people called Jesus, and still are today. Even Barabbas, who was freed at the time of Jesus' crucifiction, had the first name Jesus (and Barabbas means "son of the father", which just goes to show how far satan will go in his attempted counterfeits.)

blessings,

Lynn

The apocryphal books contain everything from historical error, to witchcraft and outright confusion. The Apostle Paul declared that the Jewish people were the keepers of the Old Testament scriptures and they soundly rejected the Apocrypha as erroneous. It is when one tries to interject such confusion into the Word of God that strange doctrines are practiced.
One cannot improve on God's Word. Adding to it will only produce error. One thing is undeniable- if it contradicts God's Word then it is refuse.

Thanks for your post Boanerges. As I was reading through the various postings I was reminded of those verses in Rev. 22:18 "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

Such a curse!!! And directed at the Church community. There has been much discussion as to whether these words mean someone who takes away from the prophecy will lose their salvation, but it seems clear that the final reward will be lost to those who outwardly profess to be Christians, but have never had true faith. This is quite possible because the repeated characteristics highlighted in the end of the book is not that of genuine believers losing their redeemed status, but of the counterfeit, double dealing people who have infiltrated the Christian community. Clearly no genuine Christian would seek to either add or take away from the book of prophecy.

What I think we learn from these verses and similar ones in the Scriptures (for example Deut. 4:1-2 and 12:32) is how seriously God takes His Word, and how careful we should be not to add our own ideas or to take away those bits that we don't find comfortable.

God bless us all as we learn together.

What I think we learn from these verses and similar ones in the Scriptures (for example Deut. 4:1-2 and 12:32) is how seriously God takes His Word, and how careful we should be not to add our own ideas or to take away those bits that we don't find comfortable.

God bless us all as we learn together.

well said. God does take His Word seriously as we can see. This gives me comfort when people attack the inerrancy of scripture. and what books should and should not be. Even the fact of the catholic churches major roll in the creation of the canon we have today.

God protects His Word and I am confident the Bible I read is the actual inerrant Word of God. Nothing has been added or taken away. No errors have accumulated over time.

What books were originally in the bible that king James took out and why?(Enoch, macabees,ETC.)

[FONT=&quot]Back to the OP question, the books that you would find in the original King James Bible of 1611 are[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tobit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 and 2 Maccabees[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wisdom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sirach[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Baruch[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are also sections of Esther and Daniel that you would find in the Catholic Bible and other ancient churches that are no longer in the King James Bible.

The King James Bible removed this books at around the year 1880’s. I tried to find why some time back but was unable to find any real reason.

[/FONT]

The apocryphal books contain everything from historical error, to witchcraft and outright confusion. The Apostle Paul declared that the Jewish people were the keepers of the Old Testament scriptures and they soundly rejected the Apocrypha as erroneous. It is when one tries to interject such confusion into the Word of God that strange doctrines are practiced.
One cannot improve on God's Word. Adding to it will only produce error. One thing is undeniable- if it contradicts God's Word then it is refuse.

Boanerges, can you state what historical error and witchcraft?

I would suggest to those interested in the Jewish canon and indeed in the N.T. canon that they read Eusebius "The History of the Church". In Book 6 there are several references to Origen's Labours on Holy Writ, which set out the books that Origen understood to be accepted by the Jews, and his reasons for such understanding, together with other writers.

As Eusebius is the first Christian Historian his History provides interesting study for any Christian, and in paperback is not expensive. (About £10 Sterling). The ISBN No. is 0-14-044535-8

I would suggest to those interested in the Jewish canon and indeed in the N.T. canon that they read Eusebius "The History of the Church". In Book 6 there are several references to Origen's Labours on Holy Writ, which set out the books that Origen understood to be accepted by the Jews, and his reasons for such understanding, together with other writers.

As Eusebius is the first Christian Historian his History provides interesting study for any Christian, and in paperback is not expensive. (About £10 Sterling). The ISBN No. is 0-14-044535-8

I don’t know if the [FONT=&quot]King James Bible was based on the [/FONT]Pharisees Jewish canon, if that was the case how come the earliest [FONT=&quot]King James Bible had all the books that the [/FONT]Pharisees Jewish canon did not contain.

kjvtoc1615.jpg

copy of a 1625 A King James Version

ion

Back