Question about remarriage

Question about remarriage

Hello Everyone! :)
I have an unusual question. I read somewhere in another discussion that if someone divorces their spouse, it is adultery to remarry anyone but their ex. I have been raised in a Christian home all of my life and i have never heard of this to be honest. Is this stated in scripture? If so, where?
I ask this because I have a cousin who divorced and remarried another man. Her ex husband was not a Christian but she stayed with him because the bible says for a woman stay with a non christian man so that he can be converted ( or something like that). Anyway, he ex was a real jerk and ended up being an alcoholic. He also beat her up in front of their small son. Justifiably, she divorced him. A few years later, she remarried a christian man. He is very good to her and strong man of faith. Some people have said that is considered adultery. But I see nothing wrong with what she did. If you believe this is adultery, could you please tell me why?

I condem noone- I hope your cousin is happy and I don't think God would want her to be physically abused by anyone.

SuzieQ9109 said:
Some people have said that is considered adultery.
"Some people" don't know what their talking about.

1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath a husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Any man or woman professing to be a Christian that abandons, abuses, and or commits adultryagainst his or her family is a lier and an unbeliever.
While God wills that the marriage be upheld when a spouse is unrepentant and continues in these actions against the children and or spouse they have,in their heart, if not physicaly, departed and the other is not bound in such cases.
Certianly if the wronged spouse is a Christian they will for the love of God family and marriage withstand as much as they can before ending the marriage.
That makes them free to remarry,Hopefuly better the next time.

The determination as to whether it is justified or adultry is up to God not "some people".

Sincerely His
Cliff

It is not up to us to Judge...

Just read what the bible says...

Luke 16

18Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Although he husband abused her I feel that is grounds for divorce..God dosent want us in abusive relationships...thats why you have to be so careful when you marry someone.

I agree with the previous posters. Your cousin should not feel guilty for getting away from the loser and finding happiness and love with another.

I believe where the Bible permits divorce, it permits remarriage.

The Scripture you asked for is Matthew 5:32 and 1 Corinthians chapter 7.

Please remember that God Himself is a divorcee. If we CAREFULLY read Jeremiah 3:1-13 (KJV), especially Jeremiah 3:8 (KJV) we see this told specifically regarding God's marriage to Israel.

As Christians, we have repentence for any part of a failed marriage that we may have been responsible for. Once we repent from the heart, that sin is wiped out of our Book of Life as if it never happened. God forgives our sins and adultry of the flesh and divorce is not the unpardonable sin. Some denominations still cling to a false teaching about divorce, but scripture does not support that teaching... it is rather a tradition of MAN, not from the Word of God.

We can also read all of 1 Corinthians 7 (KJV) for our responsibilities and duties in a marriage.

Back