Question --- Ephesians 1 : 9- 10

Dusty

Inactive
Question --- Ephesians 1 : 9- 10

Ephesians 1:9-10 9And he[a] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.

Footnotes:
  1. Ephesians 1:9 Or us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he
According to verses 9-10 , God has blessed us by revealing that the unltimate goal of history is to bring all things under Christ . What does this mean?

Because God purposed that Christ would be the ultimate sacrifice for our sins and Christ died for our sins we have been forgiven of our sins through Him.

The part that I cannot understand is where it says" it is to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head , even Christ."

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

It would seem to refer both to His desire to save and restore us and to bring His people into unity. Perhaps I am missing someything though. How about it guys, where are our scholars?:)

Yah ,where are all the Bible School students ?

Ok, I have been pondering on this today and what I thought it could mean.

When Christ came on this earth God's purpose was fulfilled because God gave Christ the power and dominion in heaven and on earth and that is why He said under "one head " even Christ. Does that make sense. ?

That one head is Christ. What translation is that Mom?
Christ sits under One and One only, that being the Father.

I would just like to add the following verses that ALSO apply to this concept"

Matthew 5:17-19 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Amen to all be fulfilled-
Thank You Jesus that You fulfilled the law for us. Thank You Holy Spirit that when we walk in submission to You we never conflict the Word. Thank You Father that Your Word says we are not under the law any more as not one single man could be righteous by the Law.
Thank You God that we have a new and better covenant.

King James Translation

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Contemporary English Translation

Eph 1:9 and by what Christ has done, God has shown us his own mysterious ways.
Eph 1:10 Then when the time is right, God will do all that he has planned, and Christ will bring together everything in heaven and on earth.

Good News Bible

Eph 1:9 God did what he had purposed, and made known to us the secret plan he had already decided to complete by means of Christ.
Eph 1:10 This plan, which God will complete when the time is right, is to bring all creation together, everything in heaven and on earth, with Christ as head.

God's Word

Eph 1:9 when he revealed the mystery of his plan to us. He had decided to do this through Christ.
Eph 1:10 He planned to bring all of history to its goal in Christ. Then Christ would be the head of everything in heaven and on earth.

What this tells me is that it is through Christ that God has reveiled His plan to us and that when it finished, heaven and earth will be under the authority of Christ.

Sincerely His
Cliff

Ok, here’s a thought… an analogy, if you will.
There is a huge family. All the brothers and sisters live in California and the mother and father live in the state of New York. They are separated by all the states in-between. They can communicate across the separation. Telephone, letters, email… any time of the day or night, all day and night if they want. When a child dies, they end up in New York. One day, all the states in-between are going to vanish and California and New York will slide together and become as one state. The parents and all the children will be together. They will be able to look at one another, touch one another, smell one another…

It’s a little scratchy and not an exact analogy, but that is what popped into my mind.

Blessings
Dean

Heaven on Earth

Ok, here’s a thought… an analogy, if you will.
There is a huge family. All the brothers and sisters live in California and the mother and father live in the state of New York. They are separated by all the states in-between. They can communicate across the separation. Telephone, letters, email… any time of the day or night, all day and night if they want. When a child dies, they end up in New York. One day, all the states in-between are going to vanish and California and New York will slide together and become as one state. The parents and all the children will be together. They will be able to look at one another, touch one another, smell one another…

It’s a little scratchy and not an exact analogy, but that is what popped into my mind.

Blessings
Dean

So, is that how the Second Coming will be? Heaven will come down to earth? I always wondered why God would spend all that time preparing a place for us, just to send us back to earth when he makes a new one. Does that make sense?

So, is that how the Second Coming will be? Heaven will come down to earth? I always wondered why God would spend all that time preparing a place for us, just to send us back to earth when he makes a new one. Does that make sense?

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were gone; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy town, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, like a bride made beautiful for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And there came to my ears a great voice out of the high seat, saying, See, the Tent of God is with men, and he will make his living-place with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them, and be their God.

It doesn’t really have to make sense to us now, we will understand when we need to. It says in verse 3, “…and God himself will be with them, and be their God”.

Does it matter if we are with God… or if God is with us?
Being together with God is the main thing. He won’t be sending us “back” to earth, there will be a “new” earth. And it is possible that the new earth will actually be part of the new heaven, so, being on the new earth will be like being in heaven. Not so much the new heaven coming down to earth or the new earth going up to heaven, but the two coming together. I think then, the whole universe will be heaven.

What this tells me is that it is through Christ that God has reveiled His plan to us and that when it finished, heaven and earth will be under the authority of Christ.

Yes , Cliff... oh I get it because it says.... " to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fullment " And the fulfillment of time has not taken place yet. Thanks .

Eph 1:10 This plan, which God will complete when the time is right, is to bring all creation together, everything in heaven and on earth, with Christ as head.

The good news Bible has the best translation. I guess the wording in the NIV threw me off.

It did seem that your translation was at least confusing on this verse.

Back