Question for all members

Is this scripture in the thread vital to a NT Believer?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just the ones that seem wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the verse below and cast your vote And make a reply explaining your reasoning for your view.

In one week I am going to dig into this scripture big time right here.
Thank You
FCJ

2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

'For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God,
and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.'

(2 Cor. 10:3-6)

Hello @Fish Catcher Jim,

This is in the practical section of 2 Corinthians, where Paul calls upon his readers to put into practice the doctrinal teaching he has taught them. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, is to pull down the strong holds which would keep us subservient to the carnal mind of the flesh. This is where the warfare of the believer takes place, within the mind; for the mind is the control centre of our whole being, like the rudder of a ship that controls it's movements.

So yes, this knowledge is vital to the believer.

Good topic, Jim. :)
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Please read the verse below and cast your vote And make a reply explaining your reasoning for your view.

Thank You
FCJ

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Jim, I look forward to your comments. I personally wish that you would not a week to lay them out.

As I contemplate on the verse you posted and the poll you asked, I feel compelled to give you the reason why I voted "Yes".

Consider ......"and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God". That to me indicates a barrier or a wall which means something to keep us from knowing about God, especially the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. That IMO is the only way anyone can ever know God.

Allow me to post some Scriptures which we find the phrase: "the knowledge of God":

Proverbs 2:5.........
"Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God".

Hosea 6:6.............
"For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than offerings."

1 Corinthians 15:34.....
"Awake to righteousness, and sin not, for some have not the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame".

Colossians 1:10..........
"That ye might walk worth of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work,......increasing in the knowledge of God".

IMO, what ever it is worth, is that the born again believer is called upon by God to surrender himself, soul, spirit and body. Included in that is also every thought must be surrendered to Christ! His victory over us must be entire and complete.

Why????

We cannot as believers expect Him to supply our every spiritual need, unless we have lost ourselves in Christ. That is what it means, "to be hidden in Christ". To me, when the context of chapter 5 is considered, Paul is teaching us that through faith the believer destroys all vain reasoning and every high thing which places itself as a barrier or wall against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought, every faculty of the mind into captivity to the obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe this is definitely a key verse to discuss. I like how Major bolded 'knowledge of God'. Grasping that for me is the key. The more knowledge we have of God the more real God is in our life. The more we trust Him. So the first part speaks clearly to me about casting down whatever things we trust in, over Him.

I believe this is definitely a key verse to discuss. I like how Major bolded 'knowledge of God'. Grasping that for me is the key. The more knowledge we have of God the more real God is in our life. The more we trust Him. So the first part speaks clearly to me about casting down whatever things we trust in, over Him.

Hello my brother. I hope you are well!

Just to follow up with you on my thinking about this, in Pro. 6:22, Solomon describes the holy Scriptures in a very beautiful way. He says concerning the Scriptures.......................
"When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee."

The Scriptures are the talking book. They speak to our hearts. They give to us the knowledge of God.

That is because the Bible is the revelation of God. It is not a human book. It is the book that God Himself wrote through holy men, men whom He inspired and gave to write His own Word. On its pages God reveals Himself. The pages of the Bible, to the believing heart, are like mirrors, mirrors reflecting God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So then, to grow in the knowledge of God, we must, then, study the holy Scriptures of God.

Blessing to you!

Thank You
FCJ

Everything begins with a thought. It is the fertile ground of our mind where the seeds of thought are planted, cultivated, harvested, and weeded. When the thought is harvested (acted upon) it is stored in our soul/heart/conscience/DNA where our judgements are kept. This is why the verse points out two issues: the thoughts, and the high things. What God is saying is, don't have a passive mind, but an active mind. A passive mind is one that runs primarily on auto pilot. An active mind takes responsibility for its actions and inactions. The high things are those ideas and beliefs that we have judged and stored accordingly erroneously. This is why David begged to have any wickedness searched for by God because we are incapable of doing so. God says to come and reason together, that's taking Him at His word and removing the stronghold. Dogma and life experiences dismiss the word of God in our daily walk, and a lot of time we don't know it. The Kingdom of God is not by word, but by power. The seemingly lack of demonstration plants the seed of doubt in our mind, where it creates a theology to reinforce that wrong belief. Only the belief that the word of God is true, even today, that can permit the bringing down of that stronghold. The growth rate from plant to harvest of a strongly fertilized thought is faster than a blink of an eye.

@Complete @loriT @Major @KingJ @Cturtle @Melizza

Blessings Everyone,
If you look at the poll you will notice that there is 2 more choices added.
I set it up so you can click on the Change Your Vote Tab and then Vote on one of the Two Added choices.

Oh and at Major, I don't believe I will wait the full week. Like looking at the present placed under the tree December 18th. Lol

Thank you Every One
God Bless
FCJ

Absolutely my friend. It is hard to watch a fire grow without throwing on a log isn't it????

I'm not sure how to answer this survey.

The cited scripture concerns getting rid of anything that stands between the believer and the Lord.

I would answer Yes, this is vital to a New Testament Believer....

But it is not a only a Yes or No survey.

Option 3 is to weigh everything.

See 1 Thess 5:21:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good
NASB

So I would say that 1 Thess 5:21 points to option 3 as a method (not a complete method to be sure) of determining what to cast out and what to keep. Both that does not lessen the importance of the casting out, so either and both are apporpriate (and scriptural).

Hello my brother. I hope you are well!

Just to follow up with you on my thinking about this, in Pro. 6:22, Solomon describes the holy Scriptures in a very beautiful way. He says concerning the Scriptures.......................
"When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee."

The Scriptures are the talking book. They speak to our hearts. They give to us the knowledge of God.

That is because the Bible is the revelation of God. It is not a human book. It is the book that God Himself wrote through holy men, men whom He inspired and gave to write His own Word. On its pages God reveals Himself. The pages of the Bible, to the believing heart, are like mirrors, mirrors reflecting God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So then, to grow in the knowledge of God, we must, then, study the holy Scriptures of God.

Blessing to you!
Excellent stuff Major.

Thank You
FCJ

I voted "yes" as I believe EVERY scripture is vital to a NT believer :) but also, I like how Paul encourages us to take authority because we belong to Christ. The authority with the guidance of the Holy Spirit to teach, encourage, and share with those who oppose the Gospel or the Good News.

'For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God,
and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.'

(2 Cor. 10:3-6)

Hello @Fish Catcher Jim,

This is in the practical section of 2 Corinthians, where Paul calls upon his readers to put into practice the doctrinal teaching he has taught them. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, is to pull down the strong holds which would keep us subservient to the carnal mind of the flesh. This is where the warfare of the believer takes place, within the mind; for the mind is the control centre of our whole being, like the rudder of a ship that controls it's movements.

So yes, this knowledge is vital to the believer.

Good topic, Jim. :)
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I think the only way this is achievable is by reckoning on the finished work of Christ, and on our identification with Him in His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand, 'far above all principalities and powers and every name that is named'. That is the position of power that we occupy in Christ!!. To reckon ourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God, and living rejoicing in what He has accomplished positively and practically.

It cannot be achieved by constant self examination and occupation, but only by a mind which is occupied with Christ and what He has achieved: and on what God has willed and made possible by His all-sufficient sacrifice. The knowledge that we are 'Complete in Christ.' 'Accepted in the Beloved', presented Holy and without Blame before God the Father (Eph.1), because of what Christ has done. This is our standing before God the Father, in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Praise God!

Anything that would deny this truth must be cast down and brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:
I think its all about self-control and being led by the Holy Spirit than the words of man.
We must rebuke false arguments against the Knowledge of God and morph them into inspiring arguments for the Knowledge of God.

Exodus 23:1 - Do not spread false reports. Do not help a guilty person by being a malicious witness.

'... And the peace of God,
which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus.'

(Php 4:7)

The word, 'keep', here is translated from the Greek word, 'phroureo', meaning - to watch, to mount guard as a sentinel, to hem in, protect, to keep (with a garrison).

I have probably spoken of this before, but I do love the idea of being kept as with a garrison. What a wonderful sense of security this brings doesn't it? In this case it is the heart and mind that is being kept, and the verses before this in Philippians 4, show us our part in making this peace a constant living reality in our lives. His peace is what garrisons our hearts and minds.

'- Rejoice in the Lord alway:

and again I say, Rejoice.
- Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
- Be careful for nothing;
but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren,
- whatsoever things are true,
- whatsoever things are honest,
- whatsoever things are just,
- whatsoever things are pure,
- whatsoever things are lovely,
- whatsoever things are of good report;

if there be any virtue,
and if there be any praise,
think on these things.
- Those things, which ye have both learned,
and received, and heard, and seen in me, do:
and the God of peace shall be with you.'

Praise God!

It can't be clearer than that, can it?

:)

Because it is true. And because it also reinforces and upholds the work and power of the Holy Spirit within a true Pentecostal worshipper to
pray in the Spirit and overcome all thoughts and desires, etc, that need to be quashed (done away with).
Our old self is to be conquered and the flesh to be denied. Hence the absolute need to exercise the power of the Holy Ghost to cleanse and
strengthen the inner man.
John 15:5
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back