Question on Scripture

Dec 17, 2018
south africa
However the question was not dealing with prophecy.
When The Holy Spirit makes a scripture to stand out it is most defiantly for them and not necessarly for everyone at that time
However the question was not dealing with prophecy.
When The Holy Spirit makes a scripture to stand out it is most defiantly for them and not necessarly for everyone at that time
does the Spirit interpret the same piece of scripture differently for each person?

Sep 3, 2009
Florida
does the Spirit interpret the same piece of scripture differently for each person?
Usually there are 3 reasons why Scriptures are interpreted differently and none of them involve the Holy Spirit.

1)
We’re sinful. Our sin keeps us from seeing things clearly. We want certain things to be true, and we close our eyes to other things we don’t want to be true. I see this happen all the time. I see people’s ability to reason go down in proportion to how strongly they’re resisting God and His authority over their lives.
I think that a carful reading of Romans 1 will verify this.

2)
People often have a second authority in addition to the Bible to which they’ve granted the final word on their interpretation. Whether that authority is parents and family, church tradition, ideas in the culture, or the head of a denomination, if the Bible is interpreted through and under something else, the result will be distorted (particularly when coupled with reason #1).

In other words, we grew up in a church and were taught that it was in the Bible that divorced men can not be Pastors and deacons. Now, there are people who will go to their grave believing that, no matter what the Bible says. By the way, the Bible actually says that a man "Must be married to ONE woman" and does NOT say a divorced man can not be a deacon.

3)
Not everyone is using good hermeneutical skills to interpret the Bible. Being “learned” doesn’t guarantee that you’re using what you’ve learned, or even that you learned it in the first place. When you see that people have different interpretations, dig a little deeper. Why do they interpret the passage the way they do? Ask questions and follow the trail of their reasoning. Do they stay within the text to make their case, or do they appeal to something else? Can they show you how the biblical writer’s train of thought leads step by step to their conclusion? Are they considering the passage in the context of the chapter, the book, the Bible? Are they interpreting it in light of the genre (type) of the writing (history, wisdom literature, gospel, etc.)? Are they taking the author’s time and culture into account?

Dec 17, 2018
south africa
Usually there are 3 reasons why Scriptures are interpreted differently and none of them involve the Holy Spirit.

1)
We’re sinful. Our sin keeps us from seeing things clearly. We want certain things to be true, and we close our eyes to other things we don’t want to be true. I see this happen all the time. I see people’s ability to reason go down in proportion to how strongly they’re resisting God and His authority over their lives.
I think that a carful reading of Romans 1 will verify this.

2)
People often have a second authority in addition to the Bible to which they’ve granted the final word on their interpretation. Whether that authority is parents and family, church tradition, ideas in the culture, or the head of a denomination, if the Bible is interpreted through and under something else, the result will be distorted (particularly when coupled with reason #1).

In other words, we grew up in a church and were taught that it was in the Bible that divorced men can not be Pastors and deacons. Now, there are people who will go to their grave believing that, no matter what the Bible says. By the way, the Bible actually says that a man "Must be married to ONE woman" and does NOT say a divorced man can not be a deacon.

3)
Not everyone is using good hermeneutical skills to interpret the Bible. Being “learned” doesn’t guarantee that you’re using what you’ve learned, or even that you learned it in the first place. When you see that people have different interpretations, dig a little deeper. Why do they interpret the passage the way they do? Ask questions and follow the trail of their reasoning. Do they stay within the text to make their case, or do they appeal to something else? Can they show you how the biblical writer’s train of thought leads step by step to their conclusion? Are they considering the passage in the context of the chapter, the book, the Bible? Are they interpreting it in light of the genre (type) of the writing (history, wisdom literature, gospel, etc.)? Are they taking the author’s time and culture into account?
Hey Major

thanks for your reply..although i dont think you have answered my question...i understand that we mis-interpret for many reasons as you have just mentioned..

When God gives you a scripture that is just for you and personal to you, how do you walk in that scripture / blessing?
How do you take a hold of it as yours and gain the blessing of what God is giving you / saying to you?
If God gives you a scripture to help you with your walk with Christ, then it makes sense to listen to what the scripture is saying.

For example, let's say you are looking for an answer to a question you have. You pray to God and you feel led to read psalm 46:10. In this scripture it says to, "be still and know that I am God." What do you think God is telling you to do? We listen to this leading and we become still and listen to God. Simple, eh? If God led you to do this and you obey it, then God will certainly answer your question.

It all depends on what leading God gave you to answer your question.

Sometimes you can ask and receive nothing. During such times God could be asking you to continue waiting on Him, or He wants you to make the effort and work this out yourself.

There is no formula for this, but if you are sincerely trying to do God's will, then it will work out in the end (Romans 8:1).

In peace

Amens/Likes: RDJ
Feb 5, 2013
Wharton NJ
When God gives you a scripture that is just for you and personal to you, how do you walk in that scripture / blessing?
How do you take a hold of it as yours and gain the blessing of what God is giving you / saying to you?
I think it is a lot to do with belief and faith. Bible is filled with promises. The real question is whether we are taking it to our heart and believing them. And God might put a verse right in front of us. We can choose to ignore and say that's not for me or take it to heart and believe that God is going to fulfill that in our lives. I struggle with this myself. We need to have child like faith. When I tell my kids that I am going to do something or buy something, they trust me whole heartedly. I don't know if I trust my Lord in the same way. I am still working on that.