Question: To What Extent Does God See Me?

In Genesis God called out to Adam and Eve and they hid themselves, so could he not see them?
In Job, God asked Satan where did you come from? So could God not see where?
It says the eyes of God search or scan the Earth? so is God looking but not all seeing?
It also says draw near to God and he will draw near to you? so does that then infer that God is not aware of you unless you take deliberate action to call on Him?
Thank you for your reply, please quote scripture and not opinion.

In Genesis God called out to Adam and Eve and they hid themselves, so could he not see them?
It says the eyes of God search or scan the Earth? so is God looking but not all seeing?
It also says draw near to God and he will draw near to you? so does that then infer that God is not aware of you unless you take deliberate action to call on Him?

The Lord God knows all things, and there is nothing hidden from the eyes of whom we have to do. Angels, or man can not see everything, or know everything as God does, so the Lord operates on a level to where man can understand him. God knew Adam was hiding from him and so he communicated to Adam as if he could not see him even though he could. By doing this Adam responded back to God in a way that brought forth why he was hiding.

The Lord could have created man to love God just because he wanted him to. But that is not rue love. There has to be a reason and purpose to love someone. There has to be a cause before there can be a affect. We love God because he first loved us.
There has to be an example in how to love someone before one can reciprocate back. We draw close to God, because he drew close to us by revealing himself. For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

First, welcome to the site. Please familiarize yourself with our mission and our rules:

http://www.christianforumsite.com/categories/your-welcome-pack.104/

God sees everything everywhere, Hebrews 4:13. If you notice whenever God asks us a question it's to point out a need, not because He doesn't know. The scriptures also say He has a book of remembrance but that doesn't mean He's forgetful. All the books spoken of in the scriptures are for our benefit, protocol if you will, so we are left speechless at the day of judgement. God died for us, He's just looking for those who will have fellowship with Him, otherwise we're left to our own devices and consequences, Psalm 81:12, Romans 1:24-25.

I see that scripture says that God sees ALL and everything but also that in Gensis 18 it implies a keeping distance, aware but not intimate with...
Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”
22The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.d 23Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24What if there are fifty righteous people in the city?
The scripture also says draw near to God and he will draw near to you 2chrom 15:,He went out to meet Asa and said to him, "Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.
To me this means that if we should actively seek God in order to have God and not rely on assumed presence?

I see that scripture says that God sees ALL and everything but also that in Gensis 18 it implies a keeping distance, aware but not intimate with...
Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”
22The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.d 23Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24What if there are fifty righteous people in the city?
The scripture also says draw near to God and he will draw near to you 2chrom 15:,He went out to meet Asa and said to him, "Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.
To me this means that if we should actively seek God in order to have God and not rely on assumed presence?
That's the way I see it. In Greek there's a verb tense that is a "constant continuance" as in Matthew 7:7, continually seek, continually ask, continually knock. Your relationship with God is just as important and even moreso than your spouse. If you stoped talking to your best friend, how long would they remain your best friend?

There are two issues. 1. God turns away from sin / sinners and 2. when God calls out to Adam and Eve or Cain, 'where is your brother' He is asking a rhetorical question. Giving opportunity to them to repent.

On, '1', think about John 9:31 Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him.

Does this mean God does ''literally'' not hear them? Of course not. We know He hears the prayer of repentance. So, it just means He does not answer their 'sinner' prayers.

In your post the question to the devil is interesting. On the one hand God put the devil on earth. God knows this. God knows the devil's power. So, God definitely knows where the devil is and coming from. But perhaps God 'chooses / it pleases Him' not to know where on earth he is?

Psalm 135:6 The LORD does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths.

I look at them as rhetorical questions.. Same way Jesus asked a blind man what does he want!

My friend....sin makes man a coward and an evader. You will see here on this web site as you will on all other Christian web sites how sin leads man to seek refuge in half truths, deceit, evasion and faith in religion instead of the Lord Jesus Christ.

When God asks questions of man such as He did Adam and Cain they are rhetorical which allows man to repent.

All God wants from us is a simple honest confession of our sin which is why He makes it so simple to be saved.

Romans 10:9
Acts 16:30-31

I can’t answer your question: “to what extent does God see me”, but I can answer to what extent God sees me personally.

God has made a home in me, and is with me at all times.

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

Don't take Genesis too literally.
Just because it says that Adam and Eve hid themselves the notion that God did not know where they were is rediculous.
God is aware of all things at all times, i.e. omniscient.

To draw near to God is to be obedient, not wayward and lawless. God tends to ignore those who disobey him, intentionally or otherwise.

You'd have to quote the entirety of scripture, which I will not do.
Note that all through the Bible God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him.

1 Sam. 16:7
"But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.”

Don't take Genesis too literally.
Just because it says that Adam and Eve hid themselves the notion that God did not know where they were is rediculous.
God is aware of all things at all times, i.e. omniscient.

To draw near to God is to be obedient, not wayward and lawless. God tends to ignore those who disobey him, intentionally or otherwise.

You'd have to quote the entirety of scripture, which I will not do.
Note that all through the Bible God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him.

Agreed. God "looking" for them was a comparative statement so that we would be able to understand the importance of the event.

Everytime God asks a question, it is to point out that have a need. In Adam's case, he needed peace because he had fear. God was pointing out Adam's error and opened a dialog for the truth to be found out.

God knows every detail of everything. I can't answer with full certainty to your question (After all, I don't know everything God does), but it could be that when God says things like "Where are you?" It's similar to a parent telling children "What are you doing up at 1:00 A.M.?", when the parent already knows the answer.

Maybe I am being too simplistic, but God has 20-20 vision for us and sees us with clear and perfect eyes. He sees all of us all of the time. He sees our inside and outside. He sees our thoughts, feelings, emotions...all of us.:)

Did you ever notice in the Gospels, that Jesus always asked a lot of questions to his disciples? These questions were not asked to learn anything, as the Lord knew the answer to every question he asked. This was Jesus's method of teaching. Sometimes it is better to ask a question so as to let the Holy Spirit reveal a truth to someone other than just just telling them the answer.

There is nothing hidden from the eyes with whom we have to do (Heb 4:12-13) , yet the Lord chooses to what he sees. God turns from iniquity, for his eyes are more purer than to behold sin.

Hab 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

Maybe we should learn this same lesson, as to not look upon evil or the things that are seen with our physical eyes. The only time God's eternal power is working for us is when we are not looking that the things seen, but at the things not seen by faith.

2Co 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Co 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

God is omnipotent and from him "NOTHING is hid" Insofar as Adam and Eve were hiding from the presence of God (see Jonah) they were in darkness .
God knew perfectly well where they were. They clearly did not and by asking where are you?
He wanted them to know that they were lost and now in darkness.
When he asked them "what have you done"?
It revealed two things .
They did not fully appreciate what they had done and its awful consequences .
and it revealed I think something of God . Not his lack of knowledge and understanding both of what had been done and its awful price that will have to be paid to put it right .
For the road to calvary did not start at Bethlehem but with the Words "let there be light"

If God is omnipresent and he is .
Then when the scripture says draw near to God and God will draw near to you .

Does not mean GEOGRAPHICALY .

For God is here every where all at the same time .

But even as a son in rebellion or disobedient against his father may live geographically in the same place .
They are in all other ways a million miles apart.
and it is not until the mind and attitude of the son comes more and more into line with their father does the father draw night to him.
The prodigal son was not of the same mind as the father geographically and so left into a "far country"
But once he ahd come to his senses and thought thoughts of repentance and then works of repentance and began to think and walk in the direction of his fathers house then they drew closer in every other way .
The elder brother however while in the same house as his father was neither of the same mind or heart as his father as the prodigal son became.
What of Samson?
He drifted further and further away from God until he lost all his vision and was made blind.
But as time past his thoughts and heart became more and more inline with Gods and eventually God drew close to him .

in Christ
gerald

Back