Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Question

I am a Christian, and I have something that's been on my mind a lot recently.

I know there's the whole separation of church and state and such, but I don't understand why all the baptist churches I've been to have American flags. Or why our hymnals contain songs that praise our great nation. Or why, during events like vacation bible school we pledge our allegiance to the flag. (Well, that last one I don't understand at all, even pledging to the Christian flag, it's a flag. Why do we pledge our allegiance to it?)

My feeling of this is that our allegiance should be solely to GOD, and saying that we pledge allegiance to a country, or anything else is, hypocritical, or, dividing our allegiance.

I guess I just don't understand.

My country like all gifts from God should be cared for like a good steward would.

What the founding Fathers of this nation planned and the abomination it has been twisted into are two completely different things.

First - God wishes to be a part of every aspect of our lives - that is why Jesus Christ came to make the way for that possible.

Second the founding fathers intended to keep government out of religion and not our faith out of government. There is no real hope for this nation without His blessing.
Below are 3 quotes from George Washington himself:

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors."

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.

What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”

The bible says we are to submit to the ordinance of the govt. Just like members of a church, we are to submit to the steward (pastor). Pledging allegiance to the flag or saying a nation pledge is really nothing wrong. Just to remind ourselves to be good citizens. And btw, I haven't know of christian flag ?

My country like all gifts from God should be cared for like a good steward would.

What the founding Fathers of this nation planned and the abomination it has been twisted into are two completely different things.

First - God wishes to be a part of every aspect of our lives - that is why Jesus Christ came to make the way for that possible.

Second the founding fathers intended to keep government out of religion and not our faith out of government. There is no real hope for this nation without His blessing.
Below are 3 quotes from George Washington himself:

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors."

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.

What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”

Brother Bo, so good to see you again!!!!!

Blessings, Cheri

I guess I just don't understand.

I give allegiance to God first, but I also give allegiance to my family & friends. I do not divide my allegiance between God & my loved ones, I just strive to make sure God comes first. We are to love God with all of our heart but I love my family, friends, strangers & even my enemies too. Does this mean I do not love God with all my heart because I also love my family, friends, strangers & even my enemies? Of course not. I can love others with the same “parts” of my heart that I love God with.

Mark 12:29-34 (NKJV)
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 So the scribe said to Him, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He. 33 And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 Now when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” But after that no one dared question Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back