Questions About Boaz's Family

I'm studying Ruth and wondered about a few questions I had. What are your thoughts, friends?

#1: Boaz redeemed Ruth, and they had one son. Whose name does Obed carry on?
#2: In cases like these, what happens to Boaz's inheritance since he only had one son?
#3: What do redeemers get for buying back relative's land? Why don't they just buy it outright instead of waiting to buy it back?
(These I think I know the answer, but would like to hear yours.)

I'm studying Ruth and wondered about a few questions I had. What are your thoughts, friends?

#2: In cases like these, what happens to Boaz's inheritance since he only had one son?
#3: What do redeemers get for buying back relative's land? Why don't they just buy it outright instead of waiting to buy it back?
(These I think I know the answer, but would like to hear yours.)

Redeemed = acquire the inheritance of a deceased relative (land, free-women and slaves) with the closest relative having priority ..
thus as it applies to Ruth, she belonged to Boaz as his wife ..
see Rth 4:10 ..
SO RUTH WAS BOAZ'S LEGAL WIFE ..
the thing was, he could not just marry her even though single, because she was a part of the deceased household legally ..

Salmon & Rahab had Boaz (siblings un-named) ..
Boaz & Ruth (a moabite) had Obed (siblings un-named) ..
Obed & un-named wife had Jesse (siblings un-named) ..
Jesse & un-named wife(s) had David, Abigail, Eliab, Abinadab, Nethanel, Ozem, Raddai, Zeruiah & Shimea (who was the father of Johnathon) ..

Naomai's husband (Elimelech) died ..
her two sons (Mahlon and Chilion) married (Mahlon to Ruth) ..
both Naomai's sons also died ..
leaving Ruth a widow along with Naomai (mother in-law) and Orpah (sister in-law) ..

Boaz was either a brother or cousin (Rth 2:20) of Naomai's deceased husband Elimelech ..

Rth 3:4 “It shall be when he lies down, that you shall notice the place where he lies, and you shall go and uncover his feet and lie down; then he will tell you what you shall do.”
Rth 3:8 It happened in the middle of the night that the man was startled and bent forward; and behold, a woman was lying at his feet.
Rth 3:10 Then he said, “May you be blessed of the LORD, my daughter. You have shown your last kindness to be better than the first by not going after young men, whether poor or rich.

which seems to be the way a woman would sleep with by the man she close to be her husband, and implies it was him, an older man whom she had chose ..

so he then says there is a relative closer then me (whom would have rights to marry her first) so it seems he was a cousin to Naomai's husband, but there was still a brother to Naomai's husband ..

Rth 3:12 “Now it is true I am a close relative; however, there is a relative closer than I.
Rth 3:13 “Remain this night, and when morning comes, if he will redeem you, good; let him redeem you. But if he does not wish to redeem you, then I will redeem you, as the LORD lives. Lie down until morning.”

Boaz wanted Ruth for his wife, so he went to find the closer relative who had rights to marry her before him, and 10 witnesses for the purchase of the land, to which the woman and the land seemed to come together as some kind of dowry (which must have been the custom) .. so he is saying, buy the land an d get her, or I will ..

Rth 4:4 “So I thought to inform you, saying, ‘Buy it before those who are sitting here, and before the elders of my people. If you will redeem it, redeem it; but if not, tell me that I may know; for there is no one but you to redeem it, and I am after you.’” And he said, “I will redeem it.
Rth 4:5 Then Boaz said, “On the day you buy the field from the hand of Naomi, you must also acquire Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of the deceased, in order to raise up the name of the deceased on his inheritance.”

note: it was Hebrew custom that a deceased brother's wife is his if he wants her .. back at this point all women connected to the brothers household that are free-women this rule seems to apply to ..

Rth 4:6 The closest relative said, “I cannot redeem it for myself, because I would fnjeopardize my own inheritance. Redeem it for yourself; you may have my right of redemption, for I cannot redeem it.

so he gave the "right-of-way" to Boaz .. to redeem the inheritance (land and Ruth) ..

Rth 4:9 Then Boaz said to the elders and all the people, “You are witnesses today that I have bought from the hand of Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech and all that belonged to Chilion and Mahlon.

which meant Orpah (Chilion's widow) also belonged to Boaz household ..

Rth 4:10 “Moreover, I have acquired Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of Mahlon, to be my wife in order to raise up the name of the deceased on his inheritance, so that the name of the deceased will not be cut off from his brothers or from the court of his birth place; you are witnesses today.”

#2: In cases like these, what happens to Boaz's inheritance since he only had one son

the last post answered #3 .. Ruth was Boaz legal wife ..

#1 - they didn't have last names ..
they used the father's first name basically as a last name ..
hence he would be known as "Owbed ben Bo`az ..
in the case of a girl, "ben" (son of) would be substituted with "bat" (daughter of) ..

#2 - Obed would be the heir of all Boaz owned ..

as in the case of Abraham .. Isaac was the legal heir because He was the eldest son of a legitimate wife .. as recorded, his other sons by his other wife also received something, but the "household and all that goes with it" passes on the the eldest legitimate son ..

did that answer it ???

Jamn .. ask whatever you want .. biblical history is my favorite of all histories ..
ancient customs are strange .. as they considered it a brothers "duty" (not mandatory) to assume a deceased brother's wife .. however he did at least have to provide care for her within his household ..

how is the weather in Thailand ??? .. we have snow where I am ..

1 It possible that Obed's name did not come from any family member but could had a special meaning in the name to tell the story of how his parents came together or had something to do with what God did for them.

2 Boaz's inheritance would all go to Obed, we do not know for sure that that they did not have any other sons though, in that were the case then the others sons would be given a small portion with Obed gain the most because he was the heir.

3 It was not theirs to buy right out which is why Boaz met with the town to buy he right of the next of kin of Ruth's first husband. This next of kin would have to marry Ruth to abtain this land, but sells this right to Boaz.

1 It possible that Obed's name did not come from any family member but could had a special meaning in the name to tell the story of how his parents came together or had something to do with what God did for them.

why wouldn't Boaz have named him ..
as far as I am aware, when God names/renames someone, we are told ..

God named ..
Adam, Jesus ..

God re-named ..
Abram to Abraham, Isaac to Israel .. etc ..

Hebrews always named their children to mean something ..

2 Boaz's inheritance would all go to Obed, we do not know for sure that that they did not have any other sons though, in that were the case then the others sons would be given a small portion with Obed gain the most because he was the heir.

exactly ..

3 It was not theirs to buy right out which is why Boaz met with the town to buy he right of the next of kin of Ruth's first husband. This next of kin would have to marry Ruth to abtain this land, but sells this right to Boaz.

exactly .. however he did not sell the right, but took a pass on it ..

Back