Reading the Bible.

I never really could read the bible that much, until recently. I use to have only the KJV and it was very hard to understand. But now I got a parallel study bible, so I go through the NKJV NCV and the Message Version. I find this is a great way to understand scripture. Secondly, I would take a highlighter, and pencil and (i don't know if you guys look down upon writing in the bible) go through each verse at a time, if anything sticks out I highlight it, and then you can also try to summerize what God is saying, and then what he is trying to teach.

I think thats a pretty sound way of interpreting scripture. I also like to use the Blue Letter Bible

It gives you commentary on the books and alot of other cool features.

Goodluck, I'm sure you will do fine.

-DA

my message is this people can and will sway you to what a verse means,you can be brainwashed with others explanations.there was a preacher in usa who killed all his followers because they believed his explanations.so i stress read yourself then learn.:)

Hi Smellycat! :)

After reading your message I understand what you are saying. I will be very careful with what I read and that is the beauty of this website. I am able to ask all you guys for assistance! :D

I never really could read the bible that much, until recently. I use to have only the KJV and it was very hard to understand. But now I got a parallel study bible, so I go through the NKJV NCV and the Message Version. I find this is a great way to understand scripture. Secondly, I would take a highlighter, and pencil and (i don't know if you guys look down upon writing in the bible) go through each verse at a time, if anything sticks out I highlight it, and then you can also try to summerize what God is saying, and then what he is trying to teach.

I think thats a pretty sound way of interpreting scripture. I also like to use the Blue Letter Bible

It gives you commentary on the books and alot of other cool features.

Goodluck, I'm sure you will do fine.

-DA

Oh, yes, I think marking up your Bible is an excellent idea. When you go back into what you had read in the past, you can sorta know what book is your most favorite by all the highlights. hehe

I even have question marks by some of it, and then later, I write the answer I got from someone somewhere in the margin. It's interesting.

Also, I have written all over the front blank pages, little notes with the scriptural reference of where something is found. Like, once I came across a verse that I think says where animals go when they die. It was very clear to me and so I wrote down where I saw it in front, so if it comes up again, I will know where I found it. It works great for me, and maybe sometime, I'll be telling others where to find such and such, like all those other more mature Christians! hehe

I wish I had your patience Bonnie :)
I am so lazy and organized and like things clean that I don't want to write inside my Bibles lol. :(
and so lazy to get up and get a pencil or pen to write with lol :(

I wish I had your patience Bonnie :)
I am so lazy and organized and like things clean that I don't want to write in side my Bibles lol. :(
and so lazy to get up and get a pencil or pen to write with lol :(

Ooooo, then get yourself one of those Bible carriers, where you can keep a pen and a notepad. You can write neatly, can't ya, Rams? I'll pray for your cleaniness, bro.! :eek: hehe

haha there are more important things that we should be praying about :D
but I never knew that there are bible carriers with a pen and a notepad hmm interesting :)

my message is this people can and will sway you to what a verse means,you can be brainwashed with others explanations.there was a preacher in usa who killed all his followers because they believed his explanations.so i stress read yourself then learn.:)

Hey , Michael .... People cannot sway you if you are grounded in God's Word and you know exactly what it says and you prove it for yourself . The Holy Spirit is our guide and He directs and tells us .

We need to be discerning and test the spirits. Know that He is God and Lord of our lives .

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not upon your own understanding.

Dusty lol.. mikey is trying to tell us all that we should be careful, simply a warning and he's right.
plus he's talking to new Bible readers so it's always good to tell them not to trust in man.

and it may be possible even for the elect to be swayed and deceived.

Oh, yes, I think marking up your Bible is an excellent idea. When you go back into what you had read in the past, you can sorta know what book is your most favorite by all the highlights. hehe

I even have question marks by some of it, and then later, I write the answer I got from someone somewhere in the margin. It's interesting.

Also, I have written all over the front blank pages, little notes with the scriptural reference of where something is found. Like, once I came across a verse that I think says where animals go when they die. It was very clear to me and so I wrote down where I saw it in front, so if it comes up again, I will know where I found it. It works great for me, and maybe sometime, I'll be telling others where to find such and such, like all those other more mature Christians! hehe

Yes , Bonnie that is an excellant way to study and read . My Bible is marked and highlighted and when I go back I can see where the Lord has lead me and is leading me . The special verses that He gives each one are just for me personally and may not be the same ones as you reiceve.

I have an NIV Bible that is literally falling apart but is so marked up that I do not want to replace it . God is good and has given all of us just what we need every day and I find it so precious.

I still carry that falling apart Bible to church and don't care what people say . That Bible is special to me.

Dusty lol.. mikey is trying to tell us all that we should be careful, simply a warning and he's right.
plus he's talking to new Bible readers so it's always good to tell them not to trust in man.

and it may be possible even for the elect to be swayed and deceived.

Thanks Rams .... I know what he is saying and it is a good warning but I just wanted to expound on it some more ...

Blessings to you Rams... You are so sweet.:heart::heart:

<H3>Galatians 5:19-21 (New American Standard Bible)

19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: (A)immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20idolatry, (B)sorcery, enmities, (C)strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, (D)disputes, dissensions, (E)factions, 21envying, (F)drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not (G)inherit the kingdom of God.

</H3>

Galatians 5:19-21 (The Message)

19-21It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; trinket gods; magic-show religion; paranoid loneliness; cutthroat competition; all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants; a brutal temper; an impotence to love or be loved; divided homes and divided lives; small-minded and lopsided pursuits; the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival; uncontrolled and uncontrollable addictions; ugly parodies of community. I could go on. This isn't the first time I have warned you, you know. If you use your freedom this way, you will not inherit God's kingdom.

Who are they trying to make Paul sound like? Where is the straight-foreward clarity, backbone, earnestness, and authority?

Colossians 2:10: "...and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority."

The Message: "You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him..."

What?!

I really dislike the message. I only use it when I absolutely do not understand a verse.
then I get mad reading it because of how much they have changed the true meaning or simply the wording of the verse.
my g-d hating teacher used it in class with the book of Job to show how evil g-d is. got me extremely angry. I read the NKJV instead.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders [sodomites] nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified..."

The Message: "Unjust people who don't care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it don't qualify as citizens in God's kingdom. A number of you know from experience what I'm talking about, for not so long ago you were on that list. Since then, you've been cleaned up and given a fresh start...."

http://www.crossroad.to/Bible_studies/Message.html

Sometimes I find it hard to read for long periods of time. I really struggle at reading books. I want to read His Word more often, but I don't cause of my difficulty with books. It's not that I can't read, but I gotta re-read whatever I just read to really understand it. Its odd. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you handle it and still read the Bible?

You don't have to read for long periods of time. How about several 10-15 minutes of reading throughout the day? Or one chapter at a time.

Another thing I did when I was a younger Christian was that I read book that were basically paraphrased stories of the OT. Then when I went back into the OT to read the actual Word, I understand better what was going on.

OH Goodness!

Sorry to hear bout that, cause it is reaaaallly hard to concentrate with that one!
I understand what you mean about the re-reading, sometimes it turns into re-re-reading, and your eyes just want to stop!.. But, it always helps me when I get to another part that just doesn't seem as demanding for my head, not to say it like that but, I guess, I like to start off with a simple, and clear scripter and then I can move into the more elaborate scriptors easier.. of course, explaing things can be about as bad on me as the re-reading thing:)..
Hope it helped anyway, and may God bless you with it!

Back