Rebuking Satan?

That's all fine and dandy, but you might want to check on your personal holiness before facing down the Devil.
Try handling an actual scorpion and see how that works out for you. If that goes well then you may be ready to back talk Satan.
I find that with most folks, their perceived virtue far outshines their actual virtue.

Appalachian Church graveyards are chock full of dead holiness preachers who handled serpents and forgot to stock antivenin.

I am not a holiness preacher I am The Righeousness of God In Christ Jesus.
He has given me the power and authority over the devil
Resist the devil and he will flee
Cast the devil out as the liar and fahter of lies
strife,anger, frustration and so on are emities of the evilness of the defeated foe.
Where there is strife there also is all sorts of evil
I know who I am in Christ Jeus. Therefore I shall believe the truth of the written word of God.

Yes, you are correct. As it is extremely likely that the vast majority of the people who will read these posts will also be completely blind to the will of God, and thus should not be attempting to rebuke Satan, but should avoid him at all costs.

Avoid him? So what you see him coming down the side walk and you run across the street ?

Avoid him? So what you see him coming down the side walk and you run across the street ?
When my wife and daughter are doing their nightly walks, there's this guy who used to babble at them and spit behind their backs so my wife and daughter started speaking in tongues to him (why not? We don't know French or Dutch and he knows no English) and now when he sees them, he freezes and runs crossing the street! :D

When my wife and daughter are doing their nightly walks, there's this guy who used to babble at them and spit behind their backs so my wife and daughter started speaking in tongues to him (why not? We don't know French or Dutch and he knows no English) and now when he sees them, he freezes and runs crossing the street! :D

Praise God......you and God just reminded me of a time I was staying with a friend on campus at WMU and these middle eastern guys and girls would follow my friend around and claim she was the spon of the devil and so forth. I had been praying and the next time I was there and took a walk with her, well here they come.

I walked right up to them and stared right into their eyes and began speaking in togues looudly and .......LOL....after that no one peaked into her windows or went into her house when she was gone. They stayed clear of her and when they saw me, they ran to get away..... It is all GOD !!

If you are out and about as a normal person, and you see someone armed to the teeth coming down the street, you do your best to avoid them. Open confrontation with someone who has you vastly outgunned is not going to turn out well for you.
As I said in the previous post, if you think you are "all that", try playing with scorpons. If that goes well then you may be ready to face demons. The southern graveyards are chock full of holiness preachers who thought they could "handle serpents".

If you are out and about as a normal person, and you see someone armed to the teeth coming down the street, you do your best to avoid them. Open confrontation with someone who has you vastly outgunned is not going to turn out well for you.
As I said in the previous post, if you think you are "all that", try playing with scorpons. If that goes well then you may be ready to face demons. The southern graveyards are chock full of holiness preachers who thought they could "handle serpents".

See that is just it brother. The only way the devil has a Christian out gunned is if that Christian is not walking such as they should and is not full of the word and has not built up their spirit man and so forth or WALKS AROUND IN FEAR OF THE BOOGIE MAN....

If you see the devil coming at you then turn him around packing and continue on your way.
You act as if myself or any one who knows their authority in Christ is walking in their own strength and that is non sense...Christ Jesus has defeated the world and the devil for us. The victory is already won. We as Christians have to fight the good fight of Faith and take our victory.

Look at it this way. God has seen to it that you have all you need to walk from victory to victory. He has given you His name, sealed it with His blood and put His royal Ring on your finger. This means you are His. He has given you His word which is all powerful for any battle. He is NOT going to go around and do the things He has equiped us to do. It simply does not work like this. Brother do not ever agree with the devil or avoid kicking him out of your life or affairs.

Someone who does not know or understand the "authority" Jesus gave to the Church, it is highly inadvisable to deal with evil spirits or the devil on any level.
Fear can easily be detected by these spirits, which is how they are able to operate against people. The Book of Acts describes a group of people trying to do just that.

Act 19:13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
Act 19:14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
Act 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
Act 19:16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

The spirit of fear will prevent some from even trying to come against that which is evil, therefore keeping them in bondage.

See that is just it brother. The only way the devil has a Christian out gunned is if that Christian is not walking such as they should and is not full of the word and has not built up their spirit man and so forth or WALKS AROUND IN FEAR OF THE BOOGIE MAN....

If you see the devil coming at you then turn him around packing and continue on your way.
You act as if myself or any one who knows their authority in Christ is walking in their own strength and that is non sense...Christ Jesus has defeated the world and the devil for us. The victory is already won. We as Christians have to fight the good fight of Faith and take our victory.

Look at it this way. God has seen to it that you have all you need to walk from victory to victory. He has given you His name, sealed it with His blood and put His royal Ring on your finger. This means you are His. He has given you His word which is all powerful for any battle. He is NOT going to go around and do the things He has equiped us to do. It simply does not work like this. Brother do not ever agree with the devil or avoid kicking him out of your life or affairs.
It is so sad that so many who have never had to actually face danger talk about it with such nonchalance.
And that is what it is, all talk.

It is so sad that so many who have never had to actually face danger talk about it with such nonchalance.

Smith Wigglesworth, when confronted with the literal presence of Satan one night in bed, merely said, "Oh, it's only you", and rolled over and went to sleep. That, friend, is holy a nonchalance---no fear---born into a man who knew who he was in Christ. It is available to us all, praise God!

I have found that those who talk about how they can handle the devil have never actually faced him.
Demons are dangerous, and only a fool thinks otherwise.

I have dealt with demons many times in my life. Believe me, they are more afraid of the Jesus in us than anything else. They just want you to think they are more than they really are.

What danger is it that you are refering to ? Nonchalance ? Actually it is Christ in me that enables me to be this way. It is Christ who purchased this for me and it is Christ who already won the battle and has given me the victory. I just have to fight the good fight of faith.
You can not do this if you walk in fear or lack of revelation of who you are in Christ.

I used to walk through life in defeat and lack and allowing the devil to destroy life around me. I then woke up and searched for the answers through Gods written word. You know what our Loving Father showed me ?

God showed me that it has NOT ever been Him nor will it ever be Him that causes all the set backs and falls and defeat and sickness and lack and battles in the mind and loss of jobs and not seeing answers to prayers. He showed me how it is and always will be the work of the devil. See God does not send sickness and problems to teach you or humble you etc. People bring it on them selves and allow the enemy the devil to get in there and cause these things.

God has given every born again believer the ability and power in Christ to rebuke, cast out and send packing any demon or devil. However if you do not ever learn this and grasp your authority in Christ, you will not be able to stand against any attacks against you or your family and this includes strifer, anger, confussion and so forth......

Someone who does not know or understand the "authority" Jesus gave to the Church, it is highly inadvisable to deal with evil spirits or the devil on any level.
Fear can easily be detected by these spirits, which is how they are able to operate against people. The Book of Acts describes a group of people trying to do just that.

Act 19:13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
Act 19:14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
Act 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
Act 19:16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

The spirit of fear will prevent some from even trying to come against that which is evil, therefore keeping them in bondage.

Using these vagabond non believing Jews as examples to warn the saints is hardly relevant or appropriate. The demons had power over them because they did not have the spirit of Christ living in them. We have authority over demons because we are raised up Christ, and are seated in the heavenly realm, and have the Spirit of Christ Jesus within us.
We should be encouraging the saints rather than discouraging them.

Casting out demons is a command we have been given from the Lord, so when will the church obey when there is so much need?

Circle back around to Jude 1:9
What's the deal with that you say?
Well... Remember that Satan is the "Accuser of the Brethren" - and he does have access to Heaven... He stands day and night before the throne of God accusing us..... Wouldn't he love some juicy "Claim of False Accusation against YOU"

Realize that YOU do not have the power to Rebuke Satan on your own.... You must ask the Lord to do it for you....

Personally - I go with Prayer and fasting.. but that's just me....
Matt 17:14 - 21

Thanks

John, you are right about the accuser of the brethren.
In fact the verses in Revelation12 describe a court of law, where we are the accused, Satan is the accuser/prosecutor, and God is the Supreme court Judge.
Revelation12v10Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night. 11"And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.

This is me, you, and every believer world wide. Satan is always accusing us before God and demands the right to take you into complete bondage and make your life a hellish mess. He is the master tormentor.
(To get a glimpse of this state of affairs, read the book of Job.)

As judge, God has no choice but to follow the legal procedure that he himself has established. If we the accused don't have the right response to the accusations, it means that the God cannot declare you a free man, but will be forced to hand you over to your accuser.

Before anyone gets their pants in a twist, this has nothing to do with your eternal state, but everything to do with your spiritual freedom, and your life whilst on earth.

Christians naively live in complete denial about the reality of demonic power, believing that just because they are Christians, Satan cannot touch them, and they can ignore him. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Certainly Jesus destroyed the power of Satan when he died on the cross, but it is our own personal responsibility to live within the free gift of that truth.
There are plenty of references to Satanic activity in the letters of Paul, even warnings that Satan can appear as an angel of light.
If, as Christians think, Satan was rendered ineffective and has no influence in the lives of a believer, why such warnings?

Back to the courtroom scene. What is our response when faced with the accuser of the brethren.
"It wasn't me."
"He started it."
"I didn't mean it."
" I have attended church all my life, and have always obeyed the law."
"I'm a good christian, I always give to the poor and have clean thoughts."
Whatever your claims to personal righteousness, they are completely in vain.
Worse still, in this court, there is no "Right to remain silent". In fact, if anyone tries that, he will guarantee that the prosecution wins the case against him, and he will be handed over to bondage and torment.
For you Americans, in heaven, there is absolutely no 5th amendment!

There is only one single way we can overcome the accuser of the brethren, and that is the bit JohnC failed to mention in his use of Revelation12.-
v10Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God and the authority of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, he who accuses them before our God day and night. 11"And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.

Did you get that?

"And they overcame him by the blood of the lamb.......

This has to be the most significant phrase in Revelation12....followed by-
........and the word of their testimony!"

The last bit of the verse simply refers to the fact that they must testify to that blood before the court of heaven, otherwise that blood cannot be taken into account!
If you fail to take hold of the blood, then you are on your own in the court, left with nothing but your attempts at self justification. ie. filthy rags.

When I am accused by Satan or a demon, I most certainly will respond with a rebuke. I know who I am in Christ and have no fear of the accuser's status when I am a blood bought redeemed believer with no personal righteousness, other than that of Christ himself and his blood.

Last edited:
Careful how you rebuke them. Book of Jude says this:
But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.

Careful how you rebuke them. Book of Jude says this:
But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.
I think you are the one without understanding, trying to scare believers away from the clear commandments of Jesus. It is not slander to resist and rebuke Satan, that is what we are instructed to do.
I have read all the references about Jude in several of the previous comments, and completely disagree with their/your conclusion.

You obviously don't realise that you have been raised up and seated with Christ in the Heavenly realm. It is from that position, above Satan, that we can challenge, resist, and oppose him. All the demonic powers are under our feet, therefore only a fool lets himself remain subject to them.

Regarding Jude, the elect angels are of a different order to redeemed mankind, that's why their approach is different to ours when it comes to dealing with Satan.

Of course, few believers will ever directly encounter Satan himself. Satan is obviously not omnipresent like God is, but relies on his evil minions to maintain the attacks on every christian, using whatever tactics they can.

Casting demons out is the responsibility of the saints and a major part of the Gospel, so I am amazed at the lack of attention in the church to this normal christian ministry.

I think you are the one without understanding, trying to scare believers away from the clear commandments of Jesus.
That's a big assumption there.. I simply quoted a scripture, and somehow you took it as I was trying to scare believers..

I have read all the references about Jude in several of the previous comments, and completely disagree with their/your conclusion.
What conclusion did I give that you completely disagree with? The only thing I said in my post was to be careful, the rest was scripture. Are you saying that Christians should not be careful?

Back