Recipe for Dis...covery?

So,
Dreams are just brain clutter and misleading,
Visions are outdated,
Prophecy is only Biblical teaching,
That Magic 8-Ball seems to be inaccurate sometimes,
and Horoscopes are Satanic!

How in the world am I supposed to know God's will for my life? If the lady at church tells me her prophecy for my life and it doesn't pan out what's a believer to do?

God meets us half-way and we, usually, at least have to take a first step toward His guidance before He will take over and operate the helm. How are we supposed to know which direction to step though? What if I feel as though He has directed me one way and I mess up His plan?

Let's find out...

So,

Are they? I don't believe this to be true, but I don't have any support for my belief.

Visions are outdated,

I don't know of anyone that Has visions and I most certainly have had none. Does this mean they are outdated, no. So are they outdated, I believe that God can speak through visions if God so chooses. Will he today or in the future? Today, I think not. In the future I believe that he will.

Will God use future prophets again I believe that he will, not to add to God's word but to clarify or amplify God's word in the future as we his believers may need in the troubles that lie ahead.

How in the world am I supposed to know God's will for my life? If the lady at church tells me her prophecy for my life and it doesn't pan out what's a believer to do?

God meets us half-way and we, usually, at least have to take a first step toward His guidance before He will take over and operate the helm. How are we supposed to know which direction to step though? What if I feel as though He has directed me one way and I mess up His plan?

Let's find out...

God reveals his will through his word. We can know God's will in our lives. It is a great bible study.

cp

Are they? I don't believe this to be true, but I don't have any support for my belief.

I don't know of anyone that Has visions and I most certainly have had none. Does this mean they are outdated, no. So are they outdated, I believe that God can speak through visions if God so chooses. Will he today or in the future? Today, I think not. In the future I believe that he will.

Will God use future prophets again I believe that he will, not to add to God's word but to clarify or amplify God's word in the future as we his believers may need in the troubles that lie ahead.

God reveals his will through his word. We can know God's will in our lives. It is a great bible study.

cp

Hello Chuck;

From my personal study of the Bible, dreams are when we are asleep and visions are when we're awake. Yes, they are both Biblical in that God can and does speak to us through assigned dreams and visions.

Prophecy was used extensively in the Old and New Testaments. God is not limited in how He uses His messengers.

He can still use future prophets today. If so, should this be a threat?

Joel 2:28, 28 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.

Joel's Prophecy occurred at Pentecost, Acts 2:16-21.

Acts 23:11, 11 The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”

Whether Jesus gave Paul a vision in a dream at night, God actively speaks to us through visions and dreams and these can have Scriptural meaning.

God encourages us all to remain steadfast with Jesus daily in prayer and the Word. This also serves as His protection, called discernment, so we don't have to worry about Magic 8-Balls, horoscopes and divinations.

Other's thoughts?

God bless you, Chuck and your family.

I think we stress out too much about God's will in the sense of his providing a detailed roadmap for our lives and screwing up because we think we took the wrong road, or being frozen in place because we don't know which way to go. We have the Scriptures and we have the Holy Spirit to provide us with the guidance we need to make decisions. In the light of the Word we can evaluate the choices and opportunities before us and make decisions that please God. By seeking to obey and serve God in all of our daily activities, we can know we are in His will. If he has a particular assignment for us, we can trust that He will make His will known by any of many means. Either the cliche' opening and closing of doors, the placement of a "burden" on one's heart, the otherwise inexplicable opportunity, or quite possibly a vision, dream, or prophetic word.

Otherwise, in our daily life and in the absence of a particularly compelling revelation, we can know we are in God's will simply by living our lives according to what we know the Scriptures tell us to do. Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, taking care of our families, striving to be kind, generous, merciful, comforting, and cheerful are all things we can do in confidence that we are doing God's will.

I think we stress out too much about God's will in the sense of his providing a detailed roadmap for our lives and screwing up because we think we took the wrong road, or being frozen in place because we don't know which way to go.
Otherwise, in our daily life and in the absence of a particularly compelling revelation, we can know we are in God's will simply by living our lives according to what we know the Scriptures tell us to do. Clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, taking care of our families, striving to be kind, generous, merciful, comforting, and cheerful are all things we can do in confidence that we are doing God's will.

Well said, Rumely;

Living our lives according to what we know the Scriptures tell us to do actually gives us peace and calm, minimizing stress and anxiousness.

Thank you, brother. God bless you and your family.

I am just going to comment on dreams for this post as addressing every method would be too long of a post. Dreams in the NT were only given to three groups or individuals and all of them were directly related to Jesus and had to do with the actions God wanted that specific group or individual to perform. Joseph was told to accept Mary as she was pure, Joseph was told to flee with Jesus and Mary in a dream, the Wise Men were given a dream, and Pilate's wife was given a dream. Outside of this there are no other examples of dreams being given and especially none to be used as foretelling for anyone other than the group or individual to which is was being given.

Ecclesiastes (Solomon) says that by hard work we have dreams ("For the dream comes through much effort, and the voice of a fool through many words." Ecc. 5:3, [NASB]) and "For in many dreams and in many words there is futility. Rather, fear God." Ecc. 5:3, (NASB). Even Solomon in the Old Testament advised to not be too concerned with dreams. What do you think?

I think we stress out too much about God's will in the sense of his providing a detailed roadmap for our lives and screwing up because we think we took the wrong road, or being frozen in place because we don't know which way to go. We have the Scriptures and we have the Holy Spirit to provide us with the guidance we need to make decisions. In the light of the Word we can evaluate the choices and opportunities before us and make decisions that please God. By seeking to obey and serve God in all of our daily activities, we can know we are in His will. If he has a particular assignment for us, we can trust that He will make His will known by any of many means. Either the cliche' opening and closing of doors, the placement of a "burden" on one's heart, the otherwise inexplicable opportunity, or quite possibly a vision, dream, or prophetic word.

Thank you for this!

Rumely pretty much gave the spoiler here but for the sake of completeness:

Visions are a different matter entirely and I cannot speak to what God may do with visions. For one, I am not the decider of what God may or may not do regardless of my assessment but I just can't come to a conclusive decision as to what may or may not be when it comes to visions. Regardless, Jesus wants a personal relationship with us and He works directly with us so if you get a dream, or a vision, or a prophetic word it is for you and/or your family alone. Those who testified that God had given them a vision when He did not were put to death in the OT.

Prophecy has gotten a bad rap in the Christian circle because of it's lose association to revealing something that no one else knows and is usually one person who has a secret revelation of what God is going to do. Revelation 19:10 (NASB) says, "Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he *said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brothers and sisters who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

From this we can be sure that prophecy is not foretelling but simply echoing what Jesus said is true. If anyone thinks that they are an OT-type of a prophet who gets a word from God to tell everyone than they are not on the right track. Think of all the Christians who "prophesied" that a certain man would be the US president again. Woops!

Well said, Rumely;

Living our lives according to what we know the Scriptures tell us to do actually gives us peace and calm, minimizing stress and anxiousness.

Thank you, brother. God bless you and your family.

This is how God expresses his will in scripture. There is no detailed list, but God does reveals in general his will for us.

cp

I am just going to comment on dreams for this post as addressing every method would be too long of a post. Dreams in the NT were only given to three groups or individuals and all of them were directly related to Jesus and had to do with the actions God wanted that specific group or individual to perform. Joseph was told to accept Mary as she was pure, Joseph was told to flee with Jesus and Mary in a dream, the Wise Men were given a dream, and Pilate's wife was given a dream. Outside of this there are no other examples of dreams being given and especially none to be used as foretelling for anyone other than the group or individual to which is was being given.

Rumely pretty much gave the spoiler here but for the sake of completeness: Visions are a different matter entirely and I cannot speak to what God may do with visions. For one, I am not the decider of what God may or may not do regardless of my assessment but I just can't come to a conclusive decision as to what may or may not be when it comes to visions. Regardless, Jesus wants a personal relationship with us and He works directly with us so if you get a dream, or a vision, or a prophetic word it is for you and/or your family alone. Those who testified that God had given them a vision when He did not were put to death in the OT.

Hello Sam;

You are correct with the 3 dreams you posted. I personally agree with you, that dreams and visions are not our will, brother, but God's Will to communicate warnings, direction, prophetic and revealing divine revelations, all part of His Wonderful Plan - reference Genesis 1:1.

When we follow Jesus we are in the light, so God makes it clear the dreams and visions. It has always been for one, or one's family, Joseph, Mary, Jesus, Paul, Cornelius, Peter, John and for all of us.

Let's explore more of the dreams and visions in the New Testaments, for example the warnings, direction and revelations in the Books of Matthew, Acts, Hebrews and Peter's dream and vision in Acts 10:1-48.

God bless us all in our fellowship.

I have really funky dreams.
Most of them make no sense.
One or two did come true, and
Some of them made me think...of where I am at in my Christian walk...

I mean, just last night I was wandering in a desert...
And got saved by a wealthy Arabs wife😂

the symbolism in that dream was kinda too obvious to me, the subconscious is very creative and I love how it tells me where I am at in life.
Some are too easy for me to interpret, those are the ones that stand out and I take notice of.
The rest of my dreams (98%) of them are definitely brain parts( excuse the language😊

edit; I have been watching Satan lately, I’ve made him my best friend. Know thy foe has paid off.

Last edited:
So,
Visions are outdated,

Let's find out...

What do you mean ....the Magic 8 Ball is inaccurate.? Mine has never lead me the wrong way.

So,
Visions are outdated,

Let's find out...

Your dreams are YOUR dreams. It usually means that you have forgotten to take your medication or you have taken it twice.

It can also mean that you saw a really intense movie and your brain has not turned off.

"Dreams" are NOT God trying to communicate to you. Sometimes false prophets will speak about dreams that did not take place to sway God’s people. Christians have to be careful whenever anyone speaks about a dream and should test everything said about that dream against Scripture.

As for "visions" which I would say are Dreams while you are awake... it should not be a surprise that If God desires to communicate His message to a person, He can use whatever means He finds necessary—a missionary, an angel, a vision, or a dream. Of course, God also has the ability to give visions in areas where the gospel message is already readily available. There is no limit to what God can do.

However, we must be careful when it comes to visions and the interpretation of visions. We must keep in mind that the Bible is finished, and it tells us everything we need to know.

One of the best tricks that false teachers use and manipulate others are the words......"God Spoke to ME and Said, or, God just gave ME A Vision".

The key truth is that if God were to give a vision, it would agree completely with what He has already revealed in His Word. Visions should never be given equal or greater authority than the Word of God. God’s Word is our ultimate authority for Christian faith and practice.

Then as for prophesy........there is NO prophetic knowledge outside of the Word of God.

So, what do you do when the lady of the church tells you about a vision she had about you.........
Ask here the name of the Book, the Chapter and Verse number of where it is found in the Bible/.

Your dreams are YOUR dreams. It usually means that you have forgotten to take your medication or you have taken it twice.

It can also mean that you saw a really intense movie and your brain has not turned off.

"Dreams" are NOT God trying to communicate to you. Sometimes false prophets will speak about dreams that did not take place to sway God’s people. Christians have to be careful whenever anyone speaks about a dream and should test everything said about that dream against Scripture.

As for "visions" which I would say are Dreams while you are awake... it should not be a surprise that If God desires to communicate His message to a person, He can use whatever means He finds necessary—a missionary, an angel, a vision, or a dream. Of course, God also has the ability to give visions in areas where the gospel message is already readily available. There is no limit to what God can do.

However, we must be careful when it comes to visions and the interpretation of visions. We must keep in mind that the Bible is finished, and it tells us everything we need to know.

One of the best tricks that false teachers use and manipulate others are the words......"God Spoke to ME and Said, or, God just gave ME A Vision".

The key truth is that if God were to give a vision, it would agree completely with what He has already revealed in His Word. Visions should never be given equal or greater authority than the Word of God. God’s Word is our ultimate authority for Christian faith and practice.

Then as for prophesy........there is NO prophetic knowledge outside of the Word of God.

So, what do you do when the lady of the church tells you about a vision she had about you.........
Ask here the name of the Book, the Chapter and Verse number of where it is found in the Bible/.
Oh my goodness, you nailed it.

Back