Recognize OUr Poverty

Dusty

Inactive
Recognize OUr Poverty

Matthew 5 : 1-3…… Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus started the sermon about the Beatitudes with “ Blessed “ - The Greek word for” blessed” is” markarios “ , which means to be happy .

But that is not the kind of happiness we think of such as a nice vacation , sitting on the beach , sipping on a cold drink ---- well you get the picture.

No , No . It is a deep down happiness that is the joy of the Lord and a spiritual happiness . A happiness that recognizes that we are “ poor in spirit”

In ourselves we cannot do anything and Jesus told us in John 15:5….. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Paul also recognized that without Jesus he was “spiritually poor “ because he said “ I know nothing good dwells in me “ Romans 7:18 .

Without Christ we are not capable of behaving as God designed us .

So in conclusion --- It is not humanly possible to do anything of value that lasts , unless we accept Christ as our all .

Yes we can repent all we want and it will last for a while . But bottom line , with Christ we can say “ I can’t , but You can “

When we recognize the first beatitude as having “ poverty of spirit “ then all the riches of heaven are available to us .

Matthew 5 : 1-3…… Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus started the sermon about the Beatitudes with “ Blessed “ - The Greek word for” blessed” is” markarios “ , which means to be happy .

But that is not the kind of happiness we think of such as a nice vacation , sitting on the beach , sipping on a cold drink ---- well you get the picture.

No , No . It is a deep down happiness that is the joy of the Lord and a spiritual happiness . A happiness that recognizes that we are “ poor in spirit”

In ourselves we cannot do anything and Jesus told us in John 15:5….. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Paul also recognized that without Jesus he was “spiritually poor “ because he said “ I know nothing good dwells in me “ Romans 7:18 .

Without Christ we are not capable of behaving as God designed us .

So in conclusion --- It is not humanly possible to do anything of value that lasts , unless we accept Christ as our all .

Yes we can repent all we want and it will last for a while . But bottom line , with Christ we can say “ I can’t , but You can “

When we recognize the first beatitude as having “ poverty of spirit “ then all the riches of heaven are available to us .

Very good Dusty. I agree. But this could also be applied to physical poverty.

In Luke, it doesn't say in spirit but just poor:

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

And the majority of the members of the 1st Century Church are poor:

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called
1 Cor 1:26

In fact God chose the materially poor to be rich in faith:

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
James 2:5

The poor have this special calling. And if you are one, consider yourself lucky:

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
That no flesh should glory in his presence

1 Cor 1:28-29

Very good Dusty. I agree. But this could also be applied to physical poverty.

In Luke, it doesn't say in spirit but just poor:

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

And the majority of the members of the 1st Century Church are poor:

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called
1 Cor 1:26

In fact God chose the materially poor to be rich in faith:

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
James 2:5

The poor have this special calling. And if you are one, consider yourself lucky:

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
That no flesh should glory in his presence
1 Cor 1:28-29

That is exactly right and it can be extended to the physically poor because where and who did Jesus spend most of His time . With the poor , sinners , tax collectors , and the physically afflicted by sickness . And also we need to look at how and where He was born . Who would have expected a King to be born in a stable ? Where did He sleep ? He had no where to call His home .

And Jesus said :
Matthew 19:24
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Many times also we see where people who are poor are used mightly by God because they can trust and believe His Miracles more.

And also we need to look at how and where He was born . Who would have expected a King to be born in a stable ? Where did He sleep ? He had no where to call His home .

Brilliant point Dusty. Imagine, The Son of God, The Son of One who created the universe, allowed Himself to stay there.

Brilliant point Dusty. Imagine, The Son of God, The Son of One who created the universe, allowed Himself to stay there.

Yes , John .... He did it all for you and me so that there would be not social distinction and to show His humility so we can pattern our lives after Him

Yes , John .... He did it all for you and me so that there would be not social distinction and to show His humility so we can pattern our lives after Him

That reminded me of this:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Phil 2

That reminded me of this:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Phil 2

Amen John .... thanks ... And we see His humility when He washed the disciples feet.

Back