Recommended Videos?

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
My wife and I like to sit down and watch a video or two a week.
Do you have any recommended videos? Please list them here.

Two readily come to mind.
1.'Amish Grace' based on a true story of the Amish schoolhouse shooting and the forgiveness (and struggle to forgive) afterward.

2. 'Do you believe?' This probably has some of the best acting for a Christian movie, riveting action (especially the car crash scene), and nicely portrays the intertwining of lives in a gripping way.

If we are keeping to a Christian view point then here are a few:

1) I Can Only Imagine
A loosely based true story which follows the story of lead singer Bart Millard and the group MercyMe. The movie is named after their hit song, which is one of the most successful Christian songs ever released. Dennis Quaid is one mean father but the end is one of redemption.

2) God’s Not Dead (1, 2, 3, & 4)
If you haven’t seen these they are worth a look. We personally prefer 1 & 3 the most. But I enjoyed them all to one extent or another as I found the characters generally engaging and all the movies are anchored by pastor Dave (David A. R. White) and an evolving cast of “B” list celebrity cast members.

3) An Interview With God (2018)
For something different there is this movie that is basically what the tittle suggests. We are not looking for scriptural accuracy here but an entertaining and fun concept. An up-and-coming journalist interviews a man who claims to be God.

4) Lillies of the Field
This is an oldie but goody. It tells the story of an itinerant worker who encounters a group of East German nuns, who believe he has been sent to them by God to build them a new chapel. Staring Sidney Poitier who won the Academy Award for best actor for his portrayal of Homer Smith, who the nuns believe is Heaven sent.

The Chosen
I deliberately decided to post this in a separate post because it seems to generate a lot of love, but some extreme dislike as well.

This series is based on the Gospels and augmented by various OT scripture and it is unique in the history of television.

It is an episodic TV series that primarily follows Jesus, his ministry, the calling of the apostles, along with side trips to the Old Testament for context.

It is a worldwide phenomenon. It is successful in an unprecedented way… and extremely controversial all at once. If you haven’t seen any episodes yet there has never been anything like it on television and thousands are testifying to having been called to Christ after watching the first 2 of a planned 7 seasons.

There are some legitimate grips about its biblical accuracy and compression of events but the series creator, Dallas Jenkins, advisees that fans of the series should not “substitute The Chosen for reading the Bible or attending their local church for worship services.”

In other words, it’s not a documentary but a television docudrama. Two completely different concepts.

If you haven’t seen it, then take a look and see what all the fuss is about.

Goggle “Chosen” to find out where and how to watch. It is available for free viewing through their app and the first season is available on several streaming services.

Hello crossnote et blueskies, I'm into Season 3 of The Chosen right now, and the more I watch it, the more I like it :) Granted, the first two episodes have caused many to stop watching it (as it is hard to wrap your mind around what's going on at first), but once you get a handle on those two, I've found that I cannot wait to see what's coming next :) The first two episodes remain my two favorites (I won't spoil them by telling you why, but I believe they are probably the two favorites of many believers out there, not just me).

The thing that I appreciate most is the evangelical nature of the series, along with the fact that what I remember most from each episode are the parts of those episodes that are taken directly from the Scriptures (I'm sure that is done intentionally).

So, I would say that they are definitely worth watching, and with half of a billion views and counting, it seems like something that we Christians should consider knowing something about.

God bless you both!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - Seasons 1 & 2 can be watched for free on Amazon Prime, but you'll need to download the Angel Studios or The Chosen app to watch Season 3 too (all for free there too). Season 4 is already partially finished.

My wife and I like to sit down and watch a video or two a week.
Do you have any recommended videos? Please list them here.
Along with The Chosen, you might consider these four movies.

1. Overcomer
2. The War Room
3. Risen
4. The God Who Speaks (incredible, stunning movie/documentary about the Bible .. watch it for free in HD 1080p here: https://streaming.afa.net/videos/the-god-who-speaks/) .. or at 720p on YouTube (for free as well)

--Papa Smurf

Last edited:
Facing the Giants

Time Changer - A Bible professor from 1890 comes forward in time to the present via a time machine and cannot believe the things that he sees! Stars Gavin MacLeod (Captain Stubing from the Love Boat)

Facing the Giants

Time Changer - A Bible professor from 1890 comes forward in time to the present via a time machine and cannot believe the things that he sees! Stars Gavin MacLeod (Captain Stubing from the Love Boat)
Now that sounds interesting, kind of a Twilight Zone-type movie.

We subscribe to a paid app channel called, “PureFlix”.

PureFlix features movies and television programs primarily aimed at a Christian audience.

Most, if not all the movies mentioned so far in this thread are, or have been, available here.

The people behind ‘The Gods Not Dead’ franchise are major owners. There is a mix of new movies and television along with vintage movies and old TV shows. I don’t agree with all their programming choices but there is nothing else available that I’ve found that is even close to the amount of Christian based content here.

They offer a free trial. I am posting the link below if anyone is interested.

PureFlix

MODERATOR'S CAUTION:
The link in this post goes to a website which sells goods or services or solicits donations or goes to a self promotion site. Members are advised to be wary of ANY such donation requests or sales and to research the group or individual making the request or sales and to PRAY before sending ANY donation or before purchasing any goods or services.

The Case for Christ
The Nativity
Christian Mingle
Faith Like Potatoes (some of its hard to understand with the South African accents -- put your subtitles on this one)
Nefarious
The Least of These - the Graham Staines story
Joyful Noise

I'll try and think of some more but can't off the top of my head remember the name of the one that was about a pastor who took over a ailing church congregation and invited in some refugee people to grow crops on the church land and that bought the community together.

Yes it has that feel without the creepiness or oddities. Twilight Zone was strange for the sake of being strange. This has a natural adventure feel to it.
Time Changer made it's points well and made an effective stark contrast between then and now.
I would also add, I believe the authority of the Gospel has also been severed.

Last edited:
Back