Relaxation and Intoxication

Many people use some kind of drug for relaxation whether it's alcohol, marijuana, kava, valium types etc.

At what point does this become unacceptable for a Christian ?

I think that we should pay attention to few facts about using these "relaxation". IMO it’s important to:
1. Care of our health and try not to destroy it.
2. Be aware of what this "relaxation" does with our self-control, emotions and behavior. Know where the limit is for us (it’s different for every person).
3. Some of us can have inherited tendency to fall into alcoholism or some other addictions. It is wise to avoid these “relaxation” in that case.

It can be very individual.

The truth is God wrote on all our hearts the need to worship Him and call out to Him, but people don't realize it and try to fill the void with "stuff". Shopping, TV, parties, drugs, alcohol, shopping, gambling, anything and everything other than God and they're for the most part miserable. While these distractions seem to help, after years of it, they are either burned out and don't care having their conscience seared, or they just keep getting deeper and deeper into whatever vice they choose. This applies to Christians just as well, filling their days with activities and "Christian" entertainment instead of quiet reflection. When they do read the word of God they read it as fast as they can. Instead of chewing on the information to change their lives, it passes through them like a 10 inch pipe without touching any part of them, having no measurable effect on their lives.

I would venture that any activity that leads you away from God can be problematic, especially the use of
"pharamceuticals" that leads to any degree of dependance.
And, as said above, it's a personal thing, your mileage may vary.
I've known people who drank (what others would consider heavily) for their entire adult lives and never had it interfere
with work or family, and others who became alcoholics after a short period of drinking.

Many people use some kind of drug for relaxation whether it's alcohol, marijuana, kava, valium types etc.

I do not think that drugs lead to relaxation. Actually they will lead to jail time. Jail maybe nice but I am again not sure that is being relaxed.

I would venture that any activity that leads you away from God can be problematic, especially the use of
"pharamceuticals" that leads to any degree of dependance.
And, as said above, it's a personal thing, your mileage may vary.
I've known people who drank (what others would consider heavily) for their entire adult lives and never had it interfere
with work or family, and others who became alcoholics after a short period of drinking.

I read somewhere that for some people alcoholism began with their very 1st drink because of being pre-disposed to it in their genes. Have you ever heard of that?

I do not think that drugs lead to relaxation. Actually they will lead to jail time. Jail maybe nice but I am again not sure that is being relaxed.

What do you think about anxiety or anti depression drugs or pain killers ?

I read somewhere that for some people alcoholism began with their very 1st drink because of being pre-disposed to it in their genes. Have you ever heard of that?

Yes I have. I've seen behaviors like that also. People that become stupid drunk after only 2 or 3 drinks and can never get enough.

I say when it abused or someone becomes dependent on what ever it is they doing. I like crickets and frogs sounds to relax me

LOL! Don't get addicted to those sounds, now!

Forgive me...I actually listen to them for the same reason. And if, in the winter I cannot hear any singing, I will listen online, though that is not nearly so effective.

The truth is God wrote on all our hearts the need to worship Him and call out to Him, but people don't realize it and try to fill the void with "stuff". Shopping, TV, parties, drugs, alcohol, shopping, gambling, anything and everything other than God and they're for the most part miserable. While these distractions seem to help, after years of it, they are either burned out and don't care having their conscience seared, or they just keep getting deeper and deeper into whatever vice they choose. This applies to Christians just as well, filling their days with activities and "Christian" entertainment instead of quiet reflection. When they do read the word of God they read it as fast as they can. Instead of chewing on the information to change their lives, it passes through them like a 10 inch pipe without touching any part of them, having no measurable effect on their lives.

I recognize this tendency in myself...and am trying to guard against it, sometimes failing and sometimes being successful... I guess it is a process to develop a habit, but I must be making progress because at least now I am recognizing the problem!

I actually really like drinking hard cider to relax me. I don't do it very often, but I generally have some in the fridge if I need it. Although alcoholism runs in my family, I've never had an issue. I'm 24 currently, and I had my first drink at 19, if I'm remembering correctly. I don't use it as a crutch, so I feel like it's fine. I also don't get drunk. Once was enough for that.

I don't really see an issue with any of the things you listed as long as they are not effecting our lives negatively or coming before our relationship with the Lord.

"Drink because you are happy, but never because you are miserable. Never drink when you are wretched without it, or you will be like the grey-faced gin-drinker in the slum; but drink when you would be happy without it, and you will be like the laughing peasant of Italy. Never drink because you need it, for this is rational drinking, and the way to death and hell. But drink because you do not need it, for this is irrational drinking, and the ancient health of the world."
-G.K. Chesterton

Good question brother. IMO they are not in the same category as are alcohol, illegal drugs etc. that people use for gratification of some kind.

Anti-depressants and pain killers are for those who have a clinical problem. I have over the years dealt with people who must take one or both in order to get through another day because of their proven, medical status.

But just like everything else, the human heart is afflicted with sin and self gratification, and there will allways be those who abuse those medications intended for the people who must have them to live.

Some of us can have inherited tendency to fall into alcoholism or some other addictions. It is wise to avoid these “relaxation” in that case.

Up until August, I had my most stable run I've had in the last 10 years, going just over 12 months with out major (there was one minor hiccup) problem. I'd guess over that period, I have on average (some weeks have been higher, others I've had nothing) 2 pints of 4% abv beer per week. I have blown up before now after several months of non drinking. The only consistent factor with me has been that the bad episodes have always followed periods of worry and things going wrong. Eventually, I just snap and I will not see any reason.

What's happened from there has varied over time. At one time I just didn't couldn't be bothered trying any more and just wanted to drink and drink but as I've tried learn can't do that, the "rules of the game" seem to have changed. These days I get into some weird state where I'm just for example refreshing web forums like mad looking for replies and drink sort of becomes secondary to that. In my mind, I "must have another drink to keep focused on what I'm doing" and I wind up drinking like mad. When I wake up the next day, I realise what I've done, want to stop and know I must stop but I can't find the control to do that.

After a period of say between 2 and 6 weeks, control suddenly comes back to me and I'm able to reduce providing a) I've not become so ill I need to go to hospital and b) nothing else rattles me while I'm reducing as I'm so volatile at that point I can start snapping at anything. I find that period of increased vulnerability carries on for a couple of months after the "detox" is complete. I don't know anyone else who experiences the drinking bouts and the loss/regain of control in the same way as me but I gather that sort of period of vulnerability is common.

Onto drink for relaxation. People do vary but my own feeling is that one is better off not starting to use it for any "medical effect". If you do find at some time you get into trouble and then stop, cravings (outside these explosive episodes, I rarely get them with one exception - see last paragraph) may go away but once you've started using it as a drug, I don't think you ever loose your "medical knowledge". By that I mean you know only too well how after a hard day, a pint has helped you relax or when you've been really on edge about something that pint has calmed you down, etc.

Anyway, I completed my last round of reduction detox a few days ago and will have to see how it goes. I'll probably have to stay out of this thread from now on as I'm finding this one difficult. It's not a case of the subject of drink making me want to drink (I could for example discuss real ale with someone without having to have a pint) but trying to explain my problems seems to have triggered strong "have a drink" thoughts. My only defence in such situations is to avoid the subject that's causing me the problem. The sudden bout of cravings usually stops them.

I recognize this tendency in myself...and am trying to guard against it, sometimes failing and sometimes being successful... I guess it is a process to develop a habit, but I must be making progress because at least now I am recognizing the problem!
They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.

Up until August, I had my most stable run I've had in the last 10 years, going just over 12 months with out major (there was one minor hiccup) problem. I'd guess over that period, I have on average (some weeks have been higher, others I've had nothing) 2 pints of 4% abv beer per week. I have blown up before now after several months of non drinking. The only consistent factor with me has been that the bad episodes have always followed periods of worry and things going wrong. Eventually, I just snap and I will not see any reason.

What's happened from there has varied over time. At one time I just didn't couldn't be bothered trying any more and just wanted to drink and drink but as I've tried learn can't do that, the "rules of the game" seem to have changed. These days I get into some weird state where I'm just for example refreshing web forums like mad looking for replies and drink sort of becomes secondary to that. In my mind, I "must have another drink to keep focused on what I'm doing" and I wind up drinking like mad. When I wake up the next day, I realise what I've done, want to stop and know I must stop but I can't find the control to do that.

After a period of say between 2 and 6 weeks, control suddenly comes back to me and I'm able to reduce providing a) I've not become so ill I need to go to hospital and b) nothing else rattles me while I'm reducing as I'm so volatile at that point I can start snapping at anything. I find that period of increased vulnerability carries on for a couple of months after the "detox" is complete. I don't know anyone else who experiences the drinking bouts and the loss/regain of control in the same way as me but I gather that sort of period of vulnerability is common.

Onto drink for relaxation. People do vary but my own feeling is that one is better off not starting to use it for any "medical effect". If you do find at some time you get into trouble and then stop, cravings (outside these explosive episodes, I rarely get them with one exception - see last paragraph) may go away but once you've started using it as a drug, I don't think you ever loose your "medical knowledge". By that I mean you know only too well how after a hard day, a pint has helped you relax or when you've been really on edge about something that pint has calmed you down, etc.

Anyway, I completed my last round of reduction detox a few days ago and will have to see how it goes. I'll probably have to stay out of this thread from now on as I'm finding this one difficult. It's not a case of the subject of drink making me want to drink (I could for example discuss real ale with someone without having to have a pint) but trying to explain my problems seems to have triggered strong "have a drink" thoughts. My only defence in such situations is to avoid the subject that's causing me the problem. The sudden bout of cravings usually stops them.

God bless you my brother and I will certainly be praying for you.

I think one needs to be careful as some of these things can be addictive.

One known problem area that is well known with people like myself who have had problems with alcohol is the one of drug substitution. I once went on a course following a hospital detox and was having terrible problems with anxiety. I went to the doctor and asked for something to help me keep calm. He asked what I had in mind and the only thing I could think of was diazepam. I was prescribed something else (pericyazine) but was refused diazepam on the grounds that he believed I would only be exchanging one addiction for another.

As a side comment, the addictive benzodiazepines (of which diazepam is one but I think chlordiazepoxide/Libruim is more commonly used) are used in medical alcohol detoxes to counter the withdrawal symptoms but that usage is only very short term. Basically you are put on a high dose of these and gradually reduced over say a week.

Back