Religiosity And Spirituality

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between RELIGIOSITY and SPIRITUALITY?
I think this is the cause of the division of CHRISTIANITY into sects and denominatios.
Any idea is fully appreciated.

A "truth" to many people is that all RELIGIONS are good because they preach MORALITY.
Example, they preach "Thou shalt not kill, ...steal....commit adultery...tell a lie..."

From this basis, different RELIGIONS are established including CHRISTIANITY!
Religions however differ in their concept of SALVATION.
In this regard, CHRISTIANITY is divided into different sects and denominations, each preaching salvation.

What next....?

As expressed by modern humans, both are worthless.
Whether it is "religiosity", the belief that adherence to "my groups orthodox doctrine" is the path
to God, or "spirituality", the belief that it is how "we feel about God and our fellow man" that has value.
Jesus the Christ is the path to God, there is no other. Do what He said and you will be saved.
No amount of rule following or nice feelings will get you to God.

Does not all religions, including CHRISTIANITY, start from MORALITY that many people say "all religions are good." Later, MORALITY that pertains to "physical life" evolves into RELIGIOSITY, now dealing with "salvation" where different RELIGIONS cannot agree.

Two examples for MORALITY are the commandments, "Thou shalt not steal....kill..." where all RELIGIONS agree. But for "salvation" RELIGIONS with their respective sects/denomonations are in disagreement.

Something to think about!

I have often been asked, "which came first....the chicken or the egg?"
My reply, is always "The Farmer".
Christianity does not spring from morality. Christianity is a dynamic relationship with the living God.
From this relationship is born our sense of morality.
For example, it is no longer "thou shalt not kill".
It is why would we not kill, why would we as Christians even want to kill?
This is one of the fundamental differences between religion and Christianity.
We as Christians do not want to kill, not because it is naughty, but because we no longer want the the things that our Lord does not want.
It should no longer be 'our will', but His will be done.
As for Salvation, any group who preaches any other than what the Apostles preached are not a Christian group no matter what they have printed on their T-Shirts.
"Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts 2:38,39

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Acts 4:12for

blessings,
calvin

I have often been asked, "which came first....the chicken or the egg?"
My reply, is always "The Farmer".
Christianity does not spring from morality. Christianity is a dynamic relationship with the living God.
From this relationship is born our sense of morality.
For example, it is no longer "thou shalt not kill".
It is why would we not kill, why would we as Christians even want to kill?
This is one of the fundamental differences between religion and Christianity.
We as Christians do not want to kill, not because it is naughty, but because we no longer want the the things that our Lord does not want.
It should no longer be 'our will', but His will be done.
As for Salvation, any group who preaches any other than what the Apostles preached are not a Christian group no matter what they have printed on their T-Shirts.
"Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts 2:38,39

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Acts 4:12for

blessings,
calvin

EXCELLENT Calvin!!!

My respect for your thoughts continue to grow!

There is not one thing to add to your comment. My only thought would be that Christianty IS NOT A RELIGION but instead is a PERSON.......Christ!!

How can we see by observing, that CHRISTIANITY like other religions, that is composed of sects/denominations is founded on MORALITY and emerged into a RELIGION? During the time of Jesus Christ the religious leaders applied and followed the commandments as religious leaders in our time.

Take for example the commandment, "Thou shalt not steal." Did not Jesus Christ see how this commandment was applied and followed that the two thieves were nailed with Him on the cross? These thieves were guilty of taking things of value belonging to other people, as robbers today are perceived by our religious leaders. In other words, this commandment, "Thou shalt not steal," has not changed its perceived meaning during the time of Christ as it is today. Jesus Christ rebuked the Scribes and Pharisees, saying:

Matthew 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Matthew 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Does not "the outside of the cup and platter" refer to MORALITY which in the commandment, "Thou shalt not steal" refers only to "robbing other people of material things?" Why did the religious leaders at that time "did not see" the essence of this "commandment of stealing" that Jesus Christ explicitly stated in the following:

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
Jesus said:

John 10:9 I am the door...
John 14:6 I am the truth...

The religious leaders at that time were rebuked by Jesus Christ in the following:

John 8:19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
Are not religious leaders in our time not also being rebuked in the foregoing truth?

When, then, is "cleanliness of the inside of the cup and platter?"

My eyes were opened when I read the whole of Matthew 23.

I have a tough time making sense of your post.

But as to When, then, is "cleanliness of the inside of the cup and platter?"
Our Lord was criticizing the Pharisees for their hypocrisy, for though they portrayed themselves
as being righteous, they acted in a very unrighteous manner. That is why He used the comparison
of a cup that is clean on the outside but filthy within. He also compared them to "whited sepulchers"
(i.e. a tomb that is pretty on the outside but has a rotting corpse inside).

I think this is the cause of the division of CHRISTIANITY into sects and denominatios.
You´ve had several very good replies already but I´ll add my two cents any way. Any Religion is equally good and any of them will give you an equal opportunity to go to Hell. The very same is true of all these Spiritual Movements of today, making them of no large difference.

Now, about Christianity, it comes in many flavors and with two major forms of packaging. All of these will also gain one immediate, upon death, access to eternity in Hell. The flavors I speak of are the denominations and their internal factions. (ie. Conservative Baptists, Liberal Baptists, Northern Baptists, Southern Baptists and on and on.) The two major forms of packaging are Left Wing and Conservative Christians. But when it is all b oiled down t5o what our God has wanted from us, true Christianity is none of the above fluff, it is a relationship with God, through His Son, Jesus.

Morality no doubt refers to "what is good in the sight of man" like the commandment, "Thou shalt not steal."
"Thou shalt not steal" refers to the act of taking anything of value not owned. This is what the religious leaders preached to the Jews during the time of Christ.

This commandment was then applied to "salvation" that the religious leaders crucified the 2 thieves on the cross with Jesus Christ. Something "not seen" by them and their followers is that Jesus Christ did not condemn these two thieves although in the beginning both mocked Him;

Clearly the foregoing as the religious leaders and their followers related this commandment to salvation was RELIGIOSITY to them.

But how did JESUS CHRIST expound this commandment of, "Thou shalt not seal" that, unwittngly, the religous leaders and their followers "did not see?"

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Jesus Christ said:

John 10:9 "I am the DOOR..."
John 14:6 "I am the TRUTH..."

In what way were the religious leaders and their followers "did not pass through the DOOR?" In what manner did these people were "not of the TRUTH?"

This is only one example:

John 8:19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him...

Is not the foregoing sufficient proof that the religious leaders and their followers were, in the eyes of the Lord, the real "thieves and robbers?"

How many professing Christians see that there are two kinds of sin? Very clearly demonstrated are the "sins" in the Ten Commandments. One example is:

Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.

PHYSICAL SIN for "stealing" is clearly demonstrated by the Religious Leaders during the time of Christ. The two thieves on the left and right of Jesus Christ were crucified on the cross with Him who were guilty of "taking things of value not owned by them."

Does not perception of this "kind of sin" leads only to RELIGIOSITY?

SPIRITUAL SIN for "stealing" is defined by Jesus Christ in the following:

Jesus Christ said:

John 10:9 "I am the DOOR..."
John 14:6 "I am the TRUTH..."

In what way were the religious leaders and their followers "did not pass through the DOOR?" In what manner did these people were "not of the TRUTH?"

This is only one example:

John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him...

Is not the foregoing sufficient proof that the religious leaders were, in the eyes of the Lord, the real "thieves and robbers?" No wonder the Scribes and Pharisees were very sharply rebuked by Jesus Christ in Matthew 23. An example:

Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Matthew 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
"Rabbi" means Teacher or Pastor.
"Father" in spiritual matters only God deserves this title.

How about the following titles that God alreadly revealed in the Old Testament?

Psalms 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

This must clearly refer to SPIRITUALITY that Jesus Christ preached, but the Religious Leaders "did not see" that in the eyes of Lord were the real "thieves and robbers."

A "truth" to many people is that all RELIGIONS are good because they preach MORALITY.
Example, they preach "Thou shalt not kill, ...steal....commit adultery...tell a lie..."

unless you think you are God .thou shal,t do but i will.
trickery is paramount in this world to gain position.
never forget clever people interpret things diffrently.

I have read your posts and you have clearly observed what is probably the single most destructive trait of Mans version of Christianity.

Jesus said to His disciples that the world would know them as His disciples because of their love for one another - aka unity. Jesus also prayed for all believers that they would be unified. The clear instruction and will of God is for all professing Christians to be unified in love. That is true Christianity!

Man through His pride, arrogance and sinful nature has sought to divide Christianity into different denominations. A careful study of why these occurred was not because the word of God is flawed, it is because of mans pride that divisions occur in the church.

True spirituality is where Christians are united in Christ and serve each other in love and rather see the good God is doing in their lives than focus on what divides them.

Many theologians have said the greastest threat to Christianity is not from the outside but from the inside because MAN does not want to obey the Holy Spirit and causes divisions in the church.

Many Christians when it comes to unbelievers try and hide this terrible sin of division in the church and say things like "There is strength in diversity" or "God created different churches for different people". The truth is Jesus created one church for all believers, one word for all believers. Once Chrisitans start to acknowledge that division is a sin and brings dishonour to God only then will they start to unite as one church.

There is one standard for truth - God's word and it clearly states what He expects from those who call on His name, but sinful man has sought to go another direction. This does not mean the church is ineffective or hypocritical, it just means the church is wounded and is nowhere as effective as it should be in reaching the unsaved.

God bless

The central point of TRUTH in the Christian religion is the true and clear identification of JESUS CHRIST. Otherwise, He should not have sharply rebuked the Religious Leaders in His time:

Is the foregoing rebuke no longer applicable to Religious Leaders of the 1001 sects and denominations of CHRISTIANITY in our time? If so, how do they identify the One True God of the Holy Bible, in view of the following questions?

1. Who was the GOD of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses? What was His NAME?
  2. Who was the GOD of Peter and Paul? What was His NAME?
  3. WHO is the One True God that the “elect” (chosen) will meet and to be with in His Eternal Kingdom?

One important truth that has "not been seen" by many people believing in the Holy Bible is that GOD had not yet revealed His NAME in the Old Testament. This is what "is written"

Isaiah 52:6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.
"Names" like "LORD, I AM THAT I AM, JEALOUS" are not names but like descriptive titles. The name JEHOVAH contained in the KJV and other Bible versions is but an invention of a Roman Catholic by the name of Cardinal Peter Galatin:

In the Jewish Encyclopedia, Vol. 7, p. 88 this is written:

"The reading JEHOVAH is a comparatively recent invention. Jehovah is generally held to have been the invention of Pope Leo the 10th's Confessor, Cardinal Peter Galatin (De Arcanis Catholic Veritates 1518, Folio XLIII), who was followed in the use of this hybrid form by Fagius Drusius. Van de Driesche, who lived between 1550 and 1616, was the first to ascribe to Peter Galatin the use of Jehovah, and this view has been taken since his day."

Therefore, without having truly and clearly identified JESUS CHRIST, the name of GOD is still hidden from many people. Let us remember, Simon Peter recognized JESUS CHRIST "by the revelation of the Father," and "not from his flesh and blood." (Mat 16:16-17).

Even Peter, though, called Him by His title/description (the Christ, the Son of the living God) rather than by a previously unrevealed "NAME". You have been repeating this point and quoting the same Scriptures again and again since you first came here and I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make that you haven't already made. Perhaps it would be better if you just came right out and simply stated your point clearly and directly and moved on to other things.

Even Peter, though, called Him by His title/description (the Christ, the Son of the living God) rather than by a previously unrevealed "NAME". You have been repeating this point and quoting the same Scriptures again and again since you first came here and I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make that you haven't already made. Perhaps it would be better if you just came right out and simply stated your point clearly and directly and moved on to other things.

Rumely, Sir, let alone GOD through His very words introduced to us who JESUS CHRIST really is. Let us remember after Simon Peter truly recognized HIM in Mat 16:16-17, He told His Disciples:

Matthew 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

Therefore, let us just wait for God through His very words to enlighten us WHO Jesus Christ really is.

(To be continued)

This subject has been covered in two separate threads and has been thoroughly discussed. This thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back