Repent and let God do the rest

Hi,

I guess many people have things that they do, which they seems to can't stop doing. I feel guilty and know it's wrong when it's done but I seem to get drawn back into it sooner or later.

I'm starting to think I'm not truly sorrowful hence why I keep falling back into my sinful habits. I've been praying to God every morning and night hoping he can work in my life and give me the will power because I know I can't do it on my own.

Would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on ways to overcome my sinful habits or how I could be going about this wrong.

Bless,

Well, I dont know what specific sin it is, as then maybe could give you more help, but do know if you repent and confess then God is just and righteous to cleanse you from all sin, he does this through the blood of Jesus.

Then he says you must walk with Him and sin no more...so that means going far away from the temptation, renewing your mind with his Word so you dont even think about it anymore, and replace with something better. They say takes someone 21 days to learn a new habit.

You must learn to hate the sin. You say you pray to God every morning if you walking with Him you will pray unceasingly like each thought is for Him, its not like God can be switched off and he wont see you when you not praying to Him.
Jesus give us power and also Delivers us from sin. You can rebuke the demons and just say STOP im not going to listen to lies. The bible says this. You can look up specific scripture and keep saying it so that its in your heart. I learned some called combat scriptures ine to start is in ephesians that has all about the armor of God.

Sure others can chime in and we can pray for you too. If its a persistent sin sometimes fasting is called for. And dont forget to praise and thank God for sending Jesus to deal with it. If we crucified with him our old man is put to death. We are a new man.

Repentance isn't about "sorrow" but about realizing who you are and who God is. It's a relationship issue. An identity crisis. Repent in Greek is literally to "change your mind". Look at the facts, the cause and the effects, and make a change. When you begin to have a personal relationship with God you won't want to jeopardize that relationship by doing something that'll hurt Him. You have to work out your own salvation - not by works - but to labor to enter into His rest. You cannot be tempted to do something you don't want to do. You can put me in a bar and I won't want to drink anything. I cannot be tempted. Put me in a bakery and I'm drooling on the glass of the display case. You have to identify those things that set you off. If you have issues, avoid the triggers. And in TV/movies/internet, triggers are all over the place. Why do you think all the commercials are the way they are? To suck you into their web of deceit. For years I struggled with getting angry while driving. I made a conscious decision to drive 5 miles per hour under the limit so I would remove the urge to hurry up. I also left 15 mins earlier so as not to be rushed. I also decided it wasn't worth the anxiety to fret over the journey. I get there when I get there. It's all about taking control of the flesh and stopping it from running (and ruining) your life. You must take the time to pray, to read, to meditate. We all have the same 24 hours in a day, so there's no excuse. You set the priorities in your life, so choose to surrender to the rest and the peace of the Holy Spirit's guidance, and just be at peace.

Hi,

I guess many people have things that they do, which they seems to can't stop doing. I feel guilty and know it's wrong when it's done but I seem to get drawn back into it sooner or later.

I'm starting to think I'm not truly sorrowful hence why I keep falling back into my sinful habits. I've been praying to God every morning and night hoping he can work in my life and give me the will power because I know I can't do it on my own.

Would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on ways to overcome my sinful habits or how I could be going about this wrong.

Bless,

Non-children of God practice sin...it is their lifestyle! In fact most do not even think of what they are doing as sinful at all. What we call sin is the rule for them (they call it fun and pleasure) and not sinning, or even doing something the world calls good, is the exception (though it occurs).

On the other hand, children of God do not practice sin...it is their lifestyle to strive to not sin. They practice not sinning. Sin is the exception and not the rule. We strive to do good and know when we have done something wrong that does not please God. (Hallelujah He has provided a way out...) and feel contrition....

As children of God we need to be on our guard. The time you need to resist is in the moment. Stop looking at life as your obligation to never ever sin again (far too overwhelming), that is not going to happen so long as you are still IN your un-glorified flesh. Only Jesus was totally sinless. If you could be there would be no need of Him.'

So do not look at "Oh my, now I must live my whole life without sin!" Just look at "No! I do not have to do this NOW! and then later "No! I do not have to do this now". For you sin is the occasion and most of the time you CAN avoid doing it but not always therefore accept your human imperfection, your corrupt nature, as who you habitually were and be transformed by the renewing of your mind as you yield day by day, moment by moment...and when He appears (then) you shall be like Him, because Christ IN YOU is the hope (the eager expectation of) of glory....

Just think about it? Just the fact that it bothers you is indicative of something going on in your spirit. I know that when I was an unsaved agnostic pagan I rarely if ever felt anything but good about it...

In His love

Paul

Last edited:
"...and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord."(Hebrews 12:14) Better keep this word in mind and think about it when it's hard for us to restrain ourselves.

Everyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour is now made holy.

We live our lives now, after knowing Jesus, in a whole new way, having been changed into a whole new man because of Christ. We still have the remnant of the old man in us, popping up to entice us to behave in our old ways, but because of our faith and relationship with God in Christ, we now have power to refuse sin, where we didn't have it before.

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Again, thanks be to God, WHO DELIVERS me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

My question would be when you pray to be delivered from your sin do you have any doubt that He will deliver you? If so take a look at James 1 in regards to doubting.

Hi,

Bless,
What you are experiencing is the lust of the flesh, and it's desire to do wrong will never go away as long as you are alive in a physical body. Being able to overcome those desires is based your ability to keep your mind / heart set on the things of God. Those who walk in the Spirit have their minds set on the things of the Spirit. Those who walk in the flesh have their minds set on the things of the flesh. The un renewed mind is a common problem, and is one of the main reasons for the flesh tripping you up. It takes time to for a Christian to come to the place of constantly walking in the Spirit. We seem to have victory for awhile and then all of a sudden we stumble and fall. You are not alone, it happens to all Christians. Hopefully as we grow older in the Lord and in the power of his might we find our self's being able to go for long periods of time without staggering. Thank God for his mercy and grace! Just confess your sins, get back up and continue walking with the Lord. Don't ever forget, "he that has started a good work in you will continue it until the day of Christ".

Hi,

Bless,

Something that God told me to do is to keep my focus on Him. No matter what the sin is, confess it (repent) and then receive God's cleansing, and restoring you back to His righteousness. Then keep you eyes on Him (Jesus). He is the author and finisher of your faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross despising the shame, and is now set down at the right hand of the throne of God ~ Hebrews 12:2 As Peter kept his eyes on Jesus while walking on the water, that's what we must do. Otherwise if we look at our sin, and/or storm, we will sink. Eventually the actions of that sin will be gone, and you did not have to agonize over it. Replace the sin with the Word of God. Meditate and memorize scripture. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!

sounds like you are focusing more on the sin, and the fact that you are sinning, than you are on God and His Word. Don't fret, i used to be the same way! The enemy is tripping you up with this. God says that when we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9) and God's forgiveness means that He remembers our sin no more. He throws our sins as far as the east is from the west. This is something very important to remember! So if God remembers your sins no more, every time you repent (which means to turn from something, and if you are able to speak it out loud (softly to yourself) then it breaks it's hold on you) then the only one who is remembering is the devil and you. And the devil who is the one who brings the condemnation, does this to keep you from walking in victory, thus causing your focus to be on your sin and not on the Savior. Now the only thing left for you to do is refuse to think about the sin. Refocus your attention on the Word of God. Taking those thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. And move forward in the freedom that God brings to you because you are fully forgiven!
Many Blessings of peace and joy be yours in abundance!

Hi,

Bless,
Hello Promised land,
Welcome to CFS !! You will find this a safe and very friendly and loving family of Christians from all around the world. Relax and poke around and enjoy the fellowship and growth that flows through out here. Glad to have you here !!

I am going to share with you some things that changed my life and others as well. It is normal to find your self in this type of situation. It is simply a part of living in this world. However there are a few thiings that YOU can do that will make all the difference you could ever desire.

First you say you pray and ask for strength....Awesome that is a good thing for we can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives us the strength or abuility to cary it out. Philippians 4:13......

Now then here is another thing you are going to have to do.
Renew your mind within the written word of God. This means read it and study it and pray over it and with it. Pray before you read for understanding and Thank God for that understanding even if you do not think you are getting much. YOU WILL.

See we have to get so much of His word in our minds that it begins to flow down to the heart and fill the heart full of His written word. Then when we face a situation, Gods word will come up first in your thinking and in the words you speak. This also allows you to begin to walk in the Spirit and so not to satisfy the lust of the flesh. Galations 5:16

These few things will get you the victory you need and desire. Now as you do this.........When you find your self once again in that place where you say, shoot, I done did it again.....Repent or turn from this and turn to God. Ask Him to forgive you and recieve your forgivenss.
1John1:19 Read it.....get your forgivness and cleansing of all your unrighteousness and try again..... Read these scriptures and pray over them. When a scriptures pops where you are reading then write it down and pray over it and ask God what he wants you to see.

Then continue reading.........You will get past this and soon be the one telling some one else how to deal with this situastion.
Blessings to you and again Welocme
Jim

I feel like I've learnt something from reading through each post and thanks for taking the time to share. Now I will try my best to apply them to my life. Focusing less on the sin and more on Jesus, reading his word and focusing upon it. Jesus Christ forgets my sin when I repent, yes I might trip up as I am born sinful and will desire things of the flesh, but through Christ he can strengthen me.

Please pray for me, after I created this thread I really fell deep.

Bless and thanks for the welcome. I hope I can help and bring others to Christ but I feel I need to sort myself out first.

I feel like I've learnt something from reading through each post and thanks for taking the time to share. Now I will try my best to apply them to my life. Focusing less on the sin and more on Jesus, reading his word and focusing upon it. Jesus Christ forgets my sin when I repent, yes I might trip up as I am born sinful and will desire things of the flesh, but through Christ he can strengthen me.

Please pray for me, after I created this thread I really fell deep.

Bless and thanks for the welcome. I hope I can help and bring others to Christ but I feel I need to sort myself out first.

Promisedland, you are totally forgiven for falling! I am positive that you have repented and thus God does not even remember what you did. Only you remember. Romans 3:23-24 says that "for everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. HE did this through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty for our sins.

You are not alone! And something that i learned is that the devil wants to make it so that you no longer feel as if you are effective for God. But that is what grace is all about. Treating you and me as if sin never happened. So as you talk about God to others, don't worry about what is in the past even if it was 10 minutes ago.

Blessings! And if you need to talk feel free to pm me.

I can tell you this much, I used to have a sinful addiction. It was a way of life for me, consumed my time. As I got closer to the Lord my God, the battle seems to get fiercer, a constant tug of war. I the end I got rid of everything that could possibly pull me back, break ties, make effort to walk differently. And keep trusting more on Him, relying more on Him and dedicating myself more to Him that is Yeshua.
That debilitating thing I used to carry around is gone today. Yeshua set me free. Your will must overcome, you must really want to be set free, and then believe it, for He has His hand stretched out towards you.
I pray strength for you. Amen.

I did a study (and eventually wrote a free book) on how to overcome sin. The biggest points I discovered are:

1. only by walking in the Spirit can you overcome sin (Galatians 5:16, Romans 8:4),
  2. the flesh itself will never submit to God willingly (Romans 8:7), therefore
  3. the only remedy for the works of the flesh is to put them to death by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:13).

The first point I had discovered some years earlier, but I didn't discover the second until recently. This explains why Paul, while claiming victory over sin through Jesus, admitted he still served sin in his flesh in Romans 7:25. That is the only thing the fleshly nature can do. It can't be reformed, so the only alternative is to put it to death through the Spirit.

Back