Repentance in Salvation?

Repentance in Salvation?

Hey brothers and sisters

I've been talking with a few friends on facebook about Repentance. And I am one that believes that we must repent in order for God to remain with us and to move us and keep us on the right path and for salvation along with Faith and keeping the commandments (Of Jesus)

What are your thoughts?

God leads and draws us to repentance
Rom 2:4 Or despise you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

God grants repentance
Rom 2:4 Or despise you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

I personally believe that repentance is tied closely to grace and it is only by His mercy we can repent. God does not and will not reject anyone who is struggleing with problem areas and deep down wants to be free. He is even willing to take the prodigal in and put on a robe and ring beffitting sonship. Repentance then (in my opinion) is a manifestation of the working of God in our lives but salvation was accomplished at the cross- when we are born again this newness of life compels us in the Way of our Lord and Master.
Anyway just my thoughts.

Ramsey: I agree with you that preaching the need for repentance has been sorely neglected in the church and even in conversation...thank you for asking. My mind immediately went to the scriptures where those who trust God continually praise and magnify Him.

Psalm 34:1
I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalm 40:16
Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified.
Psalm 70:4
Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified.
Psalm 71:6
By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.
Acts 6:4
But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
Hebrews 13:15
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

When we allow sin in our lives; do sinful acts and are not repentant; the scriptures says that it separates us from God. We are not able to continually praise Him, how could we, why would we...we are "in our flesh" and have seperated ourselves from God by our own wants.

Isaiah 59:2
But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Jude 1:19
These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

Yes, I believe that spiritual cleansing (godly sorrow; repentance leading to reconciliation) allows us to walk upright with God (His presence remains with us) is not only His desire but should be our daily goal: to stay in His Word, be lead by His spirit and not our flesh, to obey and love His commandments and laws, to learn of Him and BE His as He has given us grace to receive eternal life through His Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. The image of the Word of God being the Sword of the Lord; to slay the sin in our lives might help us understand the powerful weapon that God has given us to allow us to live lives pleasing to Him.

Psalm 119:9-11
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Amen brother and sister.

I realized also that while not repenting, and I mean REALLY repenting, as in taking time and singing songs of repentance and speaking to Him about forgiveness and our sins, I noticed that my joy goes down and my will to praise Him also and all things. I no longer live in peace.

So to me Repentance is a part of acquiring salvation. a part of acquiring Jesus I mean, and Jesus is our salvation. And by repenting as you said, we are closer to God and that also His mercy and grace leads us to more repentance in the future.

Someone said that Repentance has no part in salvation. I don't find that true at all, if we never repent then we admit we have no sins before God and that makes Jesus a liar and us liars.

"Someone said that Repentance has no part in salvation. I don't find that true at all, if we never repent then we admit we have no sins before God and that makes Jesus a liar and us liars."

Well, from what I understand, repentance is changing your mind about something. Jesus said in John 16, "...And when he (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. 9 The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me." (NLT)
So, if there's no change of mind - repentance of that unbelief, there really isn't any salvation. One can't really turn to Christ and receive the life He offers if they don't believe in Him 'eh?

Repent and Live, Repent or Die. There is no gray area.
Blessed is he who Trusts and puts his faith in God, make Him your treasure.

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father who has sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
The Father draws, the Holy Spirit convicts and we turn to Him and receive life.:)
Jesus did come to call the sinners to repentance.:)
Repentance is indeed a gift from God and like all gifts cannot be earned but must be received gracefully and embraced wholeheartedly.
The work of the cross and the Holy Spirit runs deeper than just a change of course- He leads us into death to the old self and brings us to the mainfestation of älive to God in Christ- a new creation- the sons of God all things new!:)

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that you believe on him whom he has sent.

Thank you all for your answers :) I now am sure of my statement. Indeed I am and since we all are in agreement here, then Amen, we're one in the body of Christ, hence also one mind. God bless :)

The work of the cross and the Holy Spirit runs deeper than just a change of course- He leads us into death to the old self and brings us to the mainfestation of älive to God in Christ- a new creation- the sons of God all things new!:)

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that you believe on him whom he has sent.

Right on!

Believing in Christ means counting on Him for everything and not counting on my own abilities for anything. I don't think anyone can really come to that point tho until they arrive at the end of themselves - a place described perfectly by Paul in Romans 7:15-24. Of course reading through those verses - totally relating - then hitting verse 25 and letting that sink in is just crazy good! :D

That was an amazing verse Brian.

I read it slowly. and then tried to understand and I did a bit. Then I added verse 25. wow :)

The first time I read Romans I did not concentrate at all so I should reread the whole new testament and pray for guidance :)

Yeah and it just keeps goin' ...:)

Rom 8:1-2 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."

You know when he says law of sin and death? Is he talking about certain laws? or just sin ? care to explain please bro :D

Well, the simplest answer is "The wages of sin is death". Christ set us free from that by paying the penalty for sin when he died on the cross. He then rose from the dead and now offers us new life. Only He can give us life because only He has risen from the dead and has life to give! Now if we are in Christ, His spirit lives in us and we are free to walk according to His spirit rather than trying to obey the law. Trying to obey the law will take ya right back to Romans 7:15-24 <edit> actually you'll remain dead if you don't come to Christ for life </edit>. We just can't do it! And now I just gotta tag Ephesians 2:1-5 on here as well - as I think it applies. :)

"1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." -NIV

No man can plaese God by rules and regulations that is why we have the Holy Spirit to lead and empower us.:)
Gal 5:18
But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law.

True repentance is not feeling guilty and sorry and believing in Jesus, but it is the turning from sin and walking away from the old life and to the new righteous life.

True repentance is not feeling guilty and sorry and believing in Jesus, but it is the turning from sin and walking away from the old life and to the new righteous life.
Agreed as long as it is in the power of the Holy Spirit!:)

Back