Repentance is not required for salvation

Romans 10:9-10 KJV
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. [10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

No repentance is required. However, repentance does play a part.

Romans 2:4 KJV
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Therefore, when you are convicted of your sin, and are aware of what God did for you, you will repent. But you are already saved if you believe in your heart that God rose Jesus from the grave, and if you confess the Lord Jesus (not exactly sure what that means). Also, please remember the thief on the cross. He did not repent. Paul didn't either, but I'm sure that he did at some later time.

Mark 1:15 …and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
Luke 13:3-5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”
Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
Acts 11:18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.”

...Also, please remember the thief on the cross. He did not repent. Paul didn't either, but I'm sure that he did at some later time.
Wrong in both cases, Juk.
You cannot turn to Jesus without first turning from yourself/sin.
To repent means to turn.

The passages doesn't specifically mention them breathing either, but by the act of being human and alive we know that they were.

Mark 1:15 …and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
Luke 13:3-5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”
Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
Acts 11:18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.”
I looked up the word "repent" in my Bible app and I couldn't find a any of those verses. I was looking for verses like that but I just couldn't find them.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. [10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Therefore, when you are convicted of your sin, and are aware of what God did for you, you will repent. But you are already saved if you believe in your heart that God rose Jesus from the grave, and if you confess the Lord Jesus (not exactly sure what that means). Also, please remember the thief on the cross. He did not repent. Paul didn't either, but I'm sure that he did at some later time.

Juk......
While Scripture notes the importance of faith for salvation, repentance which means..."to turn" or even to changing one's mind, is also part of the process God uses to save us.

Acts 26:20 says clearly........
"I preached that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance."

The sinner must first change their minds about their way of being in order to turn to God. After we turn to God, our faith demonstrates our changed mind through works. Repentance, faith, and works are intimately connected. Faith shows a change of mind that leads to changed behaviors.

Luke 13:3 also say to us from the moth of God Himself.........
"I tell you, nay, but except ye REPENT ye shall all likewise perish".

Note: I looked for the word "repentance" in my Bible app and I found none of the verses you guys are posting. That's why I made this thread. I guess I was being to specific and I should have just search for the word, "repent".

@Juk here you go again...

Repent comes from the Greek word meta-noeo meaning "change your mind" that's all. To get to the point where one "calls upon the Lord", they're changing their mind about God. So repentance is 100% required. Read the next verse:

Romans 10:14 (KJV)
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?​

You have to repent (change your mind about God) to believe and you have to believe to call out to God.

The underlined is a revelation you are given '''after'' you repent. It is not possible to fully believe a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is God of the universe. Note how Peter 1. saw Jesus defy the laws of nature with great miracles, 2. he had more faith then the others (walked on water) yet 3. still doubted and needed a revelation from God Matt 16:16-17.

You cannot call Jesus Lord without the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:3. The Holy Spirit does not reveal Jesus as Lord to you unless you invite Jesus in Rev 3:20. God then judges heart and mind Jer 17:9-10. Repenting is inviting Him in Psalm 51:17 / James 4:8.

Also, please remember the thief on the cross. He did not repent.

The thief on the cross:

Luke 23:32-43, (NAS95)32 Two others also, who were criminals, were being led away to be put to death with Him. 33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left. 34 But Jesus was saying, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing." And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. 35 And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One." 36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!" 38 Now there was also an inscription above Him, "THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS." 39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 "And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." 42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

The one thief defended Jesus. He had just witnessed many mocking and torturing Him. He stuck his neck out there to do what he did. He didn't have to. When he said he is suffering justly but Jesus is not, he was acknowledging his sin. The first step to repentance is softening your heart and acknowledging your sin. That plus defending Jesus in a state as a lamb to the slaughter whilst ALL are mocking Him.....sounds to me like He more then accepted Jesus!!

Soft heart Heb 3:15, repentance, hating what is evil Rom 12:9 = steps toward accepting Jesus.

Reactions: Juk
I've long come to learn, that when it comes to the bible and you stumble upon"contradictions" you have to take both parts and read them as a whole, for it to make sense.

Paul didn't either, but I'm sure that he did at some later time.

God knew that Paul's hatred of Christians was not a complete hatred of Him. Not truly hating what is good, rather a rebellious uprising. God saw devotion and dedication in him and chose him. Just as He chose Abraham and every prophet in the OT. Not from partiality but from omniscience. He knows what's going on in their hearts.

Paul could have still refused. We just have to consider Pharaoh to grasp that the miraculous does not equal repentance / submission to God.

I think we should look into specific details on what the verse is saying. It is not enough to historically believe that Jesus was a real person, who died on the cross and resurrected. You know what, 99% of the hindus believe that! They believe Jesus was just another "avatar" of god (small g). The verse does not indicate that kind of belief. I was reading Oswald Chambers yesterday and a statement by him hit me on the face. Being aware of something is totally different from being grounded in the truth. That is what we are talking about here. It is not just acknowledging the events of Bible as historically true. It is "believing" in Jesus. It is also believing why He had to die. And why He was raised from dead. Part of that verse also includes why we confess that Jesus died and God rose Him from dead. It is for our sins. Acknowledging we are sinners and need in Savior and we cannot do it on our own. That is the bottom line. And that is the start of repentance. Turning away from sin is pretty much what repentance is. It does not stop where we simply acknowledge that we are sinners. Which would make us only aware of the truth. We have to turn away from it. That's what constitutes believing in Jesus Christ.

For doctrinal conclusions, always consider entire Bible. That would be my sincere advice. Especially such big things as salvation itself. From other threads, I see you are trying to come to doctrinal conclusions based on single verse. And that verse does not even address such things. So please check the entire Bible and see what Bible has to say about that topic. Kind of doing your own systematic theology. You don't even need a theology book. Just your Bible and computer :)

Back