Repentance

This thread is all about repentance. What is repentance? How does one repent? What do you guys think about repentance? How important is repentance to you? I want to know if I have truly repented of my sins.

This thread is all about repentance. What is repentance? How does one repent? What do you guys think about repentance? How important is repentance to you? I want to know if I have truly repented of my sins.
What is repentance?
It is the changing of your mind and your heart. For example, when we come to Jesus we repent of our sin. It no longer is an object of our affection, but instead is one of our hatred and sorrow.

How does one repent?
Repentance is a gift from God by his Holy Spirit. When repentance is needed the Holy Spirit will convict you. A natural man cannot repent of sin altogether.

What do you guys think about repentance?
It is necessary if you are to call yourself a child of God. When you are born of God you repent of sin, it is that simple. Repentance in and of itself doesn't save, but is a good sign you have been.

How important is repentance to you?
Very, for it is what separates us from children of the devil. They enjoy their sin and deem it good. We, however, do not deem it good as they do. We know it is evil because we repent.

I want to know if I have truly repented of my sins.
Has your heart and mind changed concerning it? Is sin evil and horrible to you? When you sin do you feel the Holy Spirit? Then you have repented of your sins, and I hope you continue to do so as the Spirit prompts you.

Reactions: Juk
What is repentance?
It is the changing of your mind and your heart. For example, when we come to Jesus we repent of our sin. It no longer is an object of our affection, but instead is one of our hatred and sorrow.

How does one repent?
Repentance is a gift from God by his Holy Spirit. When repentance is needed the Holy Spirit will convict you. A natural man cannot repent of sin altogether.

What do you guys think about repentance?
It is necessary if you are to call yourself a child of God. When you are born of God you repent of sin, it is that simple. Repentance in and of itself doesn't save, but is a good sign you have been.

How important is repentance to you?
Very, for it is what separates us from children of the devil. They enjoy their sin and deem it good. We, however, do not deem it good as they do. We know it is evil because we repent.

I want to know if I have truly repented of my sins.
Has your heart and mind changed concerning it? Is sin evil and horrible to you? When you sin do you feel the Holy Spirit? Then you have repented of your sins, and I hope you continue to do so as the Spirit prompts you.
First, I really like how you answered my questions. :) And second, there is this one sin that I have an issue with (not going to mention it). During the sin, I don't even care anymore. But after the sin, guilt starts to gush in, and I feel very remorseful about it. But I do it again (not on a daily basis). I want to turn away, but the sin happens all of a sudden and there is little I try to do to stop it.

First, I really like how you answered my questions. :) And second, there is this one sin that I have an issue with (not going to mention it). During the sin, I don't even care anymore. But after the sin, guilt starts to gush in, and I feel very remorseful about it. But I do it again (not on a daily basis). I want to turn away, but the sin happens all of a sudden and there is little I try to do to stop it.
I suggest for you to read Romans the seventh chapter.

We as Children of God inhabit sinful flesh, and its desires beat ours sometimes. But, that guilt and remorse you feel afterward is proof of repentance. That is the Spirit of Truth working in you.

I know what sin it is you struggle with because I struggle with the same thing. My advice to you is to understand that you are as Holy and Righteous now in God's sight as you will ever be. He loves you the same now as he ever will. Just know that he will chasten us and discipline us in areas where we fall short. So keep that in mind as you move forward, and know the battle against sin has already been won!

QUOTE="Cosmicwaffle, post: 394929, member: 13393"]I suggest for you to read Romans the seventh chapter.

We as Children of God inhabit sinful flesh, and its desires beat ours sometimes. But, that guilt and remorse you feel afterward is proof of repentance. That is the Spirit of Truth working in you.

I know what sin it is you struggle with because I struggle with the same thing. My advice to you is to understand that you are as Holy and Righteous now in God's sight as you will ever be. He loves you the same now as he ever will. Just know that he will chasten us and discipline us in areas where we fall short. So keep that in mind as you move forward, and know the battle against sin has already been won!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! It's great to know that I am not alone! I will pray for you! :D

One of the primary benefits of genuinely receiving the Holy spirit according to the Scriptures, is that He
(through praying in the Spirit) enables us to be set free from the power of sin, and to also overcome any sin
that continues to trouble us.
The Holy Spirit works on cleaning and strengthening the inner person, your soul, your heart, your desires and thoughts
and helps to bring all of this into submission to Christ Jesus.
It's one thing to feel guilty after doing something naughty, but the Spirit-filled Christian is expected to overcome wrong doing.

The word repent means to turn from. So when you repent (even if it's several times a day) you are making the choice at that moment to turn from whatever it is you are doing wrong. And as you repent, you break the hold that the sin has over you at that particular moment.

Hebrews 12:1-2 talks about running the race that is set before us and throwing aside the weight of the sin that so easily trips us up, and to keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. When i was talking to the Lord a lot about falling back in to a particular sin, i believe God told me to just keep my eyes focused on Jesus (much like Peter did when he was walking on the water), because when a person focuses on their sin...that is the thing that is so prevalent in the mind. It's the principle of renewing the mind and meditation.....so if you are focused on Jesus, then you are less likely to sin, or be overtaken by sin.
When we focus on our sin, then we seem to get weighed down, and cannot grow.

Blessings mr. Juk

The word repent means to turn from. So when you repent (even if it's several times a day) you are making the choice at that moment to turn from whatever it is you are doing wrong. And as you repent, you break the hold that the sin has over you at that particular moment.

Hebrews 12:1-2 talks about running the race that is set before us and throwing aside the weight of the sin that so easily trips us up, and to keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. When i was talking to the Lord a lot about falling back in to a particular sin, i believe God told me to just keep my eyes focused on Jesus (much like Peter did when he was walking on the water), because when a person focuses on their sin...that is the thing that is so prevalent in the mind. It's the principle of renewing the mind and meditation.....so if you are focused on Jesus, then you are less likely to sin, or be overtaken by sin.
When we focus on our sin, then we seem to get weighed down, and cannot grow.

Blessings mr. Juk
I will try this the next time that the next time that sin comes around. The problem is that I always forget these important principles once I am faced with this sin.

One of the primary benefits of genuinely receiving the Holy spirit according to the Scriptures, is that He
(through praying in the Spirit) enables us to be set free from the power of sin, and to also overcome any sin
that continues to trouble us.
The Holy Spirit works on cleaning and strengthening the inner person, your soul, your heart, your desires and thoughts
and helps to bring all of this into submission to Christ Jesus.
It's one thing to feel guilty after doing something naughty, but the Spirit-filled Christian is expected to overcome wrong doing.
I am guessing that this takes time?

True repentance is a change of heart toward God evidenced by at least a serious attempt at change of actions. But our change of actions will not be successful except through the power of the Holy Spirit.
I truly can relate to this chapter which describes our unsuccessful attempts at producing the fruit of repentance. But the next chapter tells us we can have success in overcoming the flesh by walking in the Spirit (Romans 8:2-4). We are to put our fleshly works to death, not by our own willpower in trying to obey the law, but by the Spirit (Romans 8:13). Apart from trusting in the power of the Holy Spirit to sanctify us, we will have no ability to keep our fleshly desires in check.

Repentance is a spiritual thing. So spiritually you are turning from one thing and walking away from it, but at the same time you are walking towards something else. That should be God your Father. When you repent for something, you turn from it and walk in the opposite way. So if you repent from something bad, your turn from it, you walk away from it, and the distance between you and the bad thing gets bigger and bigger and it is left behind.
So when you repent from something bad and walk away from it, you walk towards that things opposite in a way, so away from bad means towards good. The closer you get to that good, which is God in heaven, the more you walk towards holiness.
Now I know the guys here can take me on as this explanation is not typically found in the bible, but it works for me in the spirit.
Just so you know, as you are walking towards that holiness, you can again veer off and end up walking away from holiness, but the only way to prevent that is not to look away to the sides - the things of the world and of the flesh - but keep your eye on the holiness where you want to end up.
No doubt that holiness is God Himself, and a sure way to get there is to keep yourself in the Word of God through leadership of His Spirit.
A good dollop of God's people on your way is also helpful.

Well. Everytime you tempted, say to yourself, God is watching me do this.
If you spend more time with Jesus, sin be less of a problem.
Idk its hard cos we still in our flesh bodies. Its like we cannot fast all the time, our bodies demand that we eat. But it is good to fast so that you can be clean on the inside and have more room for the holy spirit to work in you.
What you can do is eat the right foods, not junk. Ask God to show you how to keep your body as a temple of the holy spirit. See, the more we eat healthy foods, the more we like it, then we start hating what is junk, seeing what damage it does to our bodies. Like we could get diabetes or heart attack if we keep on that road.

Idk what your specific sin is but maybe ask God what the consequences are if you continue in it. We might not end up in hell, cos jesus blood covers all our sin, but blessings will not come our way if we keep going our own way. You have the rest of your life on earth to live, you dont want to be weighted down by stuff that holds you back.

I will try this the next time that the next time that sin comes around. The problem is that I always forget these important principles once I am faced with this sin.

Practice this in regards to all sin. Because God looks at all sin the same way. It could be a bad attitude, or whatever. That way you are renewing your mind to What the Word of God is saying to you. And you get in the habit of immediately repenting. Then just thank God for cleansing you of all unrighteousness. And be on about whatever you were doing.
Blessings to you mr. Juk

Well. Everytime you tempted, say to yourself, God is watching me do this.
If you spend more time with Jesus, sin be less of a problem.
Idk its hard cos we still in our flesh bodies. Its like we cannot fast all the time, our bodies demand that we eat. But it is good to fast so that you can be clean on the inside and have more room for the holy spirit to work in you.
What you can do is eat the right foods, not junk. Ask God to show you how to keep your body as a temple of the holy spirit. See, the more we eat healthy foods, the more we like it, then we start hating what is junk, seeing what damage it does to our bodies. Like we could get diabetes or heart attack if we keep on that road.

Idk what your specific sin is but maybe ask God what the consequences are if you continue in it. We might not end up in hell, cos jesus blood covers all our sin, but blessings will not come our way if we keep going our own way. You have the rest of your life on earth to live, you dont want to be weighted down by stuff that holds you back.
Sad thing is, I know the earthly consequences. One thing that I found out is that people do not care doing about something wrong if they do not feel the consequences immediately.

It is only the wise who are concerned about judgment - who battle with their conscience - who desire to submit
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Proverbs 9:10
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works,
there is none that doeth good." Proverbs 14:1
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7

The problem is that I always forget these important principles once I am faced with this sin.
That's why sin is often described as a seducer or as seducing; or as enticing; or as bait....
The trouble with sin is that it easier often to give in - it takes a willful effort to deny or not give in...
But practice does help make one more perfect, more mature in their walk with the Lord, one's walk in the Spirit.

That's why sin is often described as a seducer or as seducing; or as enticing; or as bait....
The trouble with sin is that it easier often to give in - it takes a willful effort to deny or not give in...
But practice does help make one more perfect, more mature in their walk with the Lord, one's walk in the Spirit.
I will pray on it.

It is only the wise who are concerned about judgment - who battle with their conscience - who desire to submit
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Proverbs 9:10
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works,
there is none that doeth good." Proverbs 14:1
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7
I guess I am on the right path, then :) P.S. You put Proverbs 14:1 instead of Psalms 14:1.

Back