Repentance

Repentance is a spiritual thing. So spiritually you are turning from one thing and walking away from it, but at the same time you are walking towards something else. That should be God your Father. When you repent for something, you turn from it and walk in the opposite way. So if you repent from something bad, your turn from it, you walk away from it, and the distance between you and the bad thing gets bigger and bigger and it is left behind.
So when you repent from something bad and walk away from it, you walk towards that things opposite in a way, so away from bad means towards good. The closer you get to that good, which is God in heaven, the more you walk towards holiness.
Now I know the guys here can take me on as this explanation is not typically found in the bible, but it works for me in the spirit.
Just so you know, as you are walking towards that holiness, you can again veer off and end up walking away from holiness, but the only way to prevent that is not to look away to the sides - the things of the world and of the flesh - but keep your eye on the holiness where you want to end up.
No doubt that holiness is God Himself, and a sure way to get there is to keep yourself in the Word of God through leadership of His Spirit.
A good dollop of God's people on your way is also helpful.

Just thought i would help with the scripture part...... Galatians 5:16-17,!24-25 proverbs 4:20-27 and Galatians 6:7-9 ; Ephesians 4:22-24 ;5:1,8-10, 15-17 ; Colossians 2:6-7,10 the scriptures are not in order but what he said is scriptural. Plus i felt as if God wanted a couple more added.

Blessing to you all!

Thing I always found when I did a sin, I felt that I was not worth to be with God, not worth being called a child of Him. That took me to a point where I hate sin, and even when my children sins, I absolutely hate that action, and know it will be best to get rid of that, away from my family and loved ones immediately. And then to ensure we walk away from it.

felt that I was not worth to be with God,
Just remember that with God we are only ever children. He remembers we are clay.
And like our natural children life is about stumbling and tripping, and being gullible.
As long as we learn and grow. But in the flesh we will never be perfect.
As long as we do not become self-righteous, and remain humble and contrite we maintain a working
relationship with our Lord and God.
Deliberately sinning and going back to wrongdoing is completely different - and will condemn a soul.

Thing I always found when I did a sin, I felt that I was not worth to be with God, not worth being called a child of Him. That took me to a point where I hate sin, and even when my children sins, I absolutely hate that action, and know it will be best to get rid of that, away from my family and loved ones immediately. And then to ensure we walk away from it.
I also feel like I am not worthy of being God's child when I sin.

Well Jesus said to pray that we be lead OUT of temptation or NOT into temptation..and to be delievered from evil.

Have you been praying this? He can set you free, if you follow his lead. Its like, the door is open, you can leave your cage, but you just wanna stay there and then complain you keep sinning. Well of course you going to keep sinning if you in a place of temptation. And we are all temtped at various times, nobody is immune, but we learn to overcome. What did Jesus do when he wass tempted to sin? He quoted scripture. He countered lies with the truth.

What I find that helped me was memorizing these combat scriptures.

I also feel like I am not worthy of being God's child when I sin.
That's why it is just the best to beat that sin down and walk away from it in Jesus name. In all honesty, you have to keep close to God not to fall again. Just going through the motions in your own self is not a good idea - get with Holy Spirit, it's the only way.

Reactions: Juk
That's why it is just the best to beat that sin down and walk away from it in Jesus name. In all honesty, you have to keep close to God not to fall again. Just going through the motions in your own self is not a good idea - get with Holy Spirit, it's the only way.
What are the motions?

Google - going through the motions.
There are few dictionaries that will give you an idea of the idiom.
The reason I'm using that is when you just go about live the usual old way, sort of stuck in a rut, get up, go to work/school, come home, lie around, almost lacking vigour, relying on your own motivation - you know, you are just there, taking up space(almost).
But, if you have placed sin behind you and you grabbed hold of the fact that you are a heir to the kingdom of God, a son of the most high God, a brother of Christ, man it changes the world around you, the way you walk, the way you talk, or anything.
Because God is in everything you do - best feeling alive, I tell you.

Google - going through the motions.
There are few dictionaries that will give you an idea of the idiom.
The reason I'm using that is when you just go about live the usual old way, sort of stuck in a rut, get up, go to work/school, come home, lie around, almost lacking vigour, relying on your own motivation - you know, you are just there, taking up space(almost).
But, if you have placed sin behind you and you grabbed hold of the fact that you are a heir to the kingdom of God, a son of the most high God, a brother of Christ, man it changes the world around you, the way you walk, the way you talk, or anything.
Because God is in everything you do - best feeling alive, I tell you.
Thing is that I do not know what to do with my life. I spend a lot of my time on this website and Jesus-is-savior.com

Well Jesus said to pray that we be lead OUT of temptation or NOT into temptation..and to be delievered from evil.

Have you been praying this? He can set you free, if you follow his lead. Its like, the door is open, you can leave your cage, but you just wanna stay there and then complain you keep sinning. Well of course you going to keep sinning if you in a place of temptation. And we are all temtped at various times, nobody is immune, but we learn to overcome. What did Jesus do when he wass tempted to sin? He quoted scripture. He countered lies with the truth.

What I find that helped me was memorizing these combat scriptures.
Yes, I have been asking God help me resist sin. But I now realize that it's a two person process: both God and I must work together.

You're almost 13, study hard at school, hard in the word of God, play outside, discover His creation. Learn to live and have joy in Him. Trust me, before you know it, you're 40 wondering where it all went. Live in the moment, not tomorrow, nor in yesterday.

How does one repent?
Repentance is a gift from God by his Holy Spirit. When repentance is needed the Holy Spirit will convict you. A natural man cannot repent of sin altogether.

I agree here. It is only because God's kindness towards us is why we repent.
However, I have a good question for anyone who has the answer.
In regards to a believer, why does it take longer for the HS to convict us of certain sins, and quicker for other sins.
One sin it may only take a week to convict, another sin it may take years. Why is that?

How does one repent?
Repentance is a gift from God by his Holy Spirit. When repentance is needed the Holy Spirit will convict you. A natural man cannot repent of sin altogether.

I agree here. It is only because God's kindness towards us is why we repent.
However, I have a good question for anyone who has the answer.
In regards to a believer, why does it take longer for the HS to convict us of certain sins, and quicker for other sins.
One sin it may only take a week to convict, another sin it may take years. Why is that?
Hardness of the heart. The onion effect. Every layer of sin that is dealt with only reveals another. How can you know something is a sin if you don't know you're doing it, or even want to know you're doing it. I was the biggest hypocrite, fully "righteous" in my own eyes, until that layer got touched. I thought by me pointing out the errors of others' ways was righteousness. How little did I know. Hence David's cry,

Psalms 139:23-24 (KJV)
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if [there be any] wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.​

You're right: We cannot find sin within until the light of the Truth shines on it so we can deal with it!

You're almost 13, study hard at school, hard in the word of God, play outside, discover His creation. Learn to live and have joy in Him. Trust me, before you know it, you're 40 wondering where it all went. Live in the moment, not tomorrow, nor in yesterday.
I want to play sports and take walks in the spring and summer, but my mom is so overprotective. She does not want to me do wrestling because she thinks that I am too violent. I would consider track, but my stamina is too low.

This thread is all about repentance. What is repentance? How does one repent? What do you guys think about repentance? How important is repentance to you? I want to know if I have truly repented of my sins.
Juk, the word "repentance" means....

According to the New American Standard Exhausted Concordance.
μετανοέω "Repent"
metanoeō; from G3326 and G3539; to change one’s mind or purpose: - repent (26), repented (5), repents (3).

God told John the Baptist two things. (1) to prepare a "highway" in the desert for the Lord. (2) God told John who ever you see the Spirit come upon and remain, this would be the Christ, the lamb that take away the sins of the world.

How John prepared this "highway" was by what he preached every where he went, which was "repentance".
To repent is to change your mind. Change your mind from what to what? To change it from the things of this world to the things of God!!
Thinking about the things of God prepares a "highway" from the throne of God directly into your heart. The Lord travels upon this "highway" right to where you are.
But it only happens when you have your heart set on the things of God, where God is enthroned!
Through out the Bible, it tells us that those who walk in the Spirit are those who have their heart set on the things of the Spirit, and those who walk in the flesh have their hearts set of the things of the flesh! A man who is in repentance is the man who has his heart and mind set on the things of God 24/7. This person is in constant fellowship with the Lord at all times, and is well aware of the Lords presence. Not only does the Lord travel upon this "highway", but also all of his children who have found it and understand it. Remember, Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life". The word "way" means "highway"
This highway way was foretold in the Old Testament.....

Isa 35:8 And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray.
Isa 35:9 No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there.
Isa 35:10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

This highway ends in Mt Zion, where God sits in his rest.

You have asking how to hear the voice of the Spirit of God, and I have shared with you many things how to do this. The Word of God is all connected together as it confirms itself in many ways. I will share with you the greatest thing I have ever learned from the Lord, and from this, every thing I know to this day as a Christian is based on this one thing. I have been travailing this "highway" for decades, and every thing I have learned for my Heavenly Father came as a result of travailing this road. This scripture is the very first thing the Lord taught me directly as a new Christian, and it is all based on "repentance"

Col 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. (This is repentance!!!.)
Col 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

There is always a result to every thing you do, when you do what scripture tells you to do! These things do not automatically happen, you have to expect them to happen once you do what they say! Appearing before God in his Glory is the result of repentance, in setting your heart on the things of God!!!
Everything I know, and every thing I have posted on this forum came this way. This is normal for a child of God. It is not just for a chosen few, but for all the body of Christ. How else can the Church gather together under one banner whom God has set upon his Holy hill?

Juk, the word "repentance" means....

According to the New American Standard Exhausted Concordance.
μετανοέω "Repent"
metanoeō; from G3326 and G3539; to change one’s mind or purpose: - repent (26), repented (5), repents (3).

God told John the Baptist two things. (1) to prepare a "highway" in the desert for the Lord. (2) God told John who ever you see the Spirit come upon and remain, this would be the Christ, the lamb that take away the sins of the world.

How John prepared this "highway" was by what he preached every where he went, which was "repentance".
To repent is to change your mind. Change your mind from what to what? To change it from the things of this world to the things of God!!
Thinking about the things of God prepares a "highway" from the throne of God directly into your heart. The Lord travels upon this "highway" right to where you are.
But it only happens when you have your heart set on the things of God, where God is enthroned!
Through out the Bible, it tells us that those who walk in the Spirit are those who have their heart set on the things of the Spirit, and those who walk in the flesh have their hearts set of the things of the flesh! A man who is in repentance is the man who has his heart and mind set on the things of God 24/7. This person is in constant fellowship with the Lord at all times, and is well aware of the Lords presence. Not only does the Lord travel upon this "highway", but also all of his children who have found it and understand it. Remember, Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life". The word "way" means "highway"
This highway way was foretold in the Old Testament.....

Isa 35:8 And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray.
Isa 35:9 No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there.
Isa 35:10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

This highway ends in Mt Zion, where God sits in his rest.

You have asking how to hear the voice of the Spirit of God, and I have shared with you many things how to do this. The Word of God is all connected together as it confirms itself in many ways. I will share with you the greatest thing I have ever learned from the Lord, and from this, every thing I know to this day as a Christian is based on this one thing. I have been travailing this "highway" for decades, and every thing I have learned for my Heavenly Father came as a result of travailing this road. This scripture is the very first thing the Lord taught me directly as a new Christian, and it is all based on "repentance"

Col 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. (This is repentance!!!.)
Col 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

There is always a result to every thing you do, when you do what scripture tells you to do! These things do not automatically happen, you have to expect them to happen once you do what they say! Appearing before God in his Glory is the result of repentance, in setting your heart on the things of God!!!
Everything I know, and every thing I have posted on this forum came this way. This is normal for a child of God. It is not just for a chosen few, but for all the body of Christ. How else can the Church gather together under one banner whom God has set upon his Holy hill?

I do think about the things of God. I usually have little "sermons" to myself, discussing a topic in the Bible. For example, today I discussed how God does not bring up our past mistakes to put us down, but to remind us that we have an issue with a certain sin and to run in the opposite direction, and how Satan is the only one who would bring up certain mistakes just to make us feel bad. I really like having these "sermons". But I can only have them when I am alone, so mostly in the shower. I want to have them all the time, but as a child still, my mind cannot usually focus on something for a very long time, and this includes the Word of God. But when I am alone like in the shower, I would have no problem with it. Thinking about the things of God gives me peace, and nothing else has been able to do that for me.

I do think about the things of God. I usually have little "sermons" to myself, discussing a topic in the Bible. For example, today I discussed how God does not bring up our past mistakes to put us down, but to remind us that we have an issue with a certain sin and to run in the opposite direction, and how Satan is the only one who would bring up certain mistakes just to make us feel bad. I really like having these "sermons". But I can only have them when I am alone, so mostly in the shower. I want to have them all the time, but as a child still, my mind cannot usually focus on something for a very long time, and this includes the Word of God. But when I am alone like in the shower, I would have no problem with it. Thinking about the things of God gives me peace, and nothing else has been able to do that for me.

Brother Juk, I tell every one to pay attention to, and to listen to every word that comes out of our mouth. God, a lot of times speaks to us through our own mouth!!!! How so?

Pro 16:23 The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

The Lord has spoken to me many times through my own mouth. Having your heart set on the things of God connects you directly to the heart of God. Knowing this is very very powerful to us.

Pro 16:1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.

Write these scriptures down, memorize them, confess them out of your mouth. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Faith does not come by what you have heard (past tense) but by what you are hearing now!!!

Back