Replacement Theology, True Or False?

Can someone explain to me replacement theology? I have heard one person say it is the belief that the church replaces Israel or something like that.

In one sense I can understand it if it means that salvation is now only through Christ however there are those who believe you need to be grafted into Israel and that a native Israelite can be still saved by the old ways. So I am not sure exactly what it means.

That is right.. It is the belief that Church has replaced Israel.. I think dispensationalism is the opposite of this.. Church is totally different from Israel and it was a "mystery" revealed in the day of Pentecost.. I think in both replacement theology and dispensationalism, it is very clear that Jesus is the only way to salvation.. There is no other way.. There are lot of differences in understanding the end times.. I guess that's where the major differences would come.. Otherwise both these camps would be able to agree on most of the other doctrines..

http://www.gotquestions.org/replacement-theology.html

Ro 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

I really don't understand the big debate either? I think end-times teachers need certain Old Testament scriptures thats written to Israel to prove some doctrine they have formed in regards to the last days. Now to me it is clear that the promises to Israel are very much valid but are dependent upon faith in Christ. Funny I was kinda thinking about this when I woke this AM? That we love them, not based on their works but based upon Gods election. They are loved because God has chosen them, but because they reject the gospel they are enemies. I love many in the "church" because I do believe that God has called many that profess Christ but they have not the gospel of grace, and have become my enemy, for the gospels sake.

From the gotquestions link it seems as though there is a debate as to whether some scriptures refer to allegorical Israel or literal Israel. Does anyone know which scriptures are being debated? Just the New Testament ones? Or the ones in old testament books like Zechariah also?

From the gotquestions link it seems as though there is a debate as to whether some scriptures refer to allegorical Israel or literal Israel. Does anyone know which scriptures are being debated? Just the New Testament ones? Or the ones in old testament books like Zechariah also?
See I think that's the issue, that "Israel" is symbolic of the church in that "Israel" represents the children of promise, or those who are called according to promise. But it takes some real honesty not to just take hold of that truth and pervert what is being promised in the scriptures, especially by those who have these end-time doctrines they are trying to prove to others. Don't trust anyone who is saying that these promises are not still valid to Israel "in the flesh" and don't trust anyone who rejects that the Church is the true people of promise. I would take each scripture in context and judge each one according to the gospel without trying to form a end-time doctrine.

The church is the church and Israel is Israel. God made promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob which have not been fulfilled as of yet.

Some insist that the church has replaced Israel and will receive the promises made to Israel but there are "O", NONE, Scripture to substantiate that claim. Now, there are several verses that people who insist the church has REPLACED Israel use as a basis for their opinion but those Scriptures must be "made to fit" the opinion because that is not what there were intended to mean.

1 Peter 2:9 says,
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”

Notice this verse doesn’t disqualify Israel from anything. It doesn’t say the Church has become the chosen people, as if we’ve been chosen in place of Israel, just that we’re a chosen people. That is what I mean when I say the verses they use are FORCED to say something they never said.

Romans 11:25-29 is another clear example showing that after the church is taken by the event of the Rapture, Israel will be saved.

Like others said, that is the problem :) There is no Bible verse which would indicate that church has replaced Israel.. The difference is literal interpretation of scripture vs allegorizing scripture..

Back