Responsibility Free

I do not interpret (nor do some Bible commentators) verse 20 to be descriptive of believers but of those who were attempting to be accepted by believers. The confirmation of this is the fact of their finale lifestyle manifesting no change, like the dog and the pig in verse 22, always returning outwardly to who and what they still are. The "escaping" speaks only to a false sense of believing the Lord Jesus, for acceptance and conscience sake (Mat 23:28).

Considering the preceding verses describe these in verses 20-22, I wouldn't think it sensible to consider them accepting anything beyond only knowledge of Christ, esp. not receiving faith in Him, or He would have changed them like all the others who believe.

A Barnes - "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world" - This does not necessarily mean that they had been true Christians, and had fallen from grace. People may outwardly reform, and escape from the open corruptions which prevail around them, or which they had themselves practiced, and still have no true grace at heart.

John Gill (1697–1771) "Through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" - Neither does this imply that they were true Christians, or that they had ever had any saving knowledge of the Redeemer. There is a knowledge of the doctrines and duties of religion which may lead sinners to abandon their outward vices, which has no connection with saving grace. They may profess religion, and may know enough of religion to understand that it requires them to abandon their vicious habits, and still never be true Christians.

"Through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." by which "knowledge" is meant, not a spiritual experimental knowledge of Christ, for that is eternal life, the beginning, pledge, and earnest of it; but a notional knowledge of Christ, or a profession of knowledge of him, for it may be rendered "acknowledgment"; or rather the Gospel of Christ, which, being only notionally received, may have such an effect on men, as outwardly to reform their lives, at least in some instances, and for a while, in whose hearts it has no place.
Net Chaplain, the warnings are given to believers. An unbeliever cannot fall into unbelief. They are already there.

It turns my understanding of what I'm reading toward those who return to their own sin, to my own understanding starting with me, and my walk with Christ. The Responsibility Free is my responsibility of a genuine relationship with God. I feel if I pretend with Him, then I could very well pretend with others just to be a part of the crowd.

We need to look at the bigger picture, "what are we going to do and who are we to be should Jesus come back tomorrow?
Good humility and sincerity Bob! With everyone who profess Christianity there is an inward and outward evidence of it. Everyone professing Christ has an inward and outward evidence that manifests whether or not the professor is truly reborn. The Spirit confirms the inward evidence for those reborn (Rom 8:16) and the outward evidence of the walk will not cease. But the outward evidence of a professor who is not reborn will eventually manifest a discontinuance of a hypocritical Christian profession.

Therefore, when Scripture indicates a falling away or a departing from the faith, it's not salvation they are leaving but a false appearance of Christianity, for they have yet to be reborn. Of course this is with the assumption that they will never truly desire to be saved.

Net Chaplain, the warnings are given to believers. An unbeliever cannot fall into unbelief. They are already there.
I see them as admonitions to believers in identifying unbelief, and warnings to unbelievers to encourage belief. I like your insight, but where does Scripture indicate a believer becoming and unbeliever?

I see them as admonitions to believers in identifying unbelief, and warnings to unbelievers to encourage belief. I like your insight, but
where does Scripture indicate a believer becoming and unbeliever?
Solomon for one, read 1 Kings 11.

You don't get it do you. You have to know the Lord and be saved before you can lose your salvation.

You cannot lose something you never had.

Solomon for one, read 1 Kings 11.

You don't get it do you. You have to know the Lord and be saved before you can lose your salvation.

You cannot lose something you never had.
I don't think any OT example qualifies for this discussion, because my point concerns those who are reborn in Christ.
Besides, I see 1 Kings 11 only showing his disobedience to God but nothing about him disbelieving. In the OT, believers did not have the new nature from Christ nor the indwelling of the Spirit through which "God works in you to desire and do His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13). God never ceases to cause believers to live according to His desires, because the "work" is "irrevocable" (Rom 11:29 NKJV), and is why believers never cease from this.

I think this answers why the work of God within those in the OT concerning their walk can be different from those reborn. If one who professes faith is obviously living in sin, God has yet to dwell and "work" him.

What many call loosing salvation (not referencing you here personally, just the generality of all) is to me loosing or dropping their hypocrisy.

God bless!

I don't think any OT example qualifies for this discussion, because my point concerns those who are reborn in Christ.
Besides, I see 1 Kings 11 only showing his disobedience to God but nothing about him disbelieving. In the OT, believers did not have the new nature from Christ nor the indwelling of the Spirit through which "God works in you to desire and do His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13). God never ceases to cause believers to live according to His desires, because the "work" is "irrevocable" (Rom 11:29 NKJV), and is why believers never cease from this.

I think this answers why the work of God within those in the OT concerning their walk can be different from those reborn. If one who professes faith is obviously living in sin, God has yet to dwell and "work" him.

What many call loosing salvation (not referencing you here personally, just the generality of all) is to me loosing or dropping their hypocrisy.

God bless!

Back