Revelation 1

Revelation 1

I was having a read of this today and was a bit confused about verses 12 - 16.

12I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man,"[b]dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

It just seems like quite an odd image - his hair and head white, but his feet like bronze glowing in a furnace which would be red - in other translations I think it says as if burnt by the furnace which would be a darker colour. I mean, it doesn't matter what Jesus looks like but is this meant to be a literal description? ....... and the double edged sword coming out of his mouth..

I don't understand :(:confused:

Please help:)

God Bless

KitKat - When John wrote the Book of Revelation, it was done in the 'street' Greek or 'country' Greek language. It is filled with symbology from the Greek language that the King James era translators just couldn't deal with very well at times.

I'd like you to click on the Chapter and Verse link at the very end of my post, here, to go to the New Living Translation which does a fairly good job of capturing the essence of the original Greek manuscript texts. Please read the entire NLT Chapter and you will pick up the subject early in the verses which then carries forth into the verses that you are having a hard time with.

Perhaps this will give you a different perspective on the contents of Revelation 1:1-19 (NLT). <<< click on highlighted Chapter <<<

Thank you, Pastor Gary! That makes more sense now though Revelation is still the book I am struggling with most so far... but in a nice, challenging way. You don't happen to know the symbology behind the sharp two edged sword that comes from his mouth do you? It just seems a bit of a weird image.

The New Living Translation definitely helps with the image presented though. Thank you so much!

God Bless :D

KitKat - When John wrote the Book of Revelation, it was done in the 'street' Greek or 'country' Greek language. It is filled with symbology from the Greek language that the King James era translators just couldn't deal with very well at times.

I'd like you to click on the Chapter and Verse link at the very end of my post, here, to go to the New Living Translation which does a fairly good job of capturing the essence of the original Greek manuscript texts. Please read the entire NLT Chapter and you will pick up the subject early in the verses which then carries forth into the verses that you are having a hard time with.

Perhaps this will give you a different perspective on the contents of Revelation 1:1-19 (NLT). <<< click on highlighted Chapter <<<

Sure, KitKat: From the Greek, the sharp two edged Sword is not 'wielded' by hand, so it is not an actual metal impliment. Rather, it is symbolic in the Greek manuscripts as "going forth" - as a thought process and action from Christ presented to others. Remember, this text is aimed at the Seven Churches of Christ's day that he personally evaluated in His own lifetime. Christ only found that two of the Churches were teaching properly - the other 5 were given severe admonishments in Revelation 2-3 (NLT).

Now, in Revelation 1:16 (NLT), we see that this text is a statement of His Word being of universal absolute power in carrying out His Will in punishing sinners or rewarding those who fall away from sin and follow His Gospel teachings. It is the Sword of His Spirit... casting 'blame and punishment', rather than its converting winning power. This is the most important concept in that verse. He encourages the churches, as well as threatens them with 'The Sword'... it's two edges (back and front) allude to its double efficiency, condemning some, converting others.

Remember, that He (Christ) holds seven stars in His right hand - [the number 7 in Biblical numerics is 'spiritual completeness and the Right Hand is that of good and righteousness...] His Word is Good and Righteous and the sharp two edged Sword is ready to punish the churches who teach falsely and reward the churches who teach properly.

Hope that helps you.

`

There are as many opinions on Revelations as there are stars in a clear winter sky.
Just some thoughts- much of the symbolism here is directly connected to and reflected in the Tabernacle Moses constructed to worship God in the wilderness (at God's request and according to His plan). This entire Tabernacle was a picture, a type and a shadow of Christ's sacrifice, redemption and making a way for man and God to meet..

I was having a read of this today and was a bit confused about verses 12 - 16.

12I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man,"[b]dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

It just seems like quite an odd image - his hair and head white,
White is the color of purity
but his feet like bronze glowing in a furnace which would be red - in other translations I think it says as if burnt by the furnace which would be a darker colour. I mean, it doesn't matter what Jesus looks like but is this meant to be a literal description?
Bronze and/or brass depending on the translation was always used as a symbol of judgement. In the Tabernacle only one of two metals would ever touch earth (man was formed out of the dust of the earth) one would be Brass (or bronze) and the other silver which always was used as payment to redeem from death
....... and the double edged sword coming out of his mouth..
The double edged Sword hear is the very Word of God which is able to kill and able to give life. It is a symbol of His righteous judgment and His awesome ability to penetrate any situation to see directly into the heart of the matter. The spoken Word of God is unlimited in power as is the very force used to create heaven and earth- God speaks and that which He speaks quite simply is:
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

I don't understand :(:confused:

Please help:)

God Bless

Back