Revelation 2: The Church Of Ephesus....

The church of Ephesus… which means “first”… are the first to trust Christ when they will hear the Word of Truth preached to them. This is relevant especially today.

We find this definition of “Ephesus” in “Ephesians”: the Ephesians are those hearts who will first BELIEVE in what they will hear….the Word spoken by Christ…the Anointed. They will be the first ones to trust in Christ in faith of what they hear…..the Word of Truth as preached by the Anointed of God.

Ephesians 1:KJV
(12) That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
(13) In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
(14) Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Revelation 2:KJV
(1) Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

Those who will hear the Word of Truth and believe will find that their former pastors were not who they seemed to be as they had preached error to their ears for their entire church lives. They will find that those who had seemed to be true apostles were not.

The false apostles will do evil in response to their (the “Ephesians”) receiving the Word of Truth. Thos of Ephesus will not bear them which are evil….they will not put up with them as they are found “liars”…..as false apostles say they know God but do not do what He says: to have love for their brothers. They will prate against the preachers of the Word of Truth with malicious words and will cast out of the church any who will receive the Truth (the evil deeds of the Nicolaitans....those who will exercise their authority over the people).

(2) I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
(3) And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.

But the church of Ephesus needed to overcome because they had left their first love. Even though we may have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and all knowledge and have all faith and yet have NOT LOVE, we are nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2).

The church of Ephesus had left their first love as they did not show love to their enemies…..the false apostles.

They are to love their enemies (the false apostles) who will berate them for receiving and preaching the Word of Truth. LOVE our enemies and bless them that will curse us and pray for them which despitefully use us, and persecute us. (Matthew 5:44). The church of Ephesus could not stand the false apostles and showed it by their lack of love towards the liars….which was not being “perfect” as the Father which is in “heaven”.

When we speak words in the “air”…. “heaven”, we are speaking in the expanse of His throne and He hears. God is a Spirit….a Breath…and we are to worship Him in spirit (breath) and Truth…having love. In Him we live and move and have our being. (Acts 17:28). He is as close to us as the atmosphere in which we move and breathe and live in. A servant of sin…evil speaking…will not dwell in the “house” very long…as the mortal body will be removed from this earth as judgment. The Word is also preached to the “dead”….the dead in trespasses and sins…so that they may be judged according to men in the flesh. The righteous shall be recompensed in the earth and so will the wicked and the sinner (Proverbs 11:31).

(4) Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

We are to remember from where we have fallen and to repent…change our minds and do the “first works”.

(5) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

The “first works” are to give all diligence to add to our faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness LOVE.

2 Peter 1:2-12 KJV
(2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
(3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
(4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
(5) And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

(6) And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
(7) And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

For if these FIRST WORKS be in us and ABOUNDING at all times, they will make us neither “barren” nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. He shall give us to eat of the “tree of life”….we shall not be unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will give us to eat of the fruit of the tongue which speaks His knowledge. The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that wins souls is wise. (Proverbs 11:30). We "eat" of the fruit of the tongue.

(8) For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(9) But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

If we do these things….the FIRST WORKS, then we shall never FALL. The church of Ephesus had FALLEN…they had forgotten but were reminded to do the first works.

(10) Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
(11) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

REMEMBERtherefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works….

(12) Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.

To be continued…

Before I make any comments, could you please tell me how you think the Revelation is to be interpreted?

1. Preterist
2. Historical
3. Cyclical (Topical)
4. Allegorical
5. Modernistic or Liberal
6 Futuristic

I ask this because in the past we have seen here a wide variety of explinations on this wonderful book that explains Christ's return. Most have fallen into one of the catagories above. I just do not want to waste time argueing over an opinion when we could be talking about the real thing.

To me, Revelation is prophecy shown in allegories.

The “Revelation”…or the “disclosure” of Jesus... is to a church who will be “awaking” up from its “sleep”.

“Asia” means “east, sunrise, resurrection”. He is the “morning star” that shall arise in our hearts at His disclosure ….who will interpret the Scriptures for us in this coming time of the awakening. At the presence of the Son of man, the sun shines from the east to the west in the darkness of our minds. He is the “morning star”….the rising day star in our hearts.

2 Peter 1:19-21 KJV
(19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
(20) Knowing this first, that n
o prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
(21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

He comes to open up our understanding so that we might understand the Scriptures and know Him who is true.

The “church” is the “called- out”. We are called out of Babylon…the flattering tongue of religious-sounding men who keep us prisoners in their chains of envying, strife and having us live in denominations who hate one another. We are to come out (the “church”, the ecclesia) from among those who are living in error of the Truth and have true, unfeigned love for one another.

He will open up the Scriptures (Moses and the prophets…Elijah) to our understanding. The 2 men “talked with Him” on the mount of transfiguration. Jesus interprets their words in His disclosure….revelation.

Luke 9:30-32 KJV
(30) And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:

They speak of His “decease”….which is the word EXODUS…which means “EXIT”. By His disclosure of the Scriptures to our understanding, we ….His body…are to EXIT from those who are living in the “sleep” of death.

(31) Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

We, who have been “heavy with sleep”, are to awake and see His glory…. understand the Scriptures… and EXODUS from those who have kept us in their “graves”. We are to hear His Son who speaks to us.

(32) But Peter and they that were with him were heavy with sleep: and when they were awake, they saw his glory, and the two men that stood with him.

The churches of “Asia” are to awake out of “sleep” for the day is at hand.

How will men respond to His disclosure though? We are counseled to cast off the works of darkness…..the strife and envy. Many men will have to OVERCOME their own thoughts and ways in order to receive His words of life and spirit…His revelation. Many have been led astray by men posing as ministers of righteousness and have been “sleeping” in the “night” season.

Romans 13:11-14 KJV
(11) And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
(12) The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
(13) Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
(14) But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof

His church has been asleep and needs to be awakened….for He was once “dead” and is now ALIVE. Now we are to follow His pattern. He comes to resurrect His church…and has the keys of “hades” and of death to let us out of the grip of the enemy who has kept us in the darkness of ignorance with their falsehoods and commandments of men.

Revelation 1:18-19 KJV
(18) I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
(19) Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

The churches of “Asia”…of the “sunrise”….are to gird up the loins of their minds and be “sober” towards the revelation of Jesus Christ who comes to open up the Scriptures to our understanding and we are not to resist Him in wrath and contention.

1 Peter 1:12-16 KJV
(12) Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
(13) Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
(14) As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

Instead, we are to be holy as He who calls us is holy….

(15) But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
(16) Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

How will men respond to His disclosure? Will they react unjustly or will they be righteous? Will they be holy as He is holy?

Revelation 22:10-12 KJV
(10) And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

He will reward every man according to what his “work” shall be towards His disclosure….whether good or bad. Some will receive the plagues for their sins…evil speaking ….and others who will do good shall inherit all things as He will be our God and we will be His Son.

(12) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

The 7 churches of Asia are the 7 responses of people to the Word of Truth. Some will “awaken” and do good towards what they will hear….others shall stand up in their pride and contention only to go into judgment.

Some will be “lukewarm” in their response towards His revelation. Others will trample upon what they will hear (Sardis meaning “red ones”) and yet others will show brotherly love (Philadelphia) to those who will speak with the open mouth of Truth….the open “door” that no man can resist. Yet, all are counseled to OVERCOME so that they might receive their inheritance.

He that will overcome their own thoughts and ways shall inherit all things. He shall be His Son.

Revelation 21:7 KJV
(7) He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

We shall be His Son… in Jesus Christ. We are to hear His Son….Christ within us…who speaks through us. He is the vine and we are the branches.....the tongue that speaks His Word bearing fruit for Him.

Matthew 17:5-8 KJV
(5) While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
(6) And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
(7) And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
(8) And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

Some will not immediately recognize His Son because Christ dwells within His people. Some will see “strangers” at first….but their words that they speak shall be His. The 2 disciples who walked toward Emmaus did not immediately recognize Jesus….yet they were hospitable to Him and received Him.

Luke 24:13-16 KJV
(13) And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
(14) And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
(15) And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
(16) But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.

We will not recognize Him at first…but we will hear the Son by His words. The revelation…the mystery….is Christ in us, the hope of glory.

Colossians 1:26-29 KJV
(26) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
(27) To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

We preach Jesus...and warn them not to behave badly towards what they will hear as it will not conform to their own thoughts and ways. We are to let brotherly love continue at all times. Those who behave in unrighteousness have not "seen" Him.
(28) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
(29) Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Who will we be contending with really if Jesus sends His messenger to speak unto the churches? Some will receive Him and yet others will only see “strangers” whom they will vilify and persecute. They will “kill the messenger” with their evil speaking….and those who will despise them shall be despising Him who sent them to speak to the churches.

Revelation 22:16-17 KJV
(16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
(17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Sorry my friend, but I turned you off at.................."To me, Revelation is prophecy shown in allegories."

The real church of believers will be Raptured IMO before the Tribulation Period and the Lords 2nd Coming.
Those left will be make believers and they will accept the A/C as their Messiah.

Back