Revelation 21:2

Revelation 21:2

Rev. 21:2 (KJV)
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

I never have understood what exactly this city is. Some think it is literal and some think it is symbolic. One teacher I know said it was represenative of the Holy of Holies because it was cubical in shape.

Reading the dimensions of the Temple last week, I realized that the Temple of Herod was also cubical (none of the others were.) It was one stade (600 feet) cubed. The temple was built on a tower, which was 600 feet high to bedrock. It had a dimension of 600 feet square area to the walls on the top. The overall platform on top outside of the walls was 750 feet square.

So, I think this city that was said to come down from heaven is a modified depiction of the Temple of Jesus' day.

Larry II

Larry II .....

I believe this is a city sybolizing God's People ." Prepared as a
Bride "

Why do we say that this is not a literal heaven , earth and city being referenced here?

When was the last time you saw a city dressed up like a beautiful bride? If the city's appearance is symbolic, then the city itself is also symbolic.

" The New Jerusalem ' "
This is where God lives among His people. The picture of God's eternal kingdom that we are given is the picture of an eternal embrace. God Promised this event in 3:12 and in this passage we see it fullfilled.

Why Jerusalem ?
That this " New' " Jerusalem indicates a relationship to the "Old " Jerusalem .

Jerusalem was the capital city of Israel . Israel is the nation that God set apart as His people.

Jerusalem was the home to God's Temple . It was the physical location that meant to point the world to a relationship with God .

When Jerusalem is referred to throughout the Bible it usually is not a reference to a physical city . The word " Jerusalem" usually refers to God's people , and His intent to have a people He can embrase.

The " New Jerusalem "is the fulfillment of God's intent to create a people for Himself . The phrase " New Jerusalem " is not meant to indicate that God will erect a physical. city and call it Jerusalem. The establishment of a "New Jerusalem " is the final chapter of a journey that God and humanity have been travelling since the Garden of Eden . The "New Jerusalem " is the remnant of humanity eternally embraced by God.

"A Bride "
Sin will longer separate God from His people . This is a descrition of all God's people . God's people have been prepared to be received into God's presence . They have been made ready for the marriage supper of the Lamb. The sin that had separated God from humanity has been eternally removed.

Larry II .....

I believe this is a city sybolizing God's People ." Prepared as a
Bride "

Why do we say that this is not a literal heaven , earth and city being referenced here?

When was the last time you saw a city dressed up like a beautiful bride? If the city's appearance is symbolic, then the city itself is also symbolic.

" The New Jerusalem ' "
This is where God lives among His people. The picture of God's eternal kingdom that we are given is the picture of an eternal embrace. God Promised this event in 3:12 and in this passage we see it fullfilled.

Why Jerusalem ?
That this " New' " Jerusalem indicates a relationship to the "Old " Jerusalem .

Jerusalem was the capital city of Israel . Israel is the nation that God set apart as His people.

Jerusalem was the home to God's Temple . It was the physical location that meant to point the world to a relationship with God .

When Jerusalem is referred to throughout the Bible it usually is not a reference to a physical city . The word " Jerusalem" usually refers to God's people , and His intent to have a people He can embrase.

The " New Jerusalem "is the fulfillment of God's intent to create a people for Himself . The phrase " New Jerusalem " is not meant to indicate that God will erect a physical. city and call it Jerusalem. The establishment of a "New Jerusalem " is the final chapter of a journey that God and humanity have been travelling since the Garden of Eden . The "New Jerusalem " is the remnant of humanity eternally embraced by God.

"A Bride "
Sin will longer separate God from His people . This is a descrition of all God's people . God's people have been prepared to be received into God's presence . They have been made ready for the marriage supper of the Lamb. The sin that had separated God from humanity has been eternally removed.

I have not heard that "Jerusalem is not referred to as a city, but as God's people before. I thought the New Jerusalem was meant to be Heaven. If it's not a real place, then, what about Heaven? Do you think we will be living on the "New Earth" for eternity? Then what about the mansion he is building for us? Where is that in the Bible, anyway? I hear about it, but have not read it. Is there really no Heaven, Dusty?

End Times

Well, not being an end time Student we have to remember that this current earth is going to be melted in fervent heat. Peter says that even the very elements are going to melt.

I suppose this planet is pretty much done for and those that are unhappy with Global warming are really going to be unhappy in just a short time.

The Bible does talk about a new heaven and new earth. It makes complete sense that a new city will come down just as the Bible described.

As for were we are going to be?

You have to remember that we are free in Christ Jesus and are going to get a body just like his body.

Jesus was able to walk though doors in his new body, eat and travel from here to heaven in a very short time.

So, I would not think of it as to where your put, as travel will not be an issue, but I am sure we will have things to do and places to go.

Jesus Is Lord.

This is the Church, the bride of Christ (red emphasis mine):
Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
Rev 21:11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
Rev 21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
Rev 21:13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
Rev 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
Rev 21:15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
Rev 21:16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
Rev 21:17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
Rev 21:18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
Rev 21:19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
Rev 21:20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
Rev 21:21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
Rev 21:25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
Rev 21:26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

I have not heard that "Jerusalem is not referred to as a city, but as God's people before. I thought the New Jerusalem was meant to be Heaven. If it's not a real place, then, what about Heaven? Do you think we will be living on the "New Earth" for eternity? Then what about the mansion he is building for us? Where is that in the Bible, anyway? I hear about it, but have not read it. Is there really no Heaven, Dusty?

Do you understand what symbolic means ? Everything in Revelation cannot be taken literally and different people have different takes on it and there is a lot of speculation and this is just one opinion as we studied Revelation this past year at church . At lot of Revelation is what people have translated and no one really knows the exact meaning . And we will not know until Jesus comes.

I know and understand this can be very contraversial and each one has a different interpretation and I am not saying mine is right as that is just what we were taught .

Important to all readers

Please I ask every one to be very considerate of each one's interpretation and not be arguementative as I said every one has a different interpretation and we should just read but not pass judgement on each the way they have been taught .

Thank you all for your consideration.

The Moderator Team

Good Point

Good Point Dusty.

We know for a fact the earth is going to melt in a red goo. Many scriptures point that out as fact.

The arguments come from time frames because of the way Revelation was written.

The other thing is The Holy Ghost can not be on this earth if Satan is going to have full power and authority. So all those creatures and things revelations talk about may be literal as we can not have a full concept of what is really in the realm of the spirit made ready to manifest on material earth.

God does have beast with multiple eyes hanging out in his throne room, which is going to be pretty cool to see once we get there.

The things like the horseman riding on earth is probably just demonic spirits that nobody can see and may not even make a connection right away.

I don't like Christians arguing over the book of Revelation, just stay with the Lord and put his Kingdom first (Mat 6) As things happen the Holy Ghost will inform us so that we can compare scripture. The gospel is about preached all over the Word with all the new technologies that are in place today so we won't have long to wait to find out anyway.

Jesus Is Lord.

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
Rev 21:11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
Rev 21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
Rev 21:13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
Rev 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
Rev 21:15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
Rev 21:16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
Rev 21:17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
Rev 21:18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
Rev 21:19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
Rev 21:20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
Rev 21:21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
Rev 21:25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
Rev 21:26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
This description is not of a symbolic city and further study shows that this is the new heaven were we will go to and fro from heaven to earth. Of course only the church will be the inhibitors of the city. In no way is this symbolic.

I think the first step to understanding Revelation is to take what you read literally and then symbolically!

To add my own 2 cents here, just for the fun of it, and not really to cause any rif-raff and such is this...

Revelation is probably one of the most intriguing yet mysterious (don't get me wrong here) books in the Bible. For countless centuries people have tried to interpret it, either literally or symbolically or both. We have many interpretations today on it and it is my opinion that it is whatever floats your boat as God will, in time, reveal what is to happen.

For me? I read Revelation but I do it only so I will know
those signs that show His Second Coming. If I didn't read Revelation I might not know what will happen in the future. I study it for God's sake not my own.

I allow God to do it in His own time, not mine. If He is willing to reveal a scripture or verse's meaning to me then so be it. God is the one who spoke to was it John or someone with a "J" in their name (sorry, I just came back from school and I am digesting two vegan hot dogs right now...yum!) and God knows what He was talking about. Maybe we should start watching and listening.

But then again, I don't want to cause an argument or start a chicken fight. I am just posting my two-cents about this because everyone has their own little idea about it and when we start delving into it sometimes we forget to be kind and courteous to others. Many of these topics have a "history" for being controversial. But, I am not trying to add to that controversy. I am trying to possibly prevent any hard feelings being started.

In His Love,

NearertoGod*

That's exactly what Brother Mike and I were saying. And it was John who got the message from Jesus Christ . Jesus appeared to John near the end of John's life on the Island of Patmos where he was in exile and John records the vision for the benifit of the seven churches in Asia , and for us today.

This letter to John has at least four major approaches of interpretation and has plagued the church with unanswered questions , debates and the making of distinctive doctines for centuries .

Keep in mind the core of our Christianity is faith in Christ , not the correct interpretation of future events .

It is ok to allow people their opinon when trying to interpret Revelation , particularly when it does not conflict with the fundamentals of salvation.

When the end comes a lot of wise men (and women) are going to have some theological surprises.:p

Revelation is awesome, intriuging, frightening, and mysterious.

"When the end comes a lot of wise men (and women) are going to have some theological surprises.
tongue.gif
"

Agreed :) ; one day we will be with the Lord and will be perfect.
This verse is ringing in my ear;

"Those who err in mind will know the truth, And those who criticize will accept instruction." Isaiah 29:24

We will know it perfectly one day

Isaiah 29:17-24

"The wonderful change here foretold, may refer to the affairs of Judah, though it looks further. When a great harvest of souls was gathered to Christ from among the Gentiles, then the wilderness was turned into a fruitful field; and the Jewish church, that had long been a fruitful field, became as a deserted forest. Those who, when in trouble, can truly rejoice in God, shall soon have cause greatly to rejoice in him. The grace of meekness contributes to the increase of our holy joy. The enemies who were powerful shall become mean and weak. To complete the repose of God's people, the scorners at home shall be cut off by judgements. All are apt to speak unadvisedly, and to mistake what they hear, but it is very unfair to make a man an offender for a word. They did all they could to bring those into trouble who told them of their faults. But He that redeemed Abraham out of his snares and troubles, will redeem those who are, by faith, his true seed, out of theirs. It will be the greatest comfort to godly parents to see their children renewed creatures, the work of God's grace. May those who now err in spirit, and murmur against the truth, come to understanding, and learn true doctrine. The Spirit of truth shall set right their mistakes, and lead them into all truth. This should encourage us to pray for those that have erred, and are deceived. All who murmured at the truths of God, as hard sayings, shall learn and be aware what God designed in all. See the change religion produces in the hearts of men, and the peace and pleasure of a humble and devout spirit." Matthew Henry

Back