Revelation Vision 1. Christ the Head of the Body. (1: 9 - 20)

Here is how I see the narrative unfolding –

This wonderful revelation of the Lord was given to the Apostle John. He was a prisoner on the island of Patmos for his belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As he was waiting on the Lord, He hears a loud voice behind him, as of a trumpet, telling him to write what he sees & hears in a book.

John then turns & sees a vision of the one who spoke to him. It is the glorified Lord Jesus Christ. His appearance is like the sun shining in full strength. How awesome that would be to behold! The glory of Christ shone forth like the colours of light, revealing His character & abilities in a resplendent aura. John was overcome & fell at Christ`s feet as dead. But the Lord laid His hand on John & reassured him that He was `alive forevermore,` & now overseeing the Body of Christ.

The Lord then explains that the `golden lampstands` John sees, are the `called out ones,` the Body of Christ. He is shown in their midst, the preeminent position, as their Head. It is God the Father who called Christ to this position.

Thus I believe we see the first main vision of the Lord asHead of the Body. It reveals Him as the empowered Son of Man, the Sovereign Administrator of the Body of Christ.

`....in His right hand He held seven stars.` (Rev. 1: 16)

What is an aspect of this glorious vision that you would like to point out?

Marilyn.

`I, John, both your brother & companion in tribulation, & in the kingdom & patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God & for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I was in the Spirit on the Lord`s Day, & I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, “I am the Alpha & the Omega, the First & Last,” and “What you see write in a book & send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, & to Laodicea.”

Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, & in the midst of the seven lampstands

• one like the Son of Man,

• clothed with a garment down to the feet & girded about the chest with a golden band.

• His head & His hair were white like wool, as white as snow,

• And His eyes like a flame of fire;

• His feet were like brass, as if refined in a furnace

• And His voice as the sound of many waters;

• He had in His right hand seven stars,

• Out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword,

• And His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.

And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First & the Last. I am He who lives & was dead, & behold, I am alive for evermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades & of death.”

“Write the things which you have seen, & the things which are, & the things which will take place after this.”

“The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in my right hand, & the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, & the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.” (Rev. 1: 9 – 20)

The details of this vision of the Lord, draws upon the imagery of the High Priest ministering in the temple. However this is but a shadow of the true minister of the sanctuary in the heavenlies – the Lord Jesus Christ.

`We have such a High priest who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the majesty in the heavens, a minister of the sanctuary & of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, & not man.` (Heb. 8: 1 & 2)

In the vision, the first group of three reveal, I believe, Christ`s character –

`like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.` (Rev. 1: 13)

`Like theSon of Man,` is indicative, I believe, of the lowliest humility of our Saviour when He became man. Yet we know that now He has obtained the highest honours in heaven and earth as the glorified risen Lord.

The long garment is as the priests wore, symbolic of holiness, yet Christ`s very character is holy and without spot. And the golden girdle was worn by the High Priest to indicate his high office and authority, but Christ, the eternal High Priest, ever lives to intercede, giving eternal blessings.

`But He, (Christ) because He continues for ever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He ever lives to make intercession for them. For such a High priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, & has become higher than the heavens.` (Heb. 7: 24 – 26)

Marilyn.

Then we are shown the next group of three - His hair, His eyes & His feet, which I see as revealing Christ`s ability in counsel.

`His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, & His eyes like aflame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace,....` (Rev. 1: 14 & 15)

The whiteness of His head and hair I believe, symbolise the maturity of His understanding and the perfection of His intellectual knowledge. The eyes are another essential factor for discernment, if judgment is to be absolutely righteous. Christ`s vision penetrates every realm and sphere, and scans the innermost thoughts of every mind & heart.

The symbolic picture of the `feet,` also I believe, refers to the uprightness of all Christ`s dealings. He is perfectly just, never misjudges, miscalculates or misunderstands any case in question. He rewards every worthy achievement and recognises the sacrificial suffering of His people.

How wonderful that God the Father would reveal to us the details of His Son`s perfections. We can rest assured that what He has planned with the Body of Christ He will accomplish it.

Marilyn.

The glorified Lord Jesus Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father `far above all principality and power, and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.` (Eph. 1: 20 & 21)

Thus in this amazing vision of the Lord Jesus in Revelation we are shown His great authority in relation to the Body of Christ - we are told of His majestic voice, the powerful sceptre in His right hand and the awesome judgments that come forth.

`His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword,....` (Rev.1: 15 & 16)

The Lord speaks to many peoples on various subjects, `the sound of many waters.` He combines His sovereign commands and counsel with His heartfelt comfort as He delivers His message in authority.

`And he said to me, ”The waters which you saw,.....are peoples, multitudes, nations, & tongues.` (Rev. 17: 15)

Then we see the prevailing might of His right hand which supremely oversees His Church, the Body of Christ. The stars are symbols of administrative authority in spiritual things, and all such power Christ oversees and maintains.

Finally the execution of judgment or of justification is by His powerful word. With it He smites & by it He saves. The searching sight of His light operates through the `Sword of the Spirit.` No invention of man or of demon can evade the force of its thrust.

Marilyn.

One of the amazing descriptions that I see in this vision is the Lord holding the seven stars.

`....in His right hand He held seven stars.` (Rev. 1: 16)

The Lord tells us that these represent the angels of the seven churches.

`The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches...` (Rev. 1: 20)

Looking at other scriptures I believe we can get further understanding of this picture. In the books of Amos & Job, we find references to the `seven stars.`

`He made the Pleiades & Orion;...` (Amos 5: 8)
`Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades,..` (Job 38: 31)

Pleiades – Heb. `kiymah,` meaning seven stars, a cluster of stars.

In the night sky, part of this constellation, the Pleiades, is visible. Seven stars can be seen by the naked eye, that is why the Pleiades is called the seven stars. However they are a magnificent constellation of millions of stars & are more than three thousand billion miles away.

The Lord has made this great constellation which many believe control our planetary system, drawing it on a vast orbit that takes a thousand years to complete one circuit.

Thus I believe the Lord is revealing to us not only His great authority in the natural sphere, but also that the magnitude of His authority is beyond our human reckoning. He is supervising the Body of Christ over the centuries & throughout the world. It is He who is in charge of the angels, sending them to minister to `those who will inherit salvation.` (Heb. 1: 14)

Marilyn.

Last edited:
The Apostle John was overcome by this wondrous vision of the Lord Jesus and collapsed at His feet as dead. The blinding sight of Christ`s glory, His concentrated gaze and the terrible sword protruding from the mouth, all, made John`s heart tremble & become terror stricken. But the Lord lays His hand upon him and reassures him that He has all things under His command.

As the `First,` Christ is the creator of all things visible & invisible, and as the `Last,` He finishes all things in heaven and on the earth. He has conquered death & hell and is alive for evermore.

`and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength, And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First & the Last. I am He who lives, & was dead, and behold I am alive for evermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of death.” (Rev. 1: 16 - 18)

John was then to write what He had just seen in the first vision, and then what was happening in the churches in his time and finally he was to record what things would take place after that.

“Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this.” (Rev. 1: 19)

The Lord Jesus then explains to John what the lampstand and stars represented. As the priest in the earthly temple would move amongst the lampstands and watch to keep their lights burning so it is that Christ, the Head of the Body, who moves amongst the churches makes sure that their lights, their witness of Him is true and clear.

And just as the seven stars, the Pleiadescontrol our planetary system from billions of miles away, so it is that Christ has administrative authority over the churches, His Body, supervising them over the centuries and throughout the world.

“The mystery of the seven stars you saw in my right hand, & the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands which you saw are the seven churches.” (Rev. 1: 20)

Marilyn.

Back