Revelation Vision 4. Christ the Judge & Creator. (ch. 21 & 22)

THE NEW HEAVENS & NEW EARTH

There is a specific time when God will purge & purify the heavens & the earth by fire. Then out of these cleansed elements God will reconstitute a new lower heavens & earth.

`And I saw a new heaven & a new earth, for the first heaven & the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.`(Rev. 21: 1)

It is the time when God in the highest heaven makes all things new for His sons Israel, in the New Jerusalem (like the stars of heaven – Gen. 22: 17, the spirits of just men made perfect – Heb. 11)) & Israel & the nations on earth (like the sand of the seashore – Gen.22: 17 )

Thus the new city made by God in heaven is complete with the appointed people & so descends to its appropriate area near the earth. It is here that the nations of the world will be guided & ruled.

` Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,...`(Rev. 21: 2)

The New Jerusalem is thus the Administrative centre for God`s rulership through Israel over the earth. It is also the means whereby God connects & interlocks the spiritual & physical realms. The symbol of this is the `Bride,` representing this connecting & interlocking.

`Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, & He will dwell with them, & they shall be His people, & God Himself will be with them & be their God.`(Rev. 21: 2 & 3)

Here we see the fulfilment of what God had promised to Israel. (Isaiah 54) God promised to Israel that He would come & dwell with them & they would know His presence & His glory in their midst. Excluded from this wonderful life are those who have turned away from God.

`And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, & there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

`Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new,” And he said to me, “Write, for these words are true & faithful.” `And He said to me, “It is done!

I am the Alpha & the Omega, the Beginning & the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts he who overcomes shall inherit all things, & I will be his God & he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, & all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire & brimstone, which is the second death.” (Rev. 21: 4 – 8)

Marilyn.

THE NEW JERUSALEM

`Then one of the 7 angels who had the 7 bowls filled with the 7 last plagues came to me & talked with me, saying, “Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb`s wife.” (Rev. 21: 9)

Now one of the angels who showed the Apostle John the `great harlot,` calls him to come & see the great city of God, `the bride, the Lamb`s wife.` This we know is all those who looked by faith for this city. They resided on Mount Zion till the time for them to descend to their rightful place in the heavenlies. (the Universal heavens)

`you have come to Mount Zion & to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem...`(Heb. 12: 22)

From this `great & high mountain,` the heavenly Mount Zion, John is able to see the great city, the holy Jerusalem descend from the 3rd heaven to the lower heavens, the Universal heavens just above the earth.

`And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great & high mountain, & showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,...` (Rev. 21: 9 – 10)

Now we see the New Jerusalem as not only a dwelling place of God in the midst of His people but a place where He can manifest His great glory. This glory comes through the power & authority of the Lord Jesus Christ.

`the great city......having the glory of God.` (Rev. 21: 11)

The `light,` like a `jasper stone` presents Jesus as the mighty conqueror, the one through whom all this is made possible. The jasper stone is a `blood-red` colour, the price of redemption. (Conquering)

` And her light was like a most precious stone, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal. ` (Rev. 21: 11)

Jasper – Tribe of Naphtali – meaning Conqueror. (Gen. 30: 8)

Marilyn.

The City: a community of faith people, covenanted by God.

`And he who talked with me had a gold reed to measure the city,....`(Rev. 21: 15)

This city is a community of people & here we see that it is being measured by a gold reed. In spiritual terms gold is in relation to faith. ( 1 Peter 1: 7) This community of people had faith in God that He would take them to this city.

`they all died in faith, not having received the promises...Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.` (Heb. 11: 9, 10 & 16)

This is the promise of the covenant God made with His people – a City.

The physical description of the city is a cube - its length, breadth & height are equal.

This shape is that of the Holy of Holies & is the place where God dwells & speaks to His people.

Symbols –

` And the city is laid out as a square & its length is as great as its breadth. And he measured the city with the reed; 12 thousand furlongs. Its length, breadth, & height are equal.` (Rev. 21: 16)

4 square city (cube) – vehicle of God`s presence & voice.(Holy of Holies)

12,000 – 12 tribes of Israel. (12 x 1000, (10 cubed – perfect number)

Furlongsmeasurement - fig. a covenant. (Gk. `stao,`)

Christ is the covenant God made with His people Israel & it is through Him that God can dwell & speak with His people in the New Jerusalem.

Marilyn.

The Gates: access to the city.

We are now given a detailed description of the gates to the New Jerusalem. This helps us to understand what they are representing. We see that gates are the entrance to a city & give access to what is within. Thus the picture that unfolds is of Christ as the means of access to God`s wisdom & blessings within.

The prophet Isaiah was given a wonderful view of the glorified Zion, the New Jerusalem. He saw it with God`s light & glory upon it & that nations would come to the city for the gates would be opened continually, & the Lord would be their light & glory. (Isa. 60)

God also describes the gates as `praise.` (Isa. 60: 18) This has a variety of meanings –

Praise, - Heb. `Halal,` meaning – to be clear, glory, light, to give in marriage.

Christ is the glory & light of the New Jerusalem, clear as crystal. (Rev. 21: 11) It is His pure & holy character that shines forth as glory & light enabling the nations to be guided by Him. (Isa. 60: 3, 11, & 19)

Christ is also the one who brings about the symbolic marriage of the `bride,` the New Jerusalem. This represents the interlocking of the spiritual & physical realms so that people may enter & receive the blessings within.

Symbols –

`Also she had a great & high wall with 12 gates, & 12 angels at the gates, & names written on them, which are the names of the 12 tribes of Israel:..and the 12 gates were 12 pearls: each individual gate was of one pearl.`(Rev. 21: 12, 13 & 21)

12 Gates – access to the city through Christ. (Isa. 62: 2)

12 Angels – interlocking of the spiritual & physical through Christ. (Gen. 28: 12, 17)

12 Names – who Christ is & what He has achieved.

12 Pearls – Christ`s supreme rulership with great wisdom. (Matt. 13: 45 & 46. Matt. 12: 42)

Marilyn.

Access to the City is through Christ.

`12 gates,...& names written on them, which are the 12 names of the 12 tribes of the children of Israel, 3 gates on the east, 3 gates on the north, 3 gates on the south, & 3 gates on the west.`(Rev. 21: 12 & 13)

East Gate: Christ`s Rulership.

1. Judah – Power & Dominion.

2. Issachar – Wisdom.

3. Zebulon – Dwelling, Safe Haven, a Light.
Christ has all power & dominion, ruling with great wisdom over the New Jerusalem & the earth. He is the safe haven for Israel & a light to the Gentiles. (Isa. 60: 3)

North Gate: Christ`s Judgment.

4. Dan – Judge.

5. Asher – Blessings..

1. 6. Naphtali – To the highest place. Conqueror.

Christ is the High Court Judge who says, `Enter into the joy of the Lord.`

South Gate: Christ`s Identity.

7. Reuben – First born, Heir.

8. Simeon – Hear a son.

9. Gad – Righteous.

Christ is the righteous first born through whom God speaks.

West Gate: Christ`s Reward.

10. Ephraim – Doubly Fruitful.

11. Manasseh – Forgiveness.

12. Benjamin – Son of My Right Hand.

Christ at the right hand of the Father gives forgiveness & blessings.

Summing up – the wisdom (at the gates) administered by Israel, is from Christ.

(The 12 names of the children of Israel & their meanings – Gen. 29: 32, 30: 1 – 24, 35: 18.

The position of the tribes, East, South, West & North. Num. 2)

The Walls: Protection & Security.

The walls of a city give it protection & security. In the New Jerusalem this represents the government of the Lord, the Kings & Priests. These people have been previously appointed by the Lord & will then rule with his authority & wisdom. The basis of this government is Christ Himself.

`God will appoint salvation for walls & bulwarks.` (Isa. 26: 1)

Salvation – Heb. `yshuwah,` meaning saved, deliverance, victory.

Walls – Heb. `chowmah`, meaning to join, a wall of protection.

God has appointed `Jesus` for `deliverance & protection.`

Christ`s rulership is founded on His Melchizedek Priesthood. This is a royal Priesthood, one that incorporates Kingship & Priesthood & His reign is one of righteousness & peace.

`King of righteousness......king of peace.....` (Heb. 7: 2)

Symbols –

`Now the wall of the city had 12 foundations, & on them were the 12 apostles of the Lamb. And he who talked with me had a gold reed, to measure the city, its gates & its wall....And he measured its wall: 144 cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel. And the construction of its wall was of jasper;......` (Rev. 21: 14 & 15, 17 & 18)

12 foundations – Christ`s Government – His Kingship & Priesthood. (Heb. 6: 20, 7: 1 & 2)

12 precious stones – Christ divine law. (see chart)

12 names of 12 apostles of the Lamb – delegated Kingship. (Matt. 19: 28)

144 cubits – 144,000 bonded priests of God. (Ex. 19: 6 Rev. 14: 1 – 5)

cubit -Heb. `ammah,` a bond & `emah,` a multiple of 10, eg 1,000

Jasper – the birthstone of the tribe of Naphtali – meaning Conqueror.

It is blood-red, representing the sacrifice of the Lord.

Only through Christ`s blood is the government of this city made possible.

Marilyn.

The Precious Stones: Christ`s Divine Law. (Government)

We also see that the foundations of the walls are adorned with all kinds of precious stones. These were on the priest`s breastplate & represent Christ`s judgment. (Ex. 28: 15 – 21)

Judgment – Heb. `mishpat,` meaning judgment, divine law.

`And the foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with all kinds of precious stones: the 1st foundation was the jasper, the 2nd sapphire, the 3rdchalcedony, the 4th emerald, the 5th sardonyx, the 6thsardius, the 7th chrysolite, the 8thberyl, the 9thtopaz, the 10th chrysoprase, the 11th jacinth, & the 12thamethyst.`(Rev. 21: 19 & 20)

Christ the Voice of God.
  1. Jasper – Naphtali - `Conqueror.`

2. Sapphire – Simeon – `voice of God.`

3. Chalcedony – Zebulon ``dwelling.` Christ the conqueror is the voice of God dwelling with His people.

Christ the King.

4. Emerald – Reuben - `first born, Heir.`

5. Sardonyx – Asher - `blessings`

6. Sardius – Judah - `King, ruler.`

Christ the first born & heir rules as King giving blessings.

Christ the Priest.

7. Chrysolite – Gad - `righteousness & justice.`

Beryl – Levi - `Priest.`

9. Topaz – Issachar - `wisdom.`

Christ the High Priest judges with wisdom, righteousness & justice.

Christ at God`s Right Hand.

10. Chrysoprase – Manassah –`forgiveness`

11. Jacinth – Ephraim - `doubly fruitful.`

12. Amethyst – Benjamin - `At the right hand of the Father.`

Christ at the Father`s right hand gives forgiveness & blessing.

(The Stones – Ex: 28: 17 – 21, The Tribes – Num. 10: 14 – 27,
The Meanings – Gen. 29: 32, 30: 1 – 24, 35: 18)

The Temple: a blessing.

The Temple represented Christ`s function as Mediator on behalf of mankind. It offered privilege of access to God in prayer, irrespective of people`s origin, or race. (Matt. 21: 13 Isa. 56: 7)

Christ transcends the function of the Temple as He is universally accessible, His privileges are eternal, & His storehouse of wealth is greater. The riches of His love, His kindness & mercy, His wisdom & knowledge are all greater than the temple`s earthly riches. And the glory of Christ far exceeds any sun or moon, no wonder that the kings of the earth desire to enter this wondrous place.

`And I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty & the Lamb are its temple: And the city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it, & the Lamb is its light.

And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, & the kings of the earth bring their glory & honour into it.

Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). And they shall bring the glory & the honour of the nations into it. But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb`s book of life.` (Rev. 21: 22 – 27)

Marilyn.

The blessings within the New Jerusalem are now shown to us as a river & a tree with all kinds of fruit. These represent spiritual realities.

The River of Life: Christ`s divine nature.

The `river of life,` is Christ`s own divine nature that is sent forth from God by the Holy Spirit to refresh, energise & give continuous life to the people.

`And he showed me a pure river of the water of life, clear as crystal proceeding from the throne of God & of the Lamb.`(Rev. 22: 1)

The Tree of Life: Christ`s life of service.

The `tree of Life,` with its 12 fruits each month is the life of service coming from Christ`s life. This enables the community to function & serve, being fruitful in every good work with the `leaves,` drawing in nutriment for continuous health.

`In the middle of its street, & on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore 12 fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree were for the healing (health) of the nations.`(Rev. 22: 2)

Marilyn.

The Throne: Christ`s Rulership.

`And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God & of the lamb shall be in it,....`(Rev. 22: 3)

The word, `throne,` represents the rule & authority of God. We know that God`s eternal throne is in the highest heavens whereas this `throne,` in the New Jerusalem is just above the earth in the universal heavens. It is God & the Lamb`s rule & authority through Israel out to the nations of the world.

Christ`s servants (Israel) will not only be able to serve Him but will be able to see Him & have His character outworked in the minds, (foreheads). They will walk in the `light` of His truth & reign with Him forever & ever.

` & his servants shall serve him. They shall see his face, & his name shall be on their foreheads. And there shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever & ever.`(Rev. 22: 3 – 5)

The prophet Isaiah was also given a vision of this wonderful time for Israel where those of the nations of earth will call the New Jerusalem the City of the LORD. And Israel will know that it is the LORD Himself who is their Saviour & Redeemer.

`in My favour (says the LORD) I have had mercy on you. Therefore your gates shall be open continually; They shall not be shut day or night, that men may bring to you the wealth of the Gentiles, & their kings in procession.....

they shall call you the City of the LORD, Zion of the Holy One of Israel......

You will know that I, the LORD, am your Saviour & your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.... you shall call your walls Salvation, & your gates Praise. The sun shall no longer be your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you; but the LORD will be to you an everlasting light, and your God your glory.`(Isa. 60: 10 – 19)

Marilyn.

FINAL WORDS

The Prophecy – Faithful & True.

At the conclusion of the revelation of Jesus, the angel tells John that the prophecy is faithful & true & that the unfolding of these things will shortly begin to take place. This would be from the building of the Body of Christ through to the New Jerusalem.

`Then he said to me, “These words are faithful & true,” And the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to show his servants the things which must shortly take place.`(Rev. 22: 6)

The Lord then declares that when He comes it will be quickly, suddenly, & by surprise.

“Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”(Rev. 22: 7)
Quickly – Gk. `tachu,` meaning shortly, without delay, by surprise, suddenly.

John is awestruck by the visions & was about to worship the angel, but the angel told him that he was also a servant & to worship only God.

`Now I, John, saw & heard these things. And when I heard & saw I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things,Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, & of your brethren the prophets, & of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.” (Rev. 22: 8 & 9)

The angel then says that the time for the unfolding of the prophecy is to begin & that judgment is coming for the righteous & the unrighteous.

`And he said to me, “Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand. “He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.” (Rev. 22: 10 & 11)

The Lord again declares that when He comes it will be suddenly & a surprise, but that He after the judgment will come the rewards, each according to his deeds.

`And behold, I am coming quickly, & My reward is with Me, to give to everyone according to his work.`(Rev. 22: 12)

Marilyn.

Christ`s Signature.

The Lord Jesus Christ, the sovereign ruler of the universe, the King of kings & Lord of lords, supreme above every power & authority finally signs His signature, just - Jesus. All the titles do not change the meek & humble heart of our Saviour, Jesus.

` I, Jesus....` (Rev. 22: 16)

Then the Lord Jesus makes His final profound declarations of who He is. These words are inclusive of everything, everywhere & eternally, giving the whole range of revelation, creation & mediation of our Lord.

“I am the Alpha & Omega, the Beginning & the End, the first & the Last.” (Rev. 22: 13)

I am the Alpha & Omega: the subject of Revelation.

These words, `Alpha & Omega,` constitute the initial & final letters of the alphabet of New Testament revelation. With regards to our Lord He is the Reservoir of all wisdom & knowledge, & the Source & Author of all revealed truth.

The alphabet never grows old & never wears out & is the key to all literature, just as Christ is the fullness of all Revelation, for He is the Word of God. He is the Subject of the Bible,& the Centre of the Divine purpose. He is the fullness of abiding peace, & the Crown of revelation.

I am the Beginning & the End: the Source of Creation.

Christ is the beginning & the End as the Creator & Upholder of all things. His will directs all the laws of the universe according to His determinate counsel. He is the mighty architect of Creation & constellations & the Designer & Destiny of everything visible & invisible.

I am the First & the Last: the Surety of Redemption.

As the First & Last, Christ precedes & succeeds all other leaders, rulers & teachers of every age & in every realm. The honours of His name as a mediator soar loftily above all other titles & the holiness of His character is the personal quality which is establishes His sceptre forever.

Christ the Architect.

This is the Lord`s last reference to His own majestic personality. He uses three figures of speech which signify His authorship, leadership & governorship in relation to the New Jerusalem.

“I am the Root & the offspring of David, the bright & Morning Star.” (Rev. 22: 16)

I am the Root of David: Deity.

This title depicts Christ as being the originator of David`s life for behind David`s ancestry, authority & ability stands the Almighty One, Jesus Christ the Lord. Moreover Christ the Shepherd-Saviour is the supreme Sovereign, the very King of kings & Lord of lords who planned & directed David`s royal line.

I am the Offspring of David: Royal.

Christ came in His humanity as the Son of David, from the tribe of Judah. He was from the seed & house of David, the city & tabernacle of David, the throne & kingdom of David. These all show the vital link in David`s lineage for Christ to be the rightful king, as David`s offspring.

I am the Bright & Morning Star: Prince.

Christ is referred to as the Star that shall come out of Jacob. (Num. 24: 17)

Star – Heb. `kowkab,` meaning a star, shining, & fig. a prince.

Thus Christ in His celestial supremacy as Star of the morning is the supreme Prince & Ruler. He soars above the bravest of Israel`s kings & towers in dignity & dominion far beyond the renown of David`s royalty.

`Messiah the Prince...` (Dan. 9: 25)
Prince – Heb. `nagid,` a commander, leader, governor,

These titles show clearly that it is the Lord Jesus Christ who planned this city of David, the New Jerusalem. He is the architect & builder. He is the One who has the right to rule there as its Prince – the supreme ruler & governor.

` the city which has foundations, whose architect &builder is God.` (Heb. 11: 10 Rhm - Rotherham)

Marilyn.

Christ`s Invitation.

Those who obey God`s commandments are the blessed ones who may enter the new Jerusalem & receive of eternal life through Jesus. But those who are evil cannot enter.

`Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, & may enter through the gates into the city.
But outside are dogs & sorcerers & sexually immoral & murderers & idolaters & whoever loves & practises a lie.` (Rev. 22: 14 & 15)

The Holy Spirit & those of the New Jerusalem (the bride) invite those who are desiring eternal life, to come & `drink,` of the water of life – Christ`s life in the New Jerusalem.

` And the Spirit & the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. And whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.` (Rev. 22: 17)

However there are warnings given to not add or take away from what God has written in His prophecy in Revelation.

`For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; & if anyone takes away from the words of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the book of life, from the holy city, & from the things which are written in this book.`(Rev. 22: 18 & 19)

Finally the Lord Jesus declares again that when He comes it will be suddenly. The Apostle John replies, “even so, come, Lord Jesus”. May that be our prayer also.

`He who testifies to these things says, “ Surely I am coming quickly!” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus! The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.` (Rev. 22: 20 & 21)

Marilyn.

I would like to thank everyone who has gone through the `Unveiling` of our Lord, with me over these past few weeks. It has been quite a challenge but having people read has been encouraging, even though you may not have agreed with all I wrote.

If any is not of the Lord then I pray that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth. May God bless you all as we continue to know Him more.

Marilyn.

THE NEW HEAVENS & NEW EARTH

There is a specific time when God will purge & purify the heavens & the earth by fire. Then out of these cleansed elements God will reconstitute a new lower heavens & earth.

`And I saw a new heaven & a new earth, for the first heaven & the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.`(Rev. 21: 1)

It is the time when God in the highest heaven makes all things new for His sons Israel, in the New Jerusalem (like the stars of heaven – Gen. 22: 17, the spirits of just men made perfect – Heb. 11)) & Israel & the nations on earth (like the sand of the seashore – Gen.22: 17 )

Thus the new city made by God in heaven is complete with the appointed people & so descends to its appropriate area near the earth. It is here that the nations of the world will be guided & ruled.

` Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,...`(Rev. 21: 2)

The New Jerusalem is thus the Administrative centre for God`s rulership through Israel over the earth. It is also the means whereby God connects & interlocks the spiritual & physical realms. The symbol of this is the `Bride,` representing this connecting & interlocking.

`Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, & He will dwell with them, & they shall be His people, & God Himself will be with them & be their God.`(Rev. 21: 2 & 3)

Here we see the fulfilment of what God had promised to Israel. (Isaiah 54) God promised to Israel that He would come & dwell with them & they would know His presence & His glory in their midst. Excluded from this wonderful life are those who have turned away from God.

`And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, & there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

`Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new,” And he said to me, “Write, for these words are true & faithful.” `And He said to me, “It is done!

I am the Alpha & the Omega, the Beginning & the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts he who overcomes shall inherit all things, & I will be his God & he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, & all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire & brimstone, which is the second death.” (Rev. 21: 4 – 8)

Marilyn.

I always think of this song when reading Rev 21.

Hi @Big Moose,

Thank you for that inspiring song, with the great harmonies. I did enjoy it. Made me think, what will heaven`s songs & harmonies be like. Just awesome.:notworthy:

Bless you bro, Marilyn.

Back