Review of Marie Antoinette

Review of Marie Antoinette

Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola) 2006
By NearertoGod

marie-antoinette-costume.jpg

Note: I made some errors on Kristen Dunst's name. I got her mixed up with Stewart - have no idea why. Pardon!

It is rather disappointing that Marie Antoinette, Sofia Coppola's 2006 movie about the famous yet ill-fated Queen of France was not so successful in the box office. Maybe because of the fact that it was less period drama and more of a modern, yet beautiful look at the 18th century culture in which Marie lived in. In a way, it takes time getting used to.

Kristin Dunst plays the lead role as the teenage queen who moved from her native home in Austria to France, marrying the Dauphin of France, (and later King) Louis XVI. At first, she is unaccustomed to the cultural differences of the French court, and it is clearly evident in the beginning of the movie as she struggles with her blasé marriage to Louis, who is unenthusiastic and awkward.

As the movie works onward, Marie's mother insists she work harder to have children by her husband before her other sisters do. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen, and soon people are beginning to question their marriage, putting even more strain on Marie as she deals with alliances between France and Austria, befriending the Comtess du Barry, amongst others, and living in a completely different universe.

The story is subtle, not very extravagant, but is none the less interesting if you sit down and watch the movie quietly, without interruptions. The costumes are absolutely gorgeous, and the film was actually shot in Versailles, instead of pre-made sets, so it was very interesting to be able to see what the grand palace looked like.

Kristin Dunst was a lovely young queen, and I found her pretty and better suited to this almost childlike, innocence role instead of, say, Spider Man. She was intriguing, and was so convincing you would think she was Marie instead of herself. Jason Schwartzman was a cute-in-a-funny-way Louis XVI, naturally befitting someone who was awkward and shy, but none the less intelligent and kind.

Overall, Marie Antoinette is a beautiful, intriguing movie for the right audience. It's not for someone who is looking for a one hundred percent historical account, right down to the bone. If you are one looking for that, I would suggest watching La Révolution Française, which is just as lovely, but is closer to history. The sountrack, which is a mixture of classical and New Wave/Punk-rock bands (think Adam and the Ants, Bow Wow Wow...), might irritate some, but in a way, it suits the teenage quality of Marie Antoinette. I am not one for punk music at all, but I have come to adore the soundtrack, and have found that the music actually suits the movie in a strange, rococo-meets-modern way.

If you are looking for something that is different, gorgeous, and exciting, Marie Antoinette is a wonderful movie to sit down to and enjoy. If you are an average viewer looking for a slightly average historical drama, you might want to steer away from this movie unless you don't mind being confronted with something different. And, for those of you who want accuracy, as I have mentioned above,
La Révolution Française is probably your best bet.

It is rather disappointing that Marie Antoinette, Sofia Coppola's 2006 movie about the famous yet ill-fated Queen of France was not so successful in the box office.
There was a message at the end of the movie (I think) that this will be used for educational purposes for students in France. If that's the case, it would create a greater impact than your regular box office flick :)

It's not for someone who is looking for a one hundred percent historical account, right down to the bone.
They didn't include that part that they were both beheaded :D Well, the producers probably believed that it's not needed anymore. I think it was a good decision.

Hey Neared to God, what do you think about the movie The Duchess?

There was a message at the end of the movie (I think) that this will be used for educational purposes for students in France. If that's the case, it would create a greater impact than your regular box office flick :)

I have the movie, and I didn't see this...but, I don't watch the credits so I might have missed it. :D

They didn't include that part that they were both beheaded :D Well, the producers probably believed that it's not needed anymore. I think it was a good decision.

I know! The ending was okay...kind of weird, but overall it was a good movie. I agree. I really didn't want to hear splat-chop-goes-Marie's-head. I will admit, I preferred the lightness of the whole thing. I like to keep the beauty, lol.

Hey Neared to God, what do you think about the movie The Duchess?

I never saw that one. I might check it out...thanks for the mention! :):)

I never saw that one. I might check it out...thanks for the mention! :):)

You will love it. But kinda same theme though, Keira not being able to produce an heir and all.

Keira was fantabulous (that's fantastic and fabulous combined). She played a character who was intelligent, beautiful and of course fashionable :)

I will certainly check it out. Thanks so much! :):)

You will love it. But kinda same theme though, Kiera not being able to produce an heir and all.

Kiera was fantabulous (that's fantastic and fabulous combined). She played a character who was intelligent, beautiful and of course fashionable :)

I got her mixed up with Stewart - have no idea why. Pardon!

There was a message at the end of the movie (I think)

I have the movie, and I didn't see this...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

This is embarrassing. I reviewed the movie again at home, and I can't find the message. I tried to google it and the only thing I can find is that the film won the Cinema Prize of the French National Education System. I watched the movie last year and I have no idea where I got that. All I can say now is Pardon!

Honore' De Balzac wrote "La Comedie Humaine" a series of books about French society, one of the best and most famous is, "Lost Illusions" I think you would like it.

That's okay! Look, I got Kristin Dunst's last name messed up at the beginning of the review - I put in Stewart. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

This is embarrassing. I reviewed the movie again at home, and I can't find the message. I tried to google it and the only thing I can find is that the film won the Cinema Prize of the French National Education System. I watched the movie last year and I have no idea where I got that. All I can say now is Pardon!

Back