Ribble Soup Anyone?

Ribble Soup Anyone?

My Grandma used to make what she called Ribble Soup. I don't know how to pronounce it, or spell it. It's either Ribble, Rivel, or Rebble soup, pronounced with a short "i". I just wondered if anyone who is German, or has that background has heard of it.

It is made like this: Boil about two cans of beef broth. Drop in the ribbles and left over roast beef (ground up, or small pieces). The ribbles are made of 1-1/2 cups flour, 1-1/2 cups of Bisquick (this was a change my mom added cause there was non in G-ma's day), 1 Tsp. Baking Powder, 1 Tsp. salt, 2 beaten eggs, 2 tbsp. oil. the dry ingredients are stirred together, then the wet ones added, stirred with a fork, so it makes chuncks. Then these ribbles are dropped into the boiling broth until it is the right consistency. Should be how you like your potato soup (some like their's thicker than others. There would probably be some of the dry ribbles left over, so I freeze it in a baggie until it can be used again. You can add the chopped beef whenever. Just cook until it's the right consistency. It's really yummy. I just want to see if anyone if familiar with it.

My grandmother used to do something similar with potato soup. She would put little pieces of dough that she called "rivels" in the soup and cook it.

Personally, I liked plain potato soup better. But reading this thread made me think of her and smile. :)

I did a Google search on Ribble to see what it was and I still do not know.:eek::p:D

I don't really know how it's spelled. It may be "rivel" or rivle? Just thought someone would know. All it is is a mixture of flour, eggs, milk, and baking soda. Cheap and good.

I think it's German, but I don't know what Ribble means.

My Grandma used to make us Ribble soup all the time. It was like Potato soup with dumplings.

I speak a little German, but the word "Ribble" doesn't mean anything to me, but I am sure that is what grandma called it. It could be a dialectic thing, or maybe it's Dutch. :confused:

I think it's German, but I don't know what Ribble means.

My Grandma used to make us Ribble soup all the time. It was like Potato soup with dumplings.

I speak a little German, but the word "Ribble" doesn't mean anything to me, but I am sure that is what grandma called it. It could be a dialectic thing, or maybe it's Dutch. :confused:

You may be on to something here. My grandmothers family was German. I never got a chance to ask her where it came from.

Ribble Soup Anyone?

My Grandma used to make what she called Ribble Soup. I don't know how to pronounce it, or spell it. It's either Ribble, Rivel, or Rebble soup, pronounced with a short "i". I just wondered if anyone who is German, or has that background has heard of it.

It is made like this: Boil about two cans of beef broth. Drop in the ribbles and left over roast beef (ground up, or small pieces). The ribbles are made of 1-1/2 cups flour, 1-1/2 cups of Bisquick (this was a change my mom added cause there was non in G-ma's day), 1 Tsp. Baking Powder, 1 Tsp. salt, 2 beaten eggs, 2 tbsp. oil. the dry ingredients are stirred together, then the wet ones added, stirred with a fork, so it makes chuncks. Then these ribbles are dropped into the boiling broth until it is the right consistency. Should be how you like your potato soup (some like their's thicker than others. There would probably be some of the dry ribbles left over, so I freeze it in a baggie until it can be used again. You can add the chopped beef whenever. Just cook until it's the right consistency. It's really yummy. I just want to see if anyone if familiar with it.
Hi, I've been looking at lots to historic noodle recipes, and it is RIBBON SOUP.

Back