Rich Christians

I agree with you. Jesus never said a rich person couldn't get into heaven, but he did say it was easier to put a camel through the head of a needle. I personally have never seen anyone put a camel through the head of a needle, so good luck richies!! ;)

1) A rich person being saved
2) A saved person becoming rich

There is a huge huge huge difference between the above 2!

Point #1 - Very hard like putting a camel through the head of a needle.. But with God all things are possible.. Yes, He can put a camel through head of a needle or save a rich person..
Point #2 - What we are discussing is not even applicable here because it is Lord blessing him after drawing the person towards Him already

Jesus commanded at least one rich man to sell everything he owned in order to find salvation. Traditionally exegesis tends to agree that wasn't a wide command to all, but that Jesus knew those things would always be a stumbling block for that specific man. However, there are a few instances in the Bible that do seem to back up the philosophy. In Acts, it talks about how the disciples sold everything and gave it to the needy, but that each was still supplied according to their needs. In honesty, as I read that, I tend to see a bit of a commune being formed. However, some people began using the "end of times" as an excuse to stop working, to which Paul responded by "If you don't work, you don't eat". We also are told that God provides for the birds, and that He will provide for us. That is something to which I can testify.

That is not what Jesus said............ Go back and read again............ (Mark 10)

I agree with you. Jesus never said a rich person couldn't get into heaven, but he did say it was easier to put a camel through the head of a needle. I personally have never seen anyone put a camel through the head of a needle, so good luck richies!! ;)

Jesus said............ it is hard.....................

The reason is that a rich man will just pay for things and not seek God's ways or the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God does not mean Salvation or born again or saved.

The meaning is to Rule with God, with God. Don't take my word for it, but look it up in strongs and Thayers.

basileia
Thayer Definition:
1) royal power, kingship, dominion, rule
1a) not to be confused with an actual kingdom but rather the right or authority to rule over a kingdom

King Asa was a great example of this............ God had delivered him from his enemies but when God had set him up and blessed. King Asa had the money and pull to make deals without consulting God. He came into a situation where he just Paid off groups to take care of a situation. God was not happy at all that King Asa just paid and never went to God with the issue. For had king Asa sought God, there would have been a whole lot better outcome and no money spent.

A rich person does not seek God and just buys or pays for what they need. The don't operate the Kingdom of God and don't enter in as they are self sufficient.

Jesus said............. No man has given everything for the gospel and not received 100 fold now in this time........ Something the rich young ruler did not stay around to hear or consider.

The crux of the issue is this:
20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

Some, such as the rich boy example, put all their hopes and dreams in riches, and their hearts are far from God.
God can't quite squeeze in because their hearts are already full to the gills with worldly garbage.
They remind me somewhat of Smaug the dragon, who sits on a mountain of wealth but doesn't "enjoy one brass penny of it" (or let anyone else enjoy it either).

The poor find it easy to let God into their hearts and depend on Him, they have nobody else.
That, however, does not imply that all the poor are virtuous.

You can tell by comments in this thread that some here intend to be very wealthy.

The poor find it easy to let God into their hearts and depend on Him, they have nobody else.
That, however, does not imply that all the poor are virtuous.

You can tell by comments in this thread that some here intend to be very wealthy.

You have not given me much chance to respond to you lately. Perhaps that is a good thing, or not a good thing. Know though I am still watching.

God want you rich (As in material wealth) or God want you content (As in enough to have your needs met)
I subscribe to God wants us material rich to help those who are not.

After all, everything belongs to the father, and we be the Children. God is more able to set our hearts toward him, and not the wealth.

There are a few interesting passages in 1 Timothy 6 on this subject:

6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

When the Bible talks about material wealth, I cannot see it suggesting anywhere that God "wants" us, as a universal rule, to either be materially poor or rich. Instead I see it asking that whatever your situation is, how does your life demonstrate that pursuing a life as a disciple of Christ is your priority?

"I've always wondered about this, and I've been scared about my salvation because I don't see myself taking up a cross... Is there such thing as an unzealous Christian?"

Cosmic, you won't lose your salvation for not being zealous, but you will limit your capacity to enjoy Eternity and where you will be able to go throughout Eternity. 1 Cor 3:13-15

Taking up our cross is being persecuted for what Father has specifically told us to do with our lives, think about it, isn't that what happened to Jesus?

Blessings,

Gene

I agree with Banarenth, I sold and gave all of my wealth to the church and the poor before I came here 23 years ago, I hit the shores without a penny in my pocket because Father told me to do so, and now My cup is truly running over, but, that's what Father told me to do, maybe He wants others in the Church to use His wealth to bless others that are in need, ...I believe it's a personal thing between each child of God and their Father.

Blessings,

Gene

You have not given me much chance to respond to you lately. Perhaps that is a good thing, or not a good thing. Know though I am still watching.

You are watching. Ooooh, scary.

With every post you make it more and more obvious what type of person you really are.

You have absolutely nothing to say which is worth hearing, it has been a true blessing not to have to see your misguided rants.

You are watching. Ooooh, scary.

With every post you make it more and more obvious what type of person you really are.

You have absolutely nothing to say which is worth hearing, it has been a true blessing not to have to see your misguided rants.

I am lurking in your closet Glumdumb............ boo!!!

Just playing with you man.

What do you think about them?

In my honest reading of scripture we are told to hate the world and give away our possessions. Many Christians don't do that (Me being one of them).

Can the rich honestly call themselves Christian, when Jesus said to lose your life and take up a cross?

I've always wondered about this, and I've been scared about my salvation because I don't see myself taking up a cross... Is there such thing as an unzealous Christian?

Mother Theresa is a saint for a reason.

Being rich is risky for any of us imho. We can be the ceo of a top company, that doesn't mean we need 3 Ferraris in our garage... when the rest of our family is moderate to poor. A rich Christian would just need to judge themselves harsher on their love for money.

Mother Theresa is a saint for a reason.

Being rich is risky for any of us imho. We can be the ceo of a top company, that doesn't mean we need 3 Ferraris in our garage... when the rest of our family is moderate to poor. A rich Christian would just need to judge themselves harsher on their love for money.
Anyone saved is a saint.

It is all about walking in the Spirit. If you place God over your riches and are willing to do with them as He asks when He asks then you are in His will. Sometimes giving would not be a good thing (it may even cause spiritual harm so it would not be love) and other times it is just what is needed and you may have to give up that which you desire. Still other times He wants to bless you and wants you to spend money on yourself or He has others bless you with material things. Rejoice in the blessings. If God tells you to spend money on yourself then be thankful that He wants to bless you. If you place your money in God's hands seeking His will, He will guide you.

Amen. Yet some are greater then us. Only because they are humbler!
Ephesians 6:9 (KJV)
And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

Back