Rivers of Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I thought you may enjoy this, as I did. :)
-----------------------
Psalm 1:3
"He shall be like a tree
planted by the rivers of water."

Here, the similitude tells us that the man who meditates in God's word is planted and protected, just as a tree in a garden is cared for as a "tree of the field" is not.

Prov. 21:1
"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD,
as the rivers of water:
He turneth it whithersoever He will" -

ie., The King's heart, as the rivers of water, is in the hand of the Lord

The expression "rivers of water" is in the Hebrew (palgey mayim) ‘Palgey’ means - ‘divisions of‘. Palgey mayim is the technical term for the little channels, or gullies, of water which divide the Eastern garden into small squares of about 12 feet each, for purposes of irrigation. Hence the word is used for any little channel by which the water is distributed or divided, especially the channels which divide up a garden. It is used also of the trickling of tears. In Ps. 1:3 the man who meditates in the law of God is like a tree planted by ‘the palgey mayim‘, (ie., in a garden), where it will have a sure supply of water and the constant care of the gardener! Not left out in the plain to shift for itself: to thrive if it gets water, and to die if it does not!.

These little channels were filled by the gardener with water from the spring, or well, or fountain, which every Eastern garden must possess: and then the water was sent first into one channel, then into another, by the simple movement of his foot: "the land whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt from whence ye came out, where thou sowedst thy seed, and waterdst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs" (Deut. 11:10). The gardener did not deign to use a tool, or to stoop down and use his hands. By simply moving the foot he dammed up one little stream, or by a similar movement he released the water in another. So,

"The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord as ‘the palgey mayim’ (are in the hand of the gardner): He turneth it whithersoever He will."

The teaching of the passage then is that just as the little channels of water in a garden are turned about by the gardener by the simple movement of his foot, so the king's heart is as easily turned about by the Lord. "withersoever He wills."

Oh, how full of comfort for ourselves, for our friends, for our children, to know this, and to be assured of it!

"On that night could not the king sleep" (Est. 6:1). A sleepless night! The king's heart turned - the law of the Medes and Persians reversed - and Israel delivered.

Oh, how simple! Let us never again limit His almighty power - for it is almighty power that is required to turn the heart of man. We know how difficult it is to convince even a friend on the simplest matter of fact. But let us remember that the heart of even an Eastern despot is as easily turned by the LORD's mighty hand as the palgai mayim are turned by the simple movement of a gardener's foot.

Dr Bullinger

Praise God!

A tree is in effect a fountain of water .
For if you cut off the top, water will bubble up out of it .
Which is another reason why a tree is cool to sit or stand under . For not only is it shade from the sun it is also a fountain of water .
There is another aspect of it that speaks of when the river is not seen or in a drought the water is below ground but a tree can still drink for it is" rooted and grounded....." and its roots will find the water .
Which is why" its leaves fail not" when many other trees do .
It is PLANTED. It is not like a weed that propagates with the prevailing winds.
But it is planted by the Lord .
It is planted by the river .
"If any man drinketh of the waters that i give him out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"
We are to drink deeply from the rivers of living water and from the "wells of salvation" so that we in turn may become a source of comfort to others with that by which we have been ourselves comforted with .
and become pools or rather rivers of living water .

in Christ
gerald

This is so on point. I woke up singing the song I got a river of life flowing out of me. It makes the lame to walk and the blind to see, it opens prison doors and sets the captive free. I've got a river of life flowing out of me.

Christ, the spirit, and provides the water and the ability to be fruitful our job is to remain by the river and allow it to continually renew, replenish, and restore us. That's my thoughts this morning anyway.

This is so on point. I woke up singing the song I got a river of life flowing out of me. It makes the lame to walk and the blind to see, it opens prison doors and sets the captive free. I've got a river of life flowing out of me.

Christ, the spirit, and provides the water and the ability to be fruitful our job is to remain by the river and allow it to continually renew, replenish, and restore us. That's my thoughts this morning anyway.
Wow, love that!

Let's not neglect to ask God to turn the hearts as we need them to be turned.... Don't be afraid to ask God to show you His mighty hand in the situation you are in right now...

One of the things that I have been seeing is that frequently - it seems like God waits for us to ask for hearts and minds to be turned so that we can witness His power for ourselves....

I am not talking just about the national/big showy news stuff... and I am not just talking about "Church stuff" either... Involve God in "The Small Stuff" - the nuts and bolts that go through your daily life... Let God turn the hearts of those you work with... Let God turn the hearts of your family... Your wife, husband, kids, etc...

Thanks

I take it the "kings heart" refers to the mind of the King.

I dont think so . as the mind and the heart are two different things .

It is the fool who says in his HEART there is no God.
A man in his mind might have an intellectual problem. But pushed so that his heart answers and he will more often than not express a far less certainty that there is no God. if at all.

A kings heart is in the hand of God ,perhaps has bearing on the fact that a king is a ruler and cannot rule without Gods let or will .

in Christ
gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back