Ro.14:1-2

God's_Child

Account Closed
Ro.14:1-2

Brothers and sisters in Christ!
How do you understand verse 2:

1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things:
another, who is weak, eateth herbs [vegetables].
(Ro.14:1-2)

What do you think Paul meant? Who eats herbs or vegetables - he, whose faith is weak?
But Daniel and his 3 friends decided to eat only vegetables, and their faith was not weak.

What do you think?

This is the way I understand it...

Paul here is most likely speaking of the converted Jew as the weak one. The converted Jew, retaining a veneration for the law of Moses, abstained from certain meats, and was observant of certain days; while the converted Gentile, understanding that the Christian religion laid him under no obligations to such ceremonial points, had no regard to either.

Today, we have people like the Seventh Day Adventist (and some other Sabbath keepers) who abstain from meats. They will eat veggies etc.... This is their choice. They obey a lot of the Old Covenant laws, like keeping the Sabbath etc.

I see it as having to do with faith.
Those which believe and have faith will not be fearful but those who are weak will be cautious because they lack faith.

The scripture also says we are not to look down on people who have less faith than we do.

I think the message is right on this scripture. I suggest you read the message on this scripture.
Romans 14 (The Message)

The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Romans 14

Cultivating Good Relationships

1 Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with—even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently. 2-4For instance, a person who has been around for a while might well be convinced that he can eat anything on the table, while another, with a different background, might assume he should only be a vegetarian and eat accordingly. But since both are guests at Christ's table, wouldn't it be terribly rude if they fell to criticizing what the other ate or didn't eat? God, after all, invited them both to the table. Do you have any business crossing people off the guest list or interfering with God's welcome? If there are corrections to be made or manners to be learned, God can handle that without your help.

The point is everyone can have a strong faith, but not everyone has a strong understanding of grace, the cross, thier own need for a savior.

God wrote 10 laws, Levicital priest wrote hundreds more, only supporting the 10. Many people have a strong faith based upon rituals and traditions but are weak in living a Spirit led life. That's a natural result of the process of living a judgmental livitical life.

Jesus looked right at the priest at the Sermon On the Mount, with his hand up he pointed right at them, now picture this: he then pointed to those poor, dirty people that had gathered on the other side of the hill. The priest would never stand with them. Picture the hand of Jesus then moving from the priest all the way around to those beggars. He then said: Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the kingdom of God. I can hear the priest swallow, can't you?

We are all invited to the table, let us not judge what the other is eating. God is the agent of change, not man.

Back