Romans 1

This will be a study of Romans 1, and we will go thru all of Romans in more threads, Lord willing. Comment on what the Spirit leads with you. I know I learn much more with input from other believers. :)
I will be using mostly NKJV but occasionally will add some NLT noted as such. Comments within the text will be in blue.
Romans 1
1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, (A bondservant is a slave, purchased at a price, devoted to another in disregard to ones own interests.) called to be an apostle, (undoubtedly knew what he was called for. Wouldn't we all like to know what we are called for?) separated to the gospel of God (separated from what? His former life? Gospel is the proclamation or good news or special message.) 2 which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, (Old Testament) 3 concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh (as opposed to the Spirit), 4 and declared (Greek horizo- define, determine, declare or mark the boundaries, as in our word horizon marks the beginning and end of the sky yet never ends in the 360 degrees around us, Alpha and Omega) to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness (as opposed to the flesh), by the resurrection from the dead. (The resurrection is what declared or defined Him as the Son of God. Compare "born .... according to the flesh" and "power according to the Spirit". The flesh can only give birth. The Spirit gives POWER.)
5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith (not the law) among all nations for His name, 6 among whom you also are the called (Greek kletos, The Called, specially chosen; this is a formal calling. Other places "called" is a different word, so be careful of the word "called" in the NT.) of Jesus Christ;

7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called (kletos again, specially chosen) to be saints:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Best wishes greeting to the Romans.)

Amen!!!

May I emphasize:

Rom 1:1 (ESV) Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

apostle: a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders

We as Christians miss the very meaning of the word for the title: apostle, disciple, angel. We know that this is true because they replace Judas as an example with Matthias, meaning "Gift of God". So now we know there were more than 12 "apostles" too. The interesting thing is that Rev 21:14 doesn't name the 12! Will it be Matthias or Paul or Judas (he was counted an apostle, Matt 10:2-4) on the foundation. To finish the thought, Paul says "we" in verse 5-6:

Romans 1:5-6 (ESV2011)
through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,​

Separate: to appoint, set apart for some purpose. Just like Barnabas and Saul, Acts 13:2. The first time the word was used is Gen 13:9 when Abram separated himself from Lot. In the NT its first use is in Matt 25:32 when Jesus explains what'll happened in the end when everyone is brought before His throne and separated like goats from sheep. We are to a peculiar people, separated from the world, Exo 19:5, Deu 14:2, Titus 2:14, 1Pe 2:9. Called, just like you said :)

Romans 1:
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all (always be thankful), that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. (What an overwhelming thought, just twenty to thirty years after the resurrection, Rome itself has so many full of faith in Jesus as to be world renown. That is the power of the Gospel which we should carry to others.)
9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, (Serves not with just the body but his spirit which overtakes the rest of his being.) that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers, (Jesus and Paul make it clear how important prayers are for those around us. Cannot stress that enough!)
10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you. (What does this say for "ask and ye shall receive"? Paul definitely wants to go there badly, yet can only if it is the Lord's will. To me it spells out that our receiving is often if not mostly manifested in a waiting period, not unlike a fasting period. If we are not prepared for the fulfillment, then a period of preparation must occur, not only for us but others involved in the fulfillment.)
11 For I long to see you (he has been waiting), that I may impart to you some spiritual gift (he doesn't even know which one, trusting always in the Lord for the power of the Spirit), so that you may be established— 12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. (How important it is to build each other up in the faith. So many today avoid physically going to a gathering of the Church, locally, I guess thinking they are staying purer or ???. You may not need the building up, but I guarantee you that others near you do need it. Yes, we will have bad experiences from time to time, but we need to seek out those who need the spiritual gifts. These gifts impart a stabilizing and strengthening effect upon those connected. You want to increase your faith? Well right here is one way. Blessings over you today.

Verse:
13 Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles. (Paul wants them to know how important they are as in being valued and loved. This is a reminder to us to make sure we don't neglect telling others how much they matter to us. He also repeats that something or someone kept him from coming sooner. His desire was to plant, prune and otherwise help to grow the fruit of the Spirit among them.
14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise. (He owes this to them because of his calling. "Barbarians" here are Gentiles who are not Greco-Romans. In his day, people who were from what is now northern Europe were very different culturally from the Roman empire areas. They were considered uncivilized, rough and tribal. Unwise can be foolish or unlearned.
15 So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also. ( I like the phrasing of "as much as is in me". He is rip rearing to go, excited even.)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, (are you?)
for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
(The Gospel of Christ is the power to save. Word for "believes" is pisteuō which is to have faith, give credit, believe and/or entrust. It is then a giving of ones trust. So believing in Jesus is not mere agreement with the idea of atonement for salvation. We have nothing to give but our life which we don't own, but only have dominion over as God grants.)
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; (The mystery of God is revealed thru faith. See "What is the Mystery" thread: www.christianforumsite.com/threads/what-is-the-mystery.43271/

as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” (Often quoted verse. If you don't live by faith you cannot be just or justified. It is the pisteuō faith of giving your trust, even your destiny to your savior.)

Amen!!!

May I emphasize:

Rom 1:1 (ESV) Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

apostle: a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders

We as Christians miss the very meaning of the word for the title: apostle, disciple, angel. We know that this is true because they replace Judas as an example with Matthias, meaning "Gift of God". So now we know there were more than 12 "apostles" too. The interesting thing is that Rev 21:14 doesn't name the 12! Will it be Matthias or Paul or Judas (he was counted an apostle, Matt 10:2-4) on the foundation. To finish the thought, Paul says "we" in verse 5-6:

Romans 1:5-6 (ESV2011)
through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,​

Separate: to appoint, set apart for some purpose. Just like Barnabas and Saul, Acts 13:2. The first time the word was used is Gen 13:9 when Abram separated himself from Lot. In the NT its first use is in Matt 25:32 when Jesus explains what'll happened in the end when everyone is brought before His throne and separated like goats from sheep. We are to a peculiar people, separated from the world, Exo 19:5, Deu 14:2, Titus 2:14, 1Pe 2:9. Called, just like you said :)

Hello @Abdicate, (Please excuse me, @Big Moose)

* The twelve are not named in Revelation 21:14, because there can be no doubt as to who they are. Matthias was chosen by the Holy Spirit to replace Judas, so he will sit among the twelve on one of the twelve thrones (Acts 1:26; Matt. 19:28).

* The apostleship of Paul is distinct from that of the twelve, he being appointed by the risen Christ (Eph. 4:11,12). Paul speaks of the twelve as separate from himself, which is testimony to the accuracy of the inclusion of Matthias among the twelve (1 Cor. 15:5)

* The word 'we' in Romans 1:5,6, encompasses Paul, and those called to the same office with him: for in the following verse he refers to his readers as, 'ye also'. 'Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ.' Therefore differentiating between himself and those to whom he wrote.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

The twelve are not named in Revelation 21:14, because there can be no doubt as to who they are.
Thanks Chris. :)

I am right and you are right, but only God knows. The outcome is not written as I stated. You have just as much a right to your thoughts on this as I do, and neither answer is really relevant because God chose not to put it into His word, so it becomes a speculation for both of us. A third person can come and give another idea and they could be correct. One day, very soon I hope, we'll know the whole truth. :D

Verses:
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, (I have trouble understanding this verse. I do not see the wrath of God revealed from heaven against ungodliness or unrighteousness. At least on any kind of consistent basis. Is this a prophetic future event referring to the tribulation? Or is this happening mostly on a personal basis with each individual, and it is not widely known when this happens? We all develop health issues, both the righteous and unrighteous, the rain falls for the good and bad people alike, etc. The world loves these people, even celebrates them, so does this camouflage the wrath they receive from the rest of us? Maybe so. Often these people have no peace in their life, always motivated to strike out at Christians....ideas anyone?)
19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. (It is interesting to watch these people twist and turn their thinking and theories to make sense only to themselves.)
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, (19 and 20 gives the indictment of proclaimed atheists and unbelievers, and why all have sinned and are responsible for it. The awe we all have of the complexity of creation purveys through all humankind. Watch any scientist delve into their chosen field of interest and you can see the wonder they have and how impressed they are of how it all works.)
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. (Paul is talking about the history of mankind and how full of themselves the human race was and is. They work so hard to not acknowledge God, they have nothing to be thankful for because they think they earned it or it all happens by chance, and what they are left with is their own ideas and no hope beyond what they see.)
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, (They love to tell you how smart they are, like the global cooling of the 1970's, then the global warming of the 1980's and 90's, predictions of increasing strength and frequency of hurricanes only to find that the cycle of lower activity comes along and throws a big wet towel on their predictions of doom.)
23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. (On the surface, this seems to describe mankind throughout history making idols in these forms to worship in the place of God. After some meditating on this, though, we can also see that humans try to explain God and make Him into a fallible being just like humans and animals and nature. Changed the "glory", or greatness, splendor, brightness or majesty.... into, what? Normal things we can explain, it evolved, saying things like "this is how life develops" of its own volition.
Those who have loved darkness and their own ideas, seem to despise the idea that God would cause it all and that they would have to answer to and obey God. They think they know better and they judge God by putting their limited thinking on par with God as if He has to answer to them. They are unwilling to be humbled for they cannot imagine a higher intellect than their own. Such arrogance. More to come.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, (I have trouble understanding this verse. I do not see the wrath of God revealed from heaven against ungodliness or unrighteousness. At least on any kind of consistent basis. Is this a prophetic future event referring to the tribulation? Or is this happening mostly on a personal basis with each individual, and it is not widely known when this happens? We all develop health issues, both the righteous and unrighteous, the rain falls for the good and bad people alike, etc. The world loves these people, even celebrates them, so does this camouflage the wrath they receive from the rest of us? Maybe so. Often these people have no peace in their life, always motivated to strike out at Christians....ideas anyone?)

'For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
for it is the power of God unto salvation
to every one that believeth;
to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed
from faith to faith:
as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven
against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men,
who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them;
for God hath shewed it unto them.'

Hello @Big Moose,

I was thinking of these verses only yesterday. Yet they do often come to my mind, because the revelation of the wrath of God is here so closely linked with the gospel of Christ, and the revelation of the righteousness of God which is received through faith by everyone that believes, by that little word, 'FOR:' - 'the wrath of God is revealed from heaven ... '

In 2:5 we read again of 'wrath', 'the day of wrath', and 'the revelation of the righteous judgment of God'.

I believe that the 'wrath' of Romans 1:18, and of 'the day of wrath' with which it is connected, is discovered in the book of Revelation. Those upon whom this wrath is poured are the 'nations', and the time is the time of the dead that they should be judged and rewarded (Rev. 11:18; 19:15). This wrath is poured particularly upon Babylon (Rev. 16:19) and in direct connection with its idolatry and uncleanness (Rev. 14:8-10). Babylon is in view in Romans 1:18-32, the Satanic system, the dominion of darkness and the lie.

* Wrath is not spoken of in relation to Adam or of man seen in Adam. Judgement, condemnation and death, yes, but not wrath.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
(I have trouble understanding this verse. I do not see the wrath of God revealed from heaven against ungodliness or unrighteousness.

Hello again, @Big Moose,

I can understand your difficulty with this, but I have had a further thought, which I hope you will not mind my sharing. It is in regard to what is said earlier in chapter one, in the introduction:-

'Paul,
a servant of Jesus Christ,
called to be an apostle,
separated unto the gospel of God,
(Which He had promised afore by His prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
Which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; ... '

(Rom 1:1)

In this introduction, Paul tells us what the 'good news' (gospel) was, that He had been 'set apart' (separated) to deliver (at that time) , it was based on what was 'promised afore' by the prophets of God in the Old Testament Scriptures. So all that Paul taught, at that time, was verifiable. That is why the Bereans in Acts 17:11, were commended, weren't they? For they received the Word preached by the Apostle 'with all readiness of mind', but also 'searched the Scriptures daily' to make sure that what was being taught to them did not contradict the Old Testament Scriptures, but did indeed confirm them.

* So what is spoken through Paul concerning the wrath of God, in regard to the 'ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness', will also be verifiable through referring to the Old Testament Scriptures, it is no new thing.

* It is worth comparing 1 and 2 Thessalonians with this passage in Romans:-

Romans 1:18 - with - 2 Thessalonians 1:7 (emphasis on 'revealed from heaven')
Romans 1:21,28 - with - 2 Thessalonians 1:8 (emphasis on 'know' and 'knowledge')
Romans 1:32 - with - 2 Thessalonians 2:12 (emphasis on the word 'pleasure')
Romans 1:25 - with - 2 Thess. 2:10,11 (emphasis on the words, 'truth' and 'lie')
Romans 1:23 - with - 2 Thessalonians 2:3,4 (emphasis on the word, 'man')
Romans 1:18-25 - with - 1 Thessalonians 9,10 (emphasis on wrath in relation to idolatry)
Romans 1:24 - with - 1 Thessalonians 4:5 (emphasis on 'uncleanness' and the lust of 'concupiscence')

* These references, with those in the book of Revelation give a rounded picture of that Satanic system of iniquity which commenced at Babel, and dominates the nations of the earth still, and will do so until the coming of the Lord in the day of wrath, when it will be judged.

Thank you, Big Moose.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

'And I said, "Who art thou, Lord?"
And He said, "I am Jesus whom thou persecutest."
"But rise, and stand upon thy feet:
for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose,
to make thee a minister and a witness
both of these things
(1) which thou hast seen,
and of those things (2) in the which I will appear unto thee;'
(Act 26:15,16))

* Forgive me, just one more comment please, @Big Moose.

The Two Ministries of Paul:-
It is worth noting that the ministry of Paul at the time of the writing of Romans (during the Acts period) was indeed verifiable through recourse to the Old Testament Scriptures. Whereas, following the laying aside of Israel in unbelief at the end of the book of Acts (ch. 28), and the revelation of the mystery described in Ephesians chapter three, to Paul while in prison, no such verification could be made, for it was a new revelation, which had been 'hid in God' until the moment of it's revelation (Eph. 3:9). Hence the desertion of Paul by, 'all they which are in Asia' (2 Tim. 1:15).

This further ministry of Paul, made known in the epistles written from prison (Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1&2 Timothy and Titus) are separate and unique and should be compared with those written prior to that revelation, in order to try the things that differ: that we may be found to be faithful witnesses of the truth of God in this dispensation; and not found muddying the waters by the introduction of practices which apply to either the dispensations that are past, or those yet to come.

(If you would like to discuss this, please quote this to start a new thread, rather than disturb your study)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience, @Big Moose, :unsure:

'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:
and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;
but the wrath of God abideth on him.'

(John 3:36)

'For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven
who hold the truth in unrighteousness;'

(Rom.1:18)

'Let no man deceive you with vain words:
for because of these things
cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. '

(Eph.5:6/Col. 3:6)

'The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God,
which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation;
and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone
in the presence of the holy angels,
and in the presence of the Lamb:'

(Rev.14:10)

'And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth,
and gathered the vine of the earth,
and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

(Rev.14:19)

'And I saw another sign in heaven,
great and marvellous,
seven angels having the seven last plagues;
for in them is filled up the wrath of God.'

(Rev.15:1)

'And one of the four beasts
gave unto the seven angels
seven golden vials full of the wrath of God,
Who liveth for ever and ever. '

(Rev.15:7)

'And I heard a great voice out of the temple
saying to the seven angels,
"Go your ways,
and pour out the vials of the wrath of God
upon the earth.'

(Rev.16:1)

Thank you for your patience, @Big Moose, :unsure:

'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:
and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;
but the wrath of God abideth on him.'

(John 3:36)

'For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven
who hold the truth in unrighteousness;'

(Rom.1:18)

'Let no man deceive you with vain words:
for because of these things
cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. '

(Eph.5:6/Col. 3:6)

'The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God,
which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation;
and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone
in the presence of the holy angels,
and in the presence of the Lamb:'

(Rev.14:10)

'And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth,
and gathered the vine of the earth,
and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

(Rev.14:19)

'And I saw another sign in heaven,
great and marvellous,
seven angels having the seven last plagues;
for in them is filled up the wrath of God.'

(Rev.15:1)

'And one of the four beasts
gave unto the seven angels
seven golden vials full of the wrath of God,
Who liveth for ever and ever. '

(Rev.15:7)

'And I heard a great voice out of the temple
saying to the seven angels,
"Go your ways,
and pour out the vials of the wrath of God
upon the earth.'

(Rev.16:1)
Thank you Chris, these tie it all together. Especially the words of Jesus in John 3.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,
25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. (God gave them up" describes how we have free will. He allows us to go our own way. "Gave up" also tells us that these people were not created for this purpose. One does not give up something to XYZ if it was already purposed for XYZ. In this verse and more to follow we learn that God's will is not always done when it comes to individual lives. This is why Jesus taught us to pray "Thy will be done". This section describes perfectly how our selfwill separates us from God and His will. God's desire is that all men be saved 1Timothy 2:4, and this makes it very clear that we thwart His desire with our selfish desires.)
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. (Again He gave them up. What I am shown here is God gives up trying to call them to the purpose He has for them. Even though He has a predestined plan for them, these stubborn and hard hearted people have no time or desire for God and His way.)

For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.
27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
(This may be the most significant part of the Bible which is blatantly ignored for politically correct reasons. Even on this site, we cannot discuss this topic for reasons of keeping the peace. I wonder what was going through Paul's mind as he was writing this part . He is writing with holy and pure intent, so this part is conveyed without actually saying anything raunchy or untoward. I am not sure how some denominations can think they have a holy man, or woman, as their pastor when they are openly ... in opposition to these verses. )
One question I have is what does the last part of 27 mean?:
"receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due"
Is it referring to the shame? Unquenchable lust? Physical damage and pain?
This section really gives insight to the repercussions of rejecting God and having Him turn His face from you. Just like Moses' song in
Deuteronomy 32:20 And He said: ‘I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith.

May God keep working on us, even when we don't appreciate the difficult workings. Amen

One question I have is what does the last part of 27 mean?:
"receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due"

' ... and receiving in themselves
that recompence of their error which was meet.
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge,
God gave them over to a reprobate mind,
to do those things which are not convenient;'

(Rom 1:27)

'Lo, this only have I found,
that God hath made man upright;
but they have sought out many inventions.'

(Ecc 7:29)

Hello @Big Moose,

* This section takes us back to Babel doesn't it? When God gave up the gentile nations. Why?

Because they:-
- changed the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of corruptible man, etc.,
- exchanged the truth of God for the lie.
- exchanged the natural use for that which was against nature.

- They changed the glory - so therefore given up to uncleanness
- They changed the truth - so given up to infamous passions
- They changed the natural use - so given up to a reprobate mind.

* This is the answer, Big Moose isn't it, this is the 'recompense of their error'?
* This is such a sad, sad portrayal, isn't it?

* How great is God's grace that He saved and redeems us, such lost and depraved creatures by nature. I think of
1 Cor. 6:9-12, and the words, 'such were some of you', followed by the use of that glorious little word, 'But': take a look:-

'Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?
Be not deceived:
neither fornicators,
nor idolaters,
nor adulterers,
nor effeminate,
nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
nor thieves,
nor covetous,
nor drunkards,
nor revilers,
nor extortioners,
shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you:
but
ye are washed,
but
ye are sanctified,
but
ye are justified
in the name of the Lord Jesus,
and by the Spirit of our God.

- All things are lawful unto me,
but all things are not expedient:
- all things are lawful for me,
but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(1Co 6:9-12)

Praise God!
(for that little word, 'but')

Thank you Lord,
for the salvation You have provided,
in and through Christ Jesus our risen Lord

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

(Yippee!!!!!!!) :) this is a 'spiritual cartwheels' moment.
Thank you, Big Moose.

Last edited:
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; >>NLT 28 Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. (You reject God, and you are on your own. This is not a one time or just a few times rejection. This is a total rejection born of a person's heart and mind. God sees that to call this person again and again is futile and leaves them to their own depraved desires. This is not the end for them, because when they hit rock bottom, their heart can change, realize the state they are in and search out for meaning in this life. We should be ready for this and help lead them to Jesus.)
29 being filled with all unrighteousness (going after what is wrong), sexual immorality (misuse and fornication), wickedness (offending God), covetousness (wanting to take what is someone elses), maliciousness (actively looking to do harm to others); full of envy (wishing others didn't have what they have because they don't deserve it), murder (taking someone else's life for selfish reasons), strife (causing trouble and division), deceit (lie to gain advantage), evil-mindedness (looking for trouble to cause); they are whisperers (gossipers talking behind someone's back),
30 backbiters (responding only to tear someone down), haters of God (despising His authority and judging His morality), violent (wanting their own way so much they will hurt others to get it), proud (living like I'm better than you), boasters (telling you how good I am to put others down), inventors of evil things (actively devising harm to others), disobedient to parents (won't take direction from anyone, even from someone who is looking out for you),
31 undiscerning (not caring what is right or wrong, the selfish desire prevails), untrustworthy (will break their word for any reason), unloving (apathetic and couldn't care less), unforgiving (will hold a grudge), unmerciful (don't let anybody off the hook);
32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them. (Not only do they do these things, but they encourage others to do them. It just crossed my mind that these attributes fit the Jihadists and radical Islamists. It also describes Satan and his ways.

I see these as all selfish at its root cause and one reason I believe that selfishness is the precursor to sin.

Back