Romans 12:1 A Fresh Interpretation.

Romans 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

I started my personal time in the Scriptures this morning around 6:30. I would normally start with my continued study of Israels history in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) at 1 Samuel 24. Normally I would open my Bible right at the portion that I was studying, BUT this morning, something must have been on my mind because without thinking, I just opened up to, and started reading Romans 12:1. All of a sudden I stopped and wondered why I was at Romans 12:1 instead of 1 Samuel 24?

Now, thru the years when something like this happens, the first thing that I think of is "The Holy Spirit is up to something." So I went into my study/research mode and began to look up the Greek meanings on some of the words from e-Sword.net in the "Strongs Dictionary" section and this is what the Holy Spirit and I came up with.

The first indication that I knew that God wanted to teach me something new was when I came to the word "by" I knew that the Greek meaning was "through" or as I say "thru". "OK God, this is different, "thru the mercies" I present? So, as a channel? How do I do that?

The following is how I looked up the words that the Spirit of God wanted me to take note of....
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore brethren, by (through) the (definite article) mercies (pity) of God (supreme divinity = Heb. Theos)

This would mean that thru the channel of pity, that the Father was moved by, to allow His Son to be crucified in order to be the final sacrifice and propitiation for my sin, God would receive my deliberate presentation of my whole being as a sacrifice to find out and to obey His perfect will for me.

OK my fellow theologians, does the rubber meet the road on this one?

I love it!! This made me remember an incident when I saw a child of 18 months or so running and they fell how much pity I had for them, and even this very morning sitting on the balcony I saw three male teenagers walking in their swag and e-cigs on the prowl and I had such a pang of pity for them and for their ignorance. I saw God looking at me that way with my own ineptitude and ignorance.

I have this verse on my monitor at work:

Lam 3:22-23 KJV It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.​

Romans 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

I started my personal time in the Scriptures this morning around 6:30. I would normally start with my continued study of Israels history in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) at 1 Samuel 24. Normally I would open my Bible right at the portion that I was studying, BUT this morning, something must have been on my mind because without thinking, I just opened up to, and started reading Romans 12:1. All of a sudden I stopped and wondered why I was at Romans 12:1 instead of 1 Samuel 24?

Now, thru the years when something like this happens, the first thing that I think of is "The Holy Spirit is up to something." So I went into my study/research mode and began to look up the Greek meanings on some of the words from e-Sword.net in the "Strongs Dictionary" section and this is what the Holy Spirit and I came up with.

The first indication that I knew that God wanted to teach me something new was when I came to the word "by" I knew that the Greek meaning was "through" or as I say "thru". "OK God, this is different, "thru the mercies" I present? So, as a channel? How do I do that?

The following is how I looked up the words that the Spirit of God wanted me to take note of....
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore brethren, by (through) the (definite article) mercies (pity) of God (supreme divinity = Heb. Theos)

This would mean that thru the channel of pity, that the Father was moved by, to allow His Son to be crucified in order to be the final sacrifice and propitiation for my sin, God would receive my deliberate presentation of my whole being as a sacrifice to find out and to obey His perfect will for me.

OK my fellow theologians, does the rubber meet the road on this one?

As i read your post, the Lord is reminding me that pity in His definition is different from ours. The meaning in the Hebrew is râcham...which means to fondle (or treat with tenderness, caress-- websters 1598 ) to love and be compassionate with.
And yes i can agree the rubber has met the road. :)

Blessings

Back