Ruth 1:1-5

Ruth 1:1-5
KJV(i)1 Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons. 2 And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there. 3 And Elimelech Naomi's husband died; and she was left, and her two sons. 4 And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years. 5 And Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
NSB(i)1 There was a famine in the land in the days when the judges ruled. And a man of Bethlehem in Judah went to live in the country of Moab, he and his wife and his two sons. 2 The man was Elimelech, and his wife was Naomi, and the two sons were Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehem in Judah. They went to Moab and stayed there. 3 Naomi’s husband Elimelech died. And she was left with her two sons. 4 They took two women of Moab as their wives. One was Orpah and the other Ruth. They made their home there for about ten years. 5 Mahlon and Chilion also died. Naomi was left all alone. She had no husband or sons.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.
1 Famine was common in this area and was drastic. During times of famine people would often move to other places this sometimes showed a lack of faith and lead to further problems such as it did with Abraham but also could be apart of God’s plan such as it was with Jacob.
2 Moabites were people who originated out of incest of Lot and his daughters, this is not a place most people would go to live.
3 Death was a common place during times of famine.
4 It was against the Law of Moses to marry someone who was a Moabite. They break the Law of Moses. They dwelled in the land that was not theirs for 10 years; this was not the land they should have stayed in. The famine would have not lasted ten years but could have been fierce.
5 Her sons die she has no heirs. Woman at this time are taken care by men whether their sons or husband. She had no one around to care for her.

Back