Ruth 1:11-15

Ruth 1:11-15
KJV(i)11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands? 12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons; 13 Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me. 14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her. 15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
NSB(i)11 »You must go back, my daughters,« Naomi replied. »Why do you want to come with me? Do you think I could have sons again for you to marry? 12 »Return home, my daughters. I am too old to get married again. Even if I thought there was still hope, and got married and had sons, 13 »would you wait for them to grow up? Would this keep you from marrying someone else? No, my daughters, you know that is not possible. Jehovah has turned against me. I feel sorry for you.« 14 They started crying again. Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye and went back home. Ruth held on to her. 15 Naomi said to her: »Ruth, your sister-in-law went back to her people and her gods. Go back home with her.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.
11 It was common to stay back with their people, they may have went with her on part of the journey at this point not quite leaving their country but maybe going to the out skirts heading towards Israel. It was a common thing that if their husbands died without giving them an heir that the next of kin would merry them often times the brother.
12 Naomi was old and without a husband herself. It would not be a common thing to wait for her to remarry and then wait for her to have a son and then wait for him to grow of age to merry her. The story of Judah and Tamar this promise is made though but never completed.
13 It was looked as bad things a punishment but this was not always true. This was done to help fulfill God’s plan. They would be ancestors of Jesus.
14 Orpah would depart and go back home which was not sin. Ruth went beyond what she needed to do and this is what we as believers sometimes need to do, go beyond what is accepted. She showed love to Naomi.
15 Naomi may have expected Ruth to return home as well but she did not, we should not always do what is expected of us but what we know the wants of us.

Back