Ruth 2:1-3

Ruth 2:1-3
KJV(i)1 And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz. 2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. 3 And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech.
NSB(i)1 Boaz was a relative of Naomi. He was a wealthy man from the family of Elimelech. 2 Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi: »Now let me go into the fields and pick up the heads of grain after anyone in whose eyes I find favor.« She said to her: »Go, my daughter.« 3 So she went and picked up the heads of grain in the field after the cutters. By chance she went into that part of the field owned by Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 We learn from Matthew 1 Boaz’s mother was the harlot Rehab, this shows that because she showed faith she was blessed and accepted. It was Jewish law that the nearest of kin would care for the widows.

2 It was common for women to work but Ruth choose to, to provide for Naomi and her and to earn respect for their kinsmen. Naomi and Ruth start to grow close, they may not be blood but they are family.

3 She worked the fields, it was Jewish to allow those without food gather food from the fields enough to live on, this is not meant for them to take and sell. She works in the kinsmen’s field. We learn later Boaz was not the next of kin but aided her any way.

Back