Ruth 2:22-23

Ruth 2:22-23
KJV(i)22 And Naomi said unto Ruth her daughter in law, It is good, my daughter, that thou go out with his maidens, that they meet thee not in any other field. 23 So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law.
NSB(i)22 And Naomi said to Ruth, her daughter-in-law: »It is better, my daughter, for you to go out with his servant girls, so that no danger may come to you in another field.« 23 So she kept near the servant girls of Boaz to gather the grain till the cutting of the early grain and the cutting of the late grain was ended. She continued living with her mother-in-law.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

22 Naomi has accepted Ruth as her own daughter because of her loyalty to her. Ruth was once her daughter in law but also had become a dear friend after their husband’s deaths. Family is not always blood but sometimes is those who give us love, all believers do share blood it is the blood of Christ. Naomi was an encouragement to Ruth, we as believers are to do them same as long as they are doing what is right in His eyes. Naomi did not want her to go into any other field either, this would not have necessarily leaded to danger but would have refused Boaz’s offer of kindness to her.

23 Ruth stayed in Boaz’s field and did not go else where. Christ offered Himself on the cross for us; we should take this act of love and then go work in the field or the world for Him.

Well in those days it was called gleaning but today we would call it stealing. She wasn't one of the servant girls therefore she wasn't employed. (No wonder Naomi told her not to go into the other fields and was worried about her safety.) However, even though she was stealing grain, God still seemed to be with her.

I don't think gleaning was stealing.

Leviticus 19:9-10 NASB
'Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. [10] 'Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Back