Ruth 2:8-10

Ruth 2:8-10
KJV(i)8 Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens: 9 Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them: have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn. 10 Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?
NSB(i)8 Then Boaz said to Ruth: »Listen to me, my daughter; do not go to pick up the grain in another field. Do not leave here, but stay with my servant girls. 9 »Keep your eyes on the field the men are harvesting and follow with the girls. I told the men not to touch you. When you are thirsty, drink from the water jars the men keep filled.« 10 Then she bowed down on her face to the earth, and said to him: »Why have I found favor in your eyes? For you give me attention and I am a foreigner.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 He called her daughter this is not an expression that meant she was his child but is like an older man calling a younger man son or sonny. Ruth did not have to him but he had something she wanted to hear. Boaz wanted her to just stay in his field, he knew by this as long as he ate she would eat. The women were not his workers but like her were allowed to gather from the field.

9 He wanted to take everything she needed. She was not married and many of the men might have tried to go after her and look at her as a wife making her uncomfortable and may have made her want to go else where. He even now allows her to go get water which she may have travel herself to get water for the day taking time away from gathering.

10 This was not a sign of worship but a sign of being humbled. She felt the care he gave. She was a Moabite; they were not often associated with because they were from incest but, because of how she cared for his kin Naomi he cared for her.

Back